dedicated server for radio

hi there
    im after alot of bandwidth for my radio station - i run the stream at 320 kps and i want to hold a maximum of 600 slots ( im already catering for 220 with my hosting company) but i feel its time to upgrade - i hear you say 320 kps why not drop the bitrate.... well this is what makes my radio station and quality is what has sold us to our listeners.. ive worked out though im gona need at least 50 tb of bw or 66 tb max a month- my budget is low so im hoping maybe someone can point me in the right direction- maybe my calculations are wrong.. the server would only be acting as a relay so anything else is not as important as the bandwidth needed.. my max budget is 150 gbh a month.. im not completely up on servers and how they run etc etc so please excuse me if this post has made anyone laff lol.. some advice would be great

thanks in advance

It is a very low budget indeed, but maybe doable with a low spec server.
    You must go for dedicated unmetered bandwidth, shared unmetered will not be good enough for streaming media.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

okay hmm 320kbps for 600 slots. Looking around 600$ with unmetered bandwith. It would be alot cheaper if you go with 128kbps

Quote Originally Posted by silkssss View Post
    my max budget is 150 gbh a month..
    Is that a typo for pounds sterling, or is "gbh" some other currency?

I run the stream at 320 kps and i want to hold a maximum of 600 slots
    OK, that means the server network ports have to be able to send 192 million bits per second

You'll either need a 1gbps port or 3 100mbps ports.

I've worked out though im gona need at least 50 tb of bw or 66 tb max a month
    Well, if you have 600 listeners for 20 hours a day, then yes.

But this is a large network load, many times the norm for a single low-end server (the kind you can get for your budget.)

I'd have thought you'd need to budget around a thousand dollars a month to support 600 users 20 hours a day at 320kbps.

Your budget is way too small, way below cost price even for the host!
    Think about making it bigger, or making some changes.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

With 200 Mb/s bandwidth requirement (600 slots/320Kb/s) (it is about 66TB per month) - it will cost you more then several thousand dollars at least. Unmetered (non dedicated) ports will not be good if you have those listeners all the time. You will have to have a dedicated port (of course) with dedicated bandwidth - dedicated bandwidth costs a lot. Definitely not 150 pounds...
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post
    With 200 Mb/s bandwidth requirement (600 slots/320Kb/s) (it is about 66TB per month) - it will cost you more then several thousand dollars at least.
    Thats not really correct. Bandwidth prices did drop a lot. But he should expect to pay 200 - 300 euro / month for dedicated bandwidth with a very low end server, as an absolute minimum.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Thats not really correct. Bandwidth prices did drop a lot. But he should expect to pay 200 - 300 euro / month for dedicated bandwidth with a very low end server, as an absolute minimum.

I was about to say that.

For 300 euro he can absolutely get about... quad core, 4gb ram, 1 gbps unmetered.

(yes, he can. Just google )
    Miguel Ângelo - Marketing/PR Bachelor - Need Marketing/IT consultation? Contact me for a quote.
    BackupInstance - Backup Servers and Advanced Solutions/Clustering/High-End Server Configurations

Quote Originally Posted by MrGeneral View Post
    I was about to say that.

For 300 euro he can absolutely get about... quad core, 4gb ram, 1 gbps unmetered.

(yes, he can. Just google )
    Sure, that should easily be available in Europe. If he was looking in the US he would have a problem finding a reliable service at ~$600.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGeneral View Post
    Not dedicated unmetered. Streaming media absolutely requires dedicated bandwidth. Shared bandwidth is no option in such a case, not if he likes to guarantee quality.

He should look for 200 mbit dedicated unmetered with a server, thats doable. Gigabit unmetered in that price range will be overbooked/shared.

A gigabit unmetered can generally push those 200 mbit.

And like Wiresix said, in europe its quite easy to negotiate that.

In fact, there are a few providers advertising such connections.
    Miguel Ângelo - Marketing/PR Bachelor - Need Marketing/IT consultation? Contact me for a quote.
    BackupInstance - Backup Servers and Advanced Solutions/Clustering/High-End Server Configurations

Try SwiftWay - 25TB Bandwidth on a 1Gbit port for £155 a month
    50TB for £280 a month. You need to increase your budget if you expect to have that many people on your site 24x7