http://www.serverdeals.org/ - Any good?

I stumbled upon a "too good to be true" dedicated server provider, and I need a few good reviews from clients who have registered with them. (Or anyone who has heard anything about them.)

I plan on running game servers with them using their quad core plan.
    [https]://[www].serverdeals.[org]/clients/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=7

Not too good to be true, it looks like their xeons are older (like 5 years ago) chipsets.

Q6600 isn't a server chip, the server equiv would be the X3220. So they *may* be using desktop hardware.

You can get the same deal for the same price at www.serverloft.com except more bandwidth, an extra drive and a server chip instead of a desktop chip.

(I use serverloft myself, so I can vouch for them as a cheaper dedicated server provider. But if quality is a concern, I always recommend softlayer)
    Last edited by sensel; 11-05-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Can anyone else recommend the same deal for about the same price, in Dallas, TX?

Quote Originally Posted by senselt View Post
    Not too good to be true, it looks like their xeons are older (like 5 years ago) chipsets.

Q6600 isn't a server chip, the server equiv would be the X3220. So they *may* be using desktop hardware.

You can get the same deal for the same price at www.serverloft.com except more bandwidth, an extra drive and a server chip instead of a desktop chip.

(I use serverloft myself, so I can vouch for them as a cheaper dedicated server provider. But if quality is a concern, I always recommend softlayer)
    Why does everyone bring up "They are using desktop hardware". There is no performance or it being more reliable.

There is a large difference in that the hardware isn't designed for 24/7/365 100% load operation. ECC memory is also pretty huge difference of course.

Difference between Server and Desktop CPU

Per the above linked thread. Server chips use less power but are nearly 100% identical to their desktop counterparts (at least is the case in the X32** series and Q6*** series). This leads me to believe that the server chip may possess a higher quality silicon, or better crystalline structure.

(also to the OP, I know the above poster (derek) from IRC (though he probably does know who i am yet until i message him) and can recommend his services if you're looking to just get a game server instead of a whole dedicated box)
    Last edited by sensel; 11-05-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by senselt View Post
    There is a large difference in that the hardware isn't designed for 24/7/365 100% load operation. ECC memory is also pretty huge difference of course.

Difference between Server and Desktop CPU

Per the above linked thread. Server chips use less power but are nearly 100% identical to their desktop counterparts (at least is the case in the X32** series and Q6*** series). This leads me to believe that the server chip may possess a higher quality silicon, or better crystalline structure.

(also to the OP, I know the above poster (derek) from IRC (though he probably does know who i am yet until i message him) and can recommend his services if you're looking to just get a game server instead of a whole dedicated box)
    Thanks for the kind words.

Anyhow, I still feel there is 0 performance gain from server hardware although there are pros and cons to both

They look like resellers of another company. Try to check out the dedicated server offers here and you'd find a company offering the same specs as with http://serverdeals.org/
    All things work together for the good of those who love God - Romans 8:28

Hello,

All of ServerDeals' systems are built with major name brand parts. ServerDeals does not low ball anyone on hardware.

We will be launching new specials under the ServerDeals brand with the release of a new website later this weekend.
    Last edited by neXeon; 11-06-2009 at 02:00 PM.
    Charles W. @ Nexeon Technologies, Inc. - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    Dedicated servers, colocation, cloud, game servers, on-site & remote DDoS protection, and more! Managed options available.
    Data Centers in Chicago, New York, & more! IPv4 and IPv6 available! Contact us for data center buildout & network consultation.
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and Dallas.