Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How important is privacy protection?

I want to register some .com domains and they are a good price, but the registrar charges a substantial fee for their privacy protection service.

Is privacy protection necessary?

You'll actually find many people on this board are against whois privacy protection if the domain is being used for a business.

I have some protected, some not... You'll be fine without it

My whois is public on all my domains and honestly I have no idea why anyone would be opposed to this.
    I know some people value their privacy online, but when you think about it what can people do with your real name anyway? And who would care?

There's no reason to hide your name simply to hide it imo

Thanks for your advice

Here's a link maybe worth checking:

Court Rules That Using Domain Registration Privacy Services Represents 'Material Falsification'
    http://techdirt.com/articles/20091029/1744166723.shtml

I have a customer and they own 2 subsidiaries. But they don't want their customers to know that both companies are owned by the same entity, so they want me to hide the domain details.

They are running a pyramid investment scheme. Nothing illegal but kind of *shady*
    DigiPun.ch
    An Awesome Digital Punch Clock
    Release date: October 1st

Quote Originally Posted by BurakUeda View Post
    I have a customer and they own 2 subsidiaries. But they don't want their customers to know that both companies are owned by the same entity, so they want me to hide the domain details.

They are running a pyramid investment scheme. Nothing illegal but kind of *shady*
    Pyramid investment scheme's are illegal to the best of my knowledge in the USA and most webhosting companys forbird the hosting of it. Furthermore anything with the word scheme and legal is shady.

There are plenty of domain companies that provide free privacy protection. Find yourself a a company that'll do it for free. I can see it being important if the only address you have is of your residence but other then that most people have a po box they could utilize for any mail.

It's always tough to do business with companies that utilize privacy protection. There are some rather large popular e-commerce sites that have privacy protection and you have to ask yourself what they are trying to hide.
    Last edited by woods01; 11-07-2009 at 06:15 AM.
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
    HostKitty Internet Services

Quote Originally Posted by pinter286 View Post
    I want to register some .com domains and they are a good price, but the registrar charges a substantial fee for their privacy protection service.

Is privacy protection necessary?
    it is very easy - if you want your name to be hidden, buy privacy protection, if you don't mind everyone having access to your name, address and phone number - pay for privacy p.

I agree with someone saying here that domains used for business site would better have their data open for people to know who they deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by BurakUeda View Post

Not saying I aprove, but I would consider reg. the domains personaly to individual directors[or even directors parteners], they could arrange to 'permit' or rent the use of the domains to the 'Parent Company'.

Just trying to get peoples grey cells working 'outside the box'.

maybe some guys like me just want to avoid junk e-mail harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeow View Post
    but... Whois Protection do forward e-mails to your real e-mail, no? They create forwarders if i am not mistaken

I have a domain with namecheap and yes, there are forwarder email using "fake protected email" listed in whois.

But, as I'm a customer, I never put a trust for company with whois protected.

Personally I don't think privacy protection is extremely important if you don't plan doing "bad" things with your domain.

Sure, a large number pf persons prefer privacy protection to be enabled, but everything depends on your site. If it's just a simple site, I don't think you need this feature.
    Hosting24.com Web Hosting - First class web hosting services.
    Boxbilling - Complete billing, invoicing and client management system.

Yes I second the motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosting24 View Post
    Personally I don't think privacy protection is extremely important if you don't plan doing "bad" things with your domain.

Sure, a large number pf persons prefer privacy protection to be enabled, but everything depends on your site. If it's just a simple site, I don't think you need this feature.
    That's true. If it just a simple maybe you will not going to used any protection ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NotanAngel View Post
    but... Whois Protection do forward e-mails to your real e-mail, no? They create forwarders if i am not mistaken
    Yes, emails are forwarded, but I do NOT want my real email anywhere on the web. That is my defense against spam (and it works).

I have a personal site, so I hide my details with whois protection.

But any webhost that used it, I'd be a little suspicious. No, make that a lot suspicious.

Any other type of company, say, a local business, I don't really think it would matter so much. As long as they had contact details on their site (even if just a contact form), whois protection is fine for them.
    Sue

A generation which ignores history has no past — and no future. --Lazarus Long

Quote Originally Posted by coax View Post
    My whois is public on all my domains and honestly I have no idea why anyone would be opposed to this.
    I know some people value their privacy online, but when you think about it what can people do with your real name anyway? And who would care?

There's no reason to hide your name simply to hide it imo
    How about when you run a website that criticises Scientology?
    How about a Scambaiting website?
    How about a blog that exposes say, phone scams?

I can think of plenty of situations where a domain owner might need to protect themselves from criminals. None of my domains have privacy protection but that doesn't mean others don't need it.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dan541 View Post
    How about when you run a website that criticises Scientology?
    I would even say *any* site where you criticize

Quote Originally Posted by Dan541 View Post
    How about a Scambaiting website?
    How about a blog that exposes say, phone scams?
    Phone scam is still quite popular. Heard recently a couple of stories how right away after domain registration you would get a call and be offered some designing and developing services for your *new site*. I am not sure how 1) they are able to catch the number from whois during first hours before whois is updated/is enabled etc 2) how they collect newly registered domains without involving registrars who are surely don't disclose such kind of info. If somebody knows, please share, don't be greedy

I don't know why certain people need the feature. If you have a website whereby you introduce yourself openly and invite people to have a discussion, I don't see there's a need to even have it in the first place.

I think privacy protection must be necessary but charges for privacy protection might be unnecessary, IMO.
    Men, women and kids air jordan shoes,
    air jordan fusion shoes shop online.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    I don't know why certain people need the feature. If you have a website whereby you introduce yourself openly and invite people to have a discussion, I don't see there's a need to even have it in the first place.
    you think open discussions are allowed in all countries? For example, you have a site, devoted to politics. You may consider *your* country civilized - but don't say that you can openly speak in others.

Quote Originally Posted by AirJordansHead View Post
    but charges for privacy protection might be unnecessary, IMO.
    You might be surprised to know that various registrars ward off legal threats every other day, especially when being asked "nicely" to either remove the WHOIS privacy service or give their actual details. Them registrars use lawyers for such issues, and they gotta be paid from something for their flashy cars, fancy press releases, and telling some parties to f*** off.

And their domain registration fees aren't enough to cover it, yet raising their prices when others charge low isn't necessarily a good idea. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by BristolSue View Post
    Yes, emails are forwarded, but I do NOT want my real email anywhere on the web. That is my defense against spam (and it works).

I have a personal site, so I hide my details with whois protection.

But any webhost that used it, I'd be a little suspicious. No, make that a lot suspicious.

Any other type of company, say, a local business, I don't really think it would matter so much. As long as they had contact details on their site (even if just a contact form), whois protection is fine for them.
    Sue, which domain registrar do you use? How do you like them? How affordable is their privacy protection?

I was going to PM and ask you but your PM's are disabled

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    Sue, which domain registrar do you use? How do you like them? How affordable is their privacy protection?

I was going to PM and ask you but your PM's are disabled
    Yeah, sorry about PMs being disabled. Too many spam PMs, and I got mad and disabled them.

I use name.com as a registrar. And their privacy protection is extremely affordable, it's free. And not just free for the first year, like some suck you in, but free every year.

And it works great. Test emails come through immediately. And I don't have to worry about my email address being harvested.
    Sue

A generation which ignores history has no past — and no future. --Lazarus Long

I always protect my domains, both personal and business. Not to hide away but because I am sick of getting scam letter coming through the door. I get one every year saying I have to renew my domain with a company I have never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Etherwood View Post
    I get one every year saying I have to renew my domain with a company I have never heard of.
    DomainRenewalGroup?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast