to go reseller or not?

Hi,

I am currently on the Bronze Shared plan at Downtownhost. I love 'em, and have referred people to them before. I currently help out have a few clients that I help out with some Wordpress blogs (the technical side of things), and I have recently been asked a couple of times if I know of a good host. Of course, I send them to DTH, but I recently asked myself if maybe it was time to go reseller with them and sell space to these clients? Or should I just sell them some space out of my own shared plan? Mind you, they are not technical at all, so they won't be logging into any Cpanel control panels or anything. At what point does it make sense to go reseller? My question is regards to all aspects: financial (for me!), technical, support, etc.

Any advice or tips?
    Thanks,

Richard

I would suggest you go reseller, i suspect it will make things easier for you in the long run.
    Larry Bly
    Sandbox IT Solutions, LLC.
    www.SandboxITSolutions.com
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Consulting Services

Quote Originally Posted by Richardmtl View Post
    Hi,

I am currently on the Bronze Shared plan at Downtownhost. I love 'em, and have referred people to them before. I currently help out have a few clients that I help out with some Wordpress blogs (the technical side of things), and I have recently been asked a couple of times if I know of a good host. Of course, I send them to DTH, but I recently asked myself if maybe it was time to go reseller with them and sell space to these clients? Or should I just sell them some space out of my own shared plan? Mind you, they are not technical at all, so they won't be logging into any Cpanel control panels or anything. At what point does it make sense to go reseller? My question is regards to all aspects: financial (for me!), technical, support, etc.

Any advice or tips?
    Thanks,

Richard
    You would need to provide support for your clients and if you don't know how to solve the issue you will need to relay it to your host and then relay their responses back to your clients.

If you don't mind handling everything from invoicing and payments and support then go for it but if it's not something you're really interested in then I would suggest looking to see if DTH has an affiliate program and just setting your clients up with them and getting your affiliate income in the process while allowing DTH to do the billing and support
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Or should I just sell them some space out of my own shared plan?
    Well before deciding whether to go down this route, you should first check your host's TOS as some hosting provider forbid any part of their shared hosting account to be resold for purpose like yours.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

I'd recommend you stick with a reseller and as James said above, make sure you read the TOS to make sure they will allow selling out of a shared plan, but you would be better off giving the people their own CP. Makes it easier for everyone.

The big advantage of going for reseller hosting would be the steady income stream. If I get it right, these customers already depend on you. Hosting them should not be a big difference in terms of time you'd have to spend supporting them.

The affiliate approach may be simpler, and may even work, but it may be a bit awkward to request them to use your affiliate link. It might also make them distrust and dismiss your recommendation.

If these are the kind of customers you can likely keep for years, you're probably better off going for the reseller account.

Reseller would be your best choice but if you think you can step up choose VPS even better

I would not suggest you to use your shared hosting space to resell. IMHO a reseller plan will definitely suit your needs. Also I don't know your technical capabilities, if you go for that you should be able to handle the billing and support for your clients as Mike said.

Cool

You might be violating TOS by selling parts of your shared plan, although the host might not know if you have a multi-domain account.
    If you want to go reseller find a good reseller host thst doesn't offer "too good to be true" plans with tons of disk & bandwidth and "unlimited" accounts or such. They might be OK but use cre. Better to find a realistically priced reseller tht had a plan that would do what you need and allow for some growth or a shared shost with a good affiliate plan so when you recommend your web clients to them you get a "payback" from the affiliate program.
    Vps is also an option however recently I have seen some VPS plans at low prices with "big" plans using software that's "freeware" VPS management. Virtuozzo hosts are much better as it's considered the "best" VPS software (although not free)

You have several choices. All can be good or bad depending on the quality of the host and your ability to be comfortable with either their reseller management software (can be very easy with the right software or complex with some) or the same with VPS and your ability to use their control panels and to manage a VPS.
    Start with the offerings where you are at if they have something interesting and you have been happy with their performance, if the plans don't suit you look elsewhere but remember the old "if it sounds too good to be true" and "you get what you pay for"

Remember some VPS and any reseller software can be installed on any machine and some companies use underpowered machines with too many accounts and that's where problems with speed & dependability begin-and also remember if you go "reseller" of any type your clients will view any shortcomings as YOUR fault even though it may be your host. You are still the one they pay so you are the one who gets the praise or the blame for what they receive.

Also I have noticed-I guess because of the economy, the "wild" offers have grown exponentially in the last few months as hosts offer crazy plans - firt yar free and "unlimited" type things are becoming more and more common daily it seems. So be very careful, if your customers start paying you what they recieve is your responsibility.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

A long jump is always harmful. You should first start with a reseller until you start earning enough to pay your server bills.

Even if you manage your own server you can mess up all the things if you aren't into it since long... And starting with a server directly in this case would really be a very dangerous investment...

i would say go for reseller to earn more

If you do decide to go reseller, you might want to consider VPS. It gives you access to the server.

Hi all,

Thanks a bucnh for your comments. One thing that I didn't explain well in my original post was that since these people aren't technical, I was thinking that it'd be easier for me to go reseller, sell them space, and log in to their panels whenever necessary, than it would have been for them/me to do so with another host. However, upon further thought, I've realized that I can charge them for my time in any case, whether or not they are with me, Downtownhost or elsewhere, so long as they agree to have me do so with their passwords, etc. Also, I'm definitely not ready to go VPS, as I wouldn't know how to manage the server. So, I think I'm going to stick with referring them to the host, and leaving it at that. Thanks for the food for thought, all.

Hi,

Any advice or tips?
    Thanks,

Richard
    Normal decent reseller package will cost you $10 to $25 per month. Are you looking for cPanel reseller hosting ?

May be you should try for cpanel cloud hosting at uptimehost.com for $25 per month.

Harris

I would recommend you become a reseller, you don’t have pay extra cash for support, service and maintenance.

Better you can steps towards the reseller right now for earning and learning purpose. After your business will grow you should try to look for VPS.
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    KeserHosting.Com

I would suggest that if you're ok with billing your clients every month for hosting and chasing up on invoices etc.. then go reseller - or you could look at an affiliate program - if you just want cash for referrals.