How to choose a web host

I run a small family website and I'm looking for a new web host. I have read some reviews and compared prices. However, many look the same in regards to services they offer. I don't really know on what criteria to base my decision. I don't really need much (e.g. space, bandwidth).

Does anyone have any thoughts, advice or suggestions?

Regards,

TBaker14

First look at company reviews here on WHT or other sites. Are you looking for windows/linux hosting? Want Sitebuilder or anything extra? If there are many companies that suit your needs start by looking over company reviews.
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

There are some great tips on how to choose the right host for you in the tutorials section: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68

The search can certainly be daunting considering the vast amount of hosts out there, but reading up on some of those tips is a good place to start. Usually the best thing to do is to come up with a list of the hosts that interest you and contact them, to test both support (response times etc...) and to answer any questions you may have about the host and if they can meet your specific requirements.

It can be hard to know who will provide the best service without actually trying them so I would suggest doing the following:
    1. Read the Terms of Service from top to bottom.
    2. Go with a provider that has a Money Back Guarantee (15 to 45 days)
    3. Maintain your own off-server backups of your account just in case.
    4. Don't sign up for more than a monthly plan up front unless you know and trust the provider.
    5. Cross your fingers.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

For me a web hosting company that offers and SLA (Server Level Agreement) is key. If you are not familiar with what a SLA is let me explain. If for any reason your website experiences downtime the web hosting company will either credit or reimburse you.

I personally feel web hosting companies that offer such policies are prepared to put their money where their mouth is. You can talk about 99.9% uptime but in the end it's all talk if your not willing to provide policies and or solutions to backup such guarantees. I hope I've been helpful to you. Best of luck on your web hosting hunt!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

You can buy personal plan, almost web hosting provider give limited space and bandwidth for this.

Chose couple of the web hosts you like and agree with their prices and do the search for their reviews within this forum. I hope that will be more then enough to make decision
    And start with the simplest web hosting account

Well I guess its best to start first on determining what you really need, a bit of requirements perhaps and a budget range. There are a lot of good offers around, and choosing the right provider for you is not that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleH View Post
    First look at company reviews here on WHT or other sites.
    Surely avoid the top ten review sites.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Just host with one that offers something like a 30 money back guarantee. If you don't like the service then you can get your money back and look for another host.
    Boutique Host || Driven by our Uptime and Customer Service Record with proven 99.9% uptime.
    Shared and Reseller Packages - cPanel - Softaculous - RVSiteBuilder - CloudFlare.
    Live Chat || 24/7 Technical Support || 30 Minute Average Technical Response Time.

My suggestion is to be careful and don't get sucked into all the extras that a lot of hosting compnaies try to add on at check out time.

Al Kiel

I personally feel web hosting companies that offer such policies are prepared to put their money where their mouth is.
    It's good when a company shows willingness to compensate the customer for any shortcomings, and it's good when a host shows that it really believes in the quality of its service.

But, at the end of the day, that's really not much more than an attitude. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, or something like that the saying goes. Virtually all hosts promise a lot, 99.9% uptime being a very common (monetary) guarantee. Remarkably fewer live up to their promises and uptime goal.

So, one needs to make himself a list of hosts that offer what's required (on paper), using any sources really, and then see what they actually deliver.

personally i'll look for host with money back guarantee. At least you can try and ask for refund later if not satisfy

Avoid unlimited bandwidth/diskspace plans - only pay for the bandwidth/diskspace you need = less downtime. xD

personally i'll look for host with money back guarantee. At least you can try and ask for refund later if not satisfy
    Yes, Correct!

Guarantees are their for a reason, However, Remember to read the Terms of Service regarding the "Money Back Guarantee". As to your other post in regards to CH they offer 14-days Money Back though will not refund on illegal content ect
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    Yes, Correct!

Guarantees are their for a reason, However, Remember to read the Terms of Service regarding the "Money Back Guarantee". As to your other post in regards to CH they offer 14-days Money Back though will not refund on illegal content ect
    I think refunds are voided with most providers when you violate the Terms of Service. Obviously if you grossly violate the Terms of Service they are unlikely to give you a refund if their ToS allows but if you simply over-use resources or something I think most providers would still refund you even if their terms said they didn't have to.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Look in the offers section. When you find a company look for reviews of them on here.
    VPSforMe.com - OpenVZ Virtualization with SolusVM Control Panel on High Quality Servers.
    VPSforMe.com - Inexpensive VPSs with great features.
    VPSforMe.com - 24/7 Ticket Support with FAST Replies
    VPSforMe.com - CEO Jackson H - [email protected]

I think refunds are voided with most providers when you violate the Terms of Service. Obviously if you grossly violate the Terms of Service they are unlikely to give you a refund if their ToS allows but if you simply over-use resources or something I think most providers would still refund you even if their terms said they didn't have to.
    Well it is up to the discretion of the provider to do so, All I am stating is reading the Terms of Service (In which many don't) would help

I won't mention names here, Though in my past travels I have seen Webhosting Companies state on their FRONT page that they offer a 30-Days Money Back Guarantee but under their Terms of Service it being somewhat different.

It could be a mistake for sure, A gimmick perhaps, False advertising possibly. Though all I am saying is that it is best to read before making any decisions.

-ATH

Quote Originally Posted by The-Pixel View Post
    For me a web hosting company that offers and SLA (Server Level Agreement) is key.
    Obviously everyone will have different priorities. For me, any SLA is at the bottom of the list because I've never seen one that would come close to offering adequate compensation for a significant period of downtime. That's not really the hosts' fault - hosting (even so-called "expensive" hosting) is so cheap that even refunding the cost of a month's hosting doesn't amount to much. But to me the host's proven ability to maintain good uptime is far more important than their willingness to put up a few dollars as a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander2 View Post
    Another nice feature but not really a deal-breaker for me - I don't mind risking a month's fees on a host that I have reason to trust. And if I don't trust the host, why would I waste my time with them? (Or as suggested by Sean above, why would I trust them to actually come through and refund the money on request?)

Quote Originally Posted by TBaker14 View Post
    I don't really know on what criteria to base my decision. I don't really need much (e.g. space, bandwidth).

Does anyone have any thoughts, advice or suggestions?
    Since you don't have any special requirements you could probably go with the smallest / cheapest plan from almost any host. In this situation I'd choose based on price and reputation (based on independent reviews such as you'll find here - ignore the corrupt and worthless "Top 10 hosts" sites).

So, decide what you're willing to pay and look for the best host you can find at that price. As an example at the $10 mark I can highly recommend MediaLayer.com. Others will have different recommendations, particularly if your budget is higher or lower. In any event, search for reviews here and you may learn a lot about a prospective host.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

^excellent advice.

You may even want to start by doing a search for something as simple as "review" here in the main Web Hosting forum. That way you don't have to wade your way through pages upon pages of threads to get to the good stuff.

Smile

i think u should b really care full when u choosing any agent.you should think about your need first ,what you exactly need. and then visit the profile regularly.i think then you will get your answer.

IMO, if you have your domain at a different registrar than where you are currently hosting at, see if your registrar has a plan that might fit you.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    It can be hard to know who will provide the best service without actually trying them so I would suggest doing the following:
    1. Read the Terms of Service from top to bottom.
    2. Go with a provider that has a Money Back Guarantee (15 to 45 days)
    3. Maintain your own off-server backups of your account just in case.
    4. Don't sign up for more than a monthly plan up front unless you know and trust the provider.
    5. Cross your fingers.
    Great advise, Mike.

But, to make it perfect I would change number 5 to: Always look for reviews and feedback about the providers that interest you.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
    U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

For my opinion, different people might have different needs:

First of all, you may need to consider is that what is your budget versus the space and bandwidth that you requires.

Second, you need consider is what is your requirement for your website like as below:
    1) your website is running on what type of scripting or it is just a simple website?
    2) do you requires extra module to be run or do your hosting requires to install custom module in the server? It is because some hosting provider does not allowed customer to install custom module in their shared server
    3) where does most of your customer located at? It is advisable to find a hosting provider who is nearer to your customer so that their accessibility to the server is much faster.

If they have what you requires, then you have to check how's the review about the hosting site. Instead of refering to those website providing review, maybe you may look at people blog, or forum which mention about the particular hosting provider.

To know whether the support of the hosting is good, you may throw some question to the their helpdesk support or live chat and see how fast is their response time and whether the information provided helps you to resolved your issue.

"We all know service varies from host to host but I'd like to take some time and break down some tips I use when shopping for hosting/servers. I can offer you some good information for finding a better server and hopefully some of you helpful people will contribute to this thread in hopes of helping other members out while they shop for hosting.

1. pay a little more, dont try to save that extra 1 or 2$ a month. if your paying less then 5$ a month your probably on an oversold server. Its simple math, if its 1.99$ a month everyone will buy it, therefore a million people will be hosting on the same servers which bring downtimes and database errors and slow loading times etc. which no one wants.

2. Any host with a .info domain or .info NS DONT GO WITH .info's are cheap and crappy extensions most can either be gotten for free or something like 1.99$ a year. The thing I dont like about them is it shows they are cheap and like to scrape pennies, i dont want a server from someone who wont shell out 5 more bucks a year for a decent .com domain. In my eyes if your a penny pincher for something like that, then you probably are selling me a server off you 5.99$ a month unlimited reseller plan lmao which brings me to my next reason.

3. Dont, and I'll repeat that. DONT fall for UNLIMITED this or UNMETERED that lol theres no such thing. Truly and undoubtingly there is absolutely NO SUCH THING as ulimited hd space, or id be able to go out to the local computer parts store and pick up a Western Digital Billion GB HD for my desktop. On the same note, theres no such thing as UNMETERED bandwitdth. What you can bring from a host that sells an unlimited or unmetered package is that they definitley oversell theyre servers and that you should steer clear from them.

4. Dont believe on-site testimonials, WE WRITE THEM OURSELVES. *(Not all hosts write theyre own, this statement is completely opinionated and may not be true for all hosts.)

5. Dont believe everything you read on the net as straight fact these are my opinions and are not those of wjunction or anyone else. Ive followed those statements and have never had any issues with servers or hosting packages. I believe if you follow them you too will avoid many issues such as downtime or on-server problems that everyone is always complaining about.

If you have any opinions on what to keep in mind when purchasing servers/hosting, post here so we can help each other out."

Money back guarantee means nothing to me. Once I purchased a 2 year plan with 30 day money back guarantee from 3ix. At the beginning I had NO problems. On day 32 or so problems started, too much downtime. I had to leave by day 45 or so. And of courcse I was not refunded.

Money back guarantee means nothing to me. Once I purchased a 2 year plan with 30 day money back guarantee from 3ix. At the beginning I had NO problems. On day 32 or so problems started, too much downtime. I had to leave by day 45 or so. And of courcse I was not refunded.
    Primarily because you had passed day 30, 3ix was not entitled to refund you. However, On a side note it is up to the discretion of the hosting company to refund you or not depending on the circumstances.

Then again to add to your statement, It can me a world to some but just a scrap or nothing to others

If you're going to spend time on anything, taking the time to find quality, affordable web hosting is a solid investment.

Before signing up make sure that you send some emails to the sales support. Check how fast they answer, how friendly they are and what degree of technical knowledge the operators have.