Domain Transfer after expiry

Hi, I'm unaware of the rules of domain transfer. Heres the deal, I have two domains - a .in and the other is a .com. Both of them expired on 5th November. I purchased hosting with a new company and began the process of transferring the domain to the new company.

I received an email from the gaining registrar to confirm the transfer by confirming the EPP code on the domain. I did this. After this, I got an email from them that they have started the transfer process.

A while later I got an email from the losing registrar that they received a domain transfer request. It basically asked me to wait 5 days ( until 13th November ) after which the domain would be automatically transferred over to the new registrar.

I am confused about two things:

1. Is there a possibility that the transfer could be mucked up because the domains expired before I initiated the transfer?

2. When I contacted my old hosting company about speeding up the process by "releasing" the domain so that the gaining registrar can set me up quicker, they basically asked me to f*ck off. They said they were just resellers and I'd have to wait the whole 5 days for it to complete.

In this day and age why the heck should I have to wait for my domains to be transferred over? Is there some ICANN rule that I can throw at their faces and get this process speeded up?

Thanks!

you will need to renew the domain where the domain is now and then follow up with a transfer...

Note that this will renew your domain by 2years.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

What is the 'status' of the domains. I've never tried to transfer an expired domain and they usually go into a locked status by the domain company.

GoDaddy and Netfirms had options to push transfers out but im unsure of other companies that offer it.
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
    HostKitty Internet Services

Quote Originally Posted by bizness View Post
    you will need to renew the domain where the domain is now and then follow up with a transfer...

Note that this will renew your domain by 2years.
    umm...i just came across ICANN's FAQ here

Heres what it says about expired domains and transfer.

My domain name has just expired. Can my registrar require me to pay for a renewal before I can transfer to a new registrar?

No. Your new registrar of choice can initiate a transfer request on an expired domain name once they receive the required authorization from you. Expiration or nonrenewal of a domain name is not a valid reason for denial of a transfer request.

Note that if the registrar has already begun the deletion process on the domain name and its status shows it to be within a 30-day Redemption Grace Period, the name must be .restored. by your current registrar before it can be transferred.
    Now my question is whether the losing registrar has already begun the deletion period. The whois record says:

and

What gives?

No, they did not. He can not delete your domain name before the redemption end unless he has a reason which in your case there is not.

Your domain name is expired. Gaining registrar has the ability to see the status message. If the message says waiting the losing registrars approval, means you are almost there. Simply ask thenew registrar.

Please don't forget most hosting companies are actually domain resellers and may not be able to see the status message.
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.

I did ask the new registrar. They asked me to wait 7-10 days :/

If your domain is in hold status more then likely it can't be transferred.

Also domains companies don't have to approve transfers out. You'll find that in the ICANN FAQ's as well. Theres a variety of reasons they can opt not to permit an out transfer and being expired probably ranks up on the list.

When our upstream program has an expired domain they change the nameservers and we can't make modifications to the domain so im pretty sure it can't be moved.
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
    HostKitty Internet Services

normally it is 5 business days. Ask why 7 to 10 days exactly. Is anything wrong etc.
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.

Quote Originally Posted by woods01 View Post
    If your domain is in hold status more then likely it can't be transferred.

Also domains companies don't have to approve transfers out. You'll find that in the ICANN FAQ's as well. Theres a variety of reasons they can opt not to permit an out transfer and being expired probably ranks up on the list.

When our upstream program has an expired domain they change the nameservers and we can't make modifications to the domain so im pretty sure it can't be moved.
    I'm a bit confused here. The whois record at the top says, Status: OK. While at the bottom, it says, Status: RENEWAL HOLD. Is this the same as "hold"? Hence a reason not to let the gaining registrar get the control of the domain?

Secondly, I didn't understand your point about not permitting the transfers of expired domains? ICANN's FAQ clearly states that in-case of an expired domain, the losing registrar cant sight that as a reason to reject the domain's transfer to another registrar.

mbulent: thanks. i've already raised a ticket to ask them about the time period.

Renew it now.

Wait a week.
    Make sure you still have it.
    Then transfer it to your new registrar.

I wonder how come you received that email from the losing registrar, if the domain was expired. Probably they realized in time and put a Renewal Hold on your domain, which will now ultimately stop your transfer process. Just renew it now, to keep your domain live.

Don't transfer the domain at least for 45 days after the renewal, since your losing Registrar can reverse the renewal within those many days, thus causing you to lose 1 yr validity.

Btw, some Registrars send confirm links, while others send Cancel links when you transfer out. The Registrars that send Cancel link, are basically confusing you or simply holding you up for 5 more days with them, however thats not wrong from ICANN perspective.

If they (losing Registrars) sent Confirm links for transfer out, you could easily transfer domains within couple of hours (I've done that).

Quote Originally Posted by mbulent View Post
    He can not delete your domain name before the redemption end unless he has a reason which in your case there is not.
    Why not? Registrars can very well delete domain names soon after expiry like ItsYourDomain formerly did, and any registrar doesn't really need a reason not to if they especially don't get paid.

It's definitely possible to transfer an expired domain name to another registrar. I've seen and handled a few examples myself in my previous registrar life.

But like anything else, it's got caveats:

1. Is the domain name still showing the "intended" administrative contact email address?

2. As a followup to number one: if the registrar changes the domain's WHOIS contact details after expiry, will they still forward the gaining registrar's transfer email to the original adminstrative contact email address or so?

3. Most importantly, can the domain name be transferred in time to the gaining registrar within the losing registrar's so-called grace period for expired domain names?

Number three is especially crucial. Unless one is practically and intimately familiar with the policies of both the gaining and especially the losing registrar, one risks seeing the expired domain name deleted and dumped into redemption period before possibly completing the transfer.

I generally tell people, especially those unfamiliar with how these things work, to renew their domain names anyway to spare themselves any potentially further anguish. However unsettling the feeling is having to fork money over to the registrar you've been wanting to get away from.

If this is especially a .com being discussed here, there's a little-known ICANN rule wherein domain names transferred within 45 days after their last renewal won't be credited the extra year with the gaining registrar like Zaffer mentioned. However stupid it seems to some people, one reason behind that is because the losing registrar already paid for its so-called extension and won't (I think though I could be wrong) get their money back should the domain still be moved out.

At the end of the day, it's up to the user to decide what's urgently important for them after trying to be aware of any and all risks involved. At least you're made aware of any and all possible situations.

I would renew that domain before it gets lost. I have had domains that expired at godaddy and they would send them to auction before I could buy them back....awful experience.

Just share my experienced.

+ 28th Oct 2009, gadzone.com expired (UK2 registrar)
    + 4th Nov 2009, I transferred gadzone.com to NetEarthOne registrar
    + 10th Nov 2009, domain successfully transferred to NetEarthOne and renew 'till 27th Oct 2010

So, it is possible to transfer expired domain like I did.

Told you it's possible. One just needs to be familiar with how these things work.

And maybe do an MC Hammer.

Yes, its technically possible to transfer domains after expiry, but not practically so for most Registrars as of date.

Registry Auto Renews domains on expiry. However, depending on Registrar's policies, any of the following may happen:
    - domain is left as is (so it resolves, can be transferred too)
    - only NS changes (Registrar monetizes, but still may be transferred)
    - NS changes and domain locked by Registrar - (transfer won't execute/complete)
    - Whois and NS change (Registrar monetizes, can't transfer since admin contact changes)

In case of OP, the Registrar may have applied the lock after transfer was executed, or perhaps both the Registrars were not checking for the lock, until after the Admin approved the transfer.

There are more possibilities than I covered above, and caveats too, but might get off-topic (and I may need reference, for which I feel too lazy).