Testing out a colo provider - do you colo a low end machine first?

I'm wondering about colocation but weary of sending a server that's valued at $2k+ to a facility I've never used before.

What do you do to "test" out a colo facility? Do you send them a less expensive machine to test them out?

Do you buy insurance for the system you're colocating?

Or do you just send them the server and hope all works out?
    Upload Guardian 2 - Malicious Upload Scanner - Windows and Linux!
    Instantly scan uploaded files
    Get notified when released

I never colo at a place without visiting it. Talk to the staff and owners. If they want your business, they have to show you they are a solid operation.

Agreed 100%

Its very hard to verify that the colo operation is doing what they are supposed to do. All they can give you is a comfort level that they know what they are doing. Does it look like a professional operation? Does they look like they are hurting for money? Does it look like their staff run around "willy nilly" or are they following procedures?
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

2k system ?? whats the specs.

I dont think you have to worry about it. Just make sure you visit the center and see how they operate first. If anything happens to the system you are protected by law.(Well if you reside in the USA). Also it might be cheaper for you to rent a server because servers of that price deappreciate very quickly.

Try getting a small monthly basic plan like a VPS or low end dedicated. The problems with shipping a low end server are A) you have to own two servers, risking one anyway and B) The shipping starts to add up.
    BudgetVM - The Virtualization Experts
    Mike Gazzerro, Account Manager
    Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Wholly owned by Enzu Inc., an Inc500 Company.

Contact them first, see how they respond, visit places like WHT to check their reviews. I am in Vietnam, but colo'ing all our systems in the US. It's 5 years already and haven't got any issue. Choose a reputation vendor, then you will be fine. Don't go with too cheap to be true offers.
    Last edited by gate2vn; 11-06-2009 at 07:18 PM.

Send in a single machine initially and see how it goes. There's no point sending in a low spec machine unless you have a valid use for it.

Definatley visit the site before taking it further and getting your own 1/4 1/2 or full cabinet though.

Another issue with low-end server: can you really work on it? Or just run some small websites? Then you don't need to work with their team frequently. Also, setting up for a rack is much different than setting up for one server.

I don't think you should worry if the DC is in US. Just have your faxed contract with signatures handy in case of any problems. Quality of the DC you can lookup at WHT or via network research tools. If DC is outside of US - I think you are out of luck...
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post
    I don't think you should worry if the DC is in US. Just have your faxed contract with signatures handy in case of any problems. Quality of the DC you can lookup at WHT or via network research tools. If DC is outside of US - I think you are out of luck...
    Mind you, visiting a data center to do due diligence is a legitimate business activity. If you happen to be checking out the data fortress dc in Hawaii, well it's still a legitimate business expense.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

You should visit the place or send someone you 100% trust to visit the place for you.
    But if for some reason you can't do that I would still spend a decent machine, just saves on the shipping costs and makes things easier!
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    Mind you, visiting a data center to do due diligence is a legitimate business activity. If you happen to be checking out the data fortress dc in Hawaii, well it's still a legitimate business expense.
    I like your thinking! Also do you guys try calling the DC during off hours to ensure they answer, etc?

Some great feedback everyone, thanks.
    Upload Guardian 2 - Malicious Upload Scanner - Windows and Linux!
    Instantly scan uploaded files
    Get notified when released

I agree, you have to visit the place... unless you just want something on the cheap.

Before my work decided on a data center, we talked to the staff, managers, and even the CEO before we decided to purchase.

If you run a successful business, you need a successful data center.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

visit the place, verify network providers and don't panic If they came to a point to have their own datacenter they must have done something right. It's not like reselling VPS plan or webhosting.