Does Domain Name Purchase Company Affect User Speed?

Alright, this is going to be a very stupid question for those of you who understand the interwebs better than me.

I have done my own research and I believe i have my answer, but still would like to confirm this question with the pros here. I have a large website with many users and making changes to it makes me nervous since I'm not that network/internet savvy.

Basically my question is if you bought your domain from Company#1 and originally hosted with Company#1, but then you realized Company#1 was absolutely terrible.. So you want to switch to Company#2 to host.. And you do not want to do a full domain-transfer, will Company#1's slowness still affect you at your new host (Company #2)?

From my research, I'm thinking that Company#1 will no longer affect you with it's Funk, even though you had to tell it the new DNS servers to use (Your new host Company#2).

The reason is that the DNS info you give them is propagated around the world. So, people do not have to go through Company#1 to resolve your new websites IP address, correct?

So, if company#1 has incessant "routing problems" and other slow, irritating garbage constantly, it will no longer effect you right?

I wont need to actually transfer the domain, i can just configure the domain to point to the new DNS servers that the new host uses, correct?

So, the new setup will have the users do this:
    User -> Their DNS Server -> Your New Webhost in Texas
    Instead of this:
    User -> Their DNS Server -> California (Old Site) -> Your New Webhost in Texas

Thanks for any help.

If you change the nameservers to use Company#2 then you will not be affected by Company#1 in the slightest.

Great, so I do not have to transfer my domain..which can a much bigger pain. I just need to point the domain to the new name servers.

This will simplify things.

I've still got lot's to work out since I have a large forum, purchasing tied into it, and a windows application that thousands of my users use that requires logging into the website. Fun

Was Company #1 just bad in terms of thier hosting? If they were bad in terms of thier actualy company (e.g. support). I would probably recommand moving away from Company #1 completely.

Though don't move teh domain to Company #2. Find a good provider for the domain and keep it seperate from the hosting.
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

Quote Originally Posted by McNulty View Post
    Great, so I do not have to transfer my domain..which can a much bigger pain. I just need to point the domain to the new name servers.

This will simplify things.

I've still got lot's to work out since I have a large forum, purchasing tied into it, and a windows application that thousands of my users use that requires logging into the website. Fun
    Of course you do not "HAVE" to transfer your domain. Some people prefer the convenience of having the domain managed by their hosting provider. If you choose not to take a provider up on this, simply point your name servers and be done with it.

If the nameservers changed more then 72 hours ago that will not work for sure
    Instead of this:
    User -> Their DNS Server -> California (Old Site) -> Your New Webhost in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Bihira View Post
    Was Company #1 just bad in terms of thier hosting? If they were bad in terms of thier actualy company (e.g. support). I would probably recommand moving away from Company #1 completely.

Though don't move teh domain to Company #2. Find a good provider for the domain and keep it seperate from the hosting.
    Well I'd love to move the Domain away from that terrible company too. But unfortunately the site is very popular and I'm sure there'd be some service interruption for my users if i transferred the domain.

It's mostly their hosting that's bad. But I've never been able to get anyone on the phone, ever. However, their chat customer support response is fast.. even if it's terrible.

Well I'd love to move the Domain away from that terrible company too. But unfortunately the site is very popular and I'm sure there'd be some service interruption for my users if i transferred the domain.
    Not as long as you change the nameservers to the new company before to start the domain transfer. Once the transfer has started you can't change the nameservers until the process get finished.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I don't know that I'd ever call it "convenient" to have a domain registered through your host. It can be hell to get control of the domain, if you have a falling out with the host.

Go with a straight-up registrar. Godaddy sucks, look to DirectNic or NameCheap.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

If the hosting company can't manage the hosting aspect of their business, it's only a matter of time before they're unable to manage the domain name aspect of their business as well.

As such, I think you should work on moving your site over to a new provider first and then move your domain name to a new registrar.

Why give these yoohoo's more business anyway?