webcasting web hosting Recommendations

Hey, I am looking for a good hosting company, (shared, or VPS, not really dedicated or colo, for now) that will allow us to install Red5 and more importantly allow us to webcast.

We are non-profit org with center around the world, and every now and then require webcasting.

I am no in no means a except at hosting or webcasting, but hoping with the help of the people here, the help of people in other forms, and my good friend google, ill be able to set this up quite easily.

Here some background first...
    The live streams will attract about 300-10,000 people, so bandwidth is a must. We will not be storing it on any servers at all, so disk space not a big deal.

Heres what we came up with, and see if you guys can give your input.
    We are thinking a VPS with 2TB of traffic a month. has decent disk space (80gb) for around $300 a month.

but heres my questions
    1) any one know of a good calculation formula or website, that will let me plug in some numbers to show how much bandwidth I need for sure, (don't want to buy 2TB if 500gbs would do)
    2) any one else recommend any good hosting companies that allow webcasting.
    3) any one know of any SHARED companies that we can use to make test with first before going all out?

I appreciate you help, in any way or form possible, even if its just links.

Thanks.

How big are your typical webcasts?
    It sounds like you are already doing them. Do you have any stats?

Right now, we are doing webcasts, but in the worst possible way...

We are using justin.tv to webcast, and embedded the flash on our website (I know, it sucks, but what can we do... well thats the question we are trying to answer here) (and we have has people donate accounts to companies like stream guys for the even larger events, but that donating has gone down with the economy situation)

like I said, our webcast for small events can get about 1500 people easy. for hugh once a year, or tri-yearly events, it could generate up to 10,000 viewers.
    The previous web casts where best quality highest settings on justin.tv (we were NOT using adobe flash or video encoder, just the online portal.

also each show or program would run from 1.5 to 3.5 hours MAX. which would include video and audio.

I hope this gives you a better idea, of what I am talking about... if you have any other questions, ill be on or around this site, looking for answers

Thanks.

Again, the bandwidth depends on the size of the webcast. 1500 people x a 40 MB web cast is going to be much larger than 1500 x a 2 MB wecast.

It seems to me you need a dedicated pipe with a bandwidth cap to avoid paying huge overage fees if you get hit with a large amount of traffic. Sizing the cap is going to be the trick.

Actually you check out the offer forum and when you find an offer there that you like, you could contact the host for more details regarding your needs.

We are thinking a VPS with 2TB of traffic a month. has decent disk space (80gb) for around $300 a month.
    If you are worried about bandwidth I suggest you talk to WireSix. I have a dedicated server there used for audio streaming and get 10TB bandwidth a month for less then $300 a month. We have never had a buffer issue or any other issue.
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

Quote Originally Posted by mp04 View Post
    Right now, we are doing webcasts, but in the worst possible way...

We are using justin.tv to webcast, and embedded the flash on our website (I know, it sucks, but what can we do... well thats the question we are trying to answer here) (and we have has people donate accounts to companies like stream guys for the even larger events, but that donating has gone down with the economy situation)

like I said, our webcast for small events can get about 1500 people easy. for hugh once a year, or tri-yearly events, it could generate up to 10,000 viewers.
    The previous web casts where best quality highest settings on justin.tv (we were NOT using adobe flash or video encoder, just the online portal.

also each show or program would run from 1.5 to 3.5 hours MAX. which would include video and audio.

I hope this gives you a better idea, of what I am talking about... if you have any other questions, ill be on or around this site, looking for answers

Thanks.
    Try using Influxis you get access to your own FMS Box and just pay for the Bandwidth you use. Use the Adobe Live encoder(FREE) or get a Digital Rapids TouchStream($6000).

Also look at Amazon EC2 you can install a Wowza Server and stream with it for a fair price.

You might look at some of the smaller CDNs like BitGravity or Highwinds. They might give you a usage based contract. Although honestly if you're doing 10,000 people, I would suggest Limelight.

If you're doing 1500-10,000 people then you can't use a free service. I wouldn't even use the Free Service Paid options.

Are you monetizing these events? Does the event make you any money? You should be monetizing with that many people.

What bit rate you are you streaming at?

Figure out your bandwidth usage:

bitrate X seconds of video
    --------------------------

Then divide that number by 1000. That is how much bandwidth 1 person watching for X amount of seconds will be (In MegaBytes - MB). Then multiply that by the number of viewers.

Note: seconds should be the average time each person will watch for, not the length of the event.

- Mike (StreamMediaGuy)
    ezsite dot us

How to calculate Bandwidth

Figure out your bandwidth usage:

bitrate X seconds of video
    --------------------------

Then divide that number by 1000. That is how much bandwidth 1 person watching for X amount of seconds will be (In MegaBytes - MB). Then multiply that by the number of viewers.

Note: seconds should be the average time each person will watch for, not the length of the event.

1000MB = 1GB
    1000GB = 1TB

Try these for cheap or free webcasting/streaming:

Influxis or Amazon EC2(Wowza)
    Free - UStream or LiveStream or JustinTV

but heres my questions
    1) any one know of a good calculation formula or website, that will let me plug in some numbers to show how much bandwidth I need for sure, (don't want to buy 2TB if 500gbs would do)
    3) any one know of any SHARED companies that we can use to make test with first before going all out?

- Mike (StreamMediaGuy
    www dot ezsite dot us

Streaming Services

I wouldn't trust this to VPS

Look at BitGravity or Highwinds. They are CDNs and will do a much better job and you don't need to install any Red5 or Wowza. They take care of it.

- Mike (Stream Media Guy)
    www dot ezsite dot us

Quote Originally Posted by mp04 View Post
    Hey, I am looking for a good hosting company, (shared, or VPS, not really dedicated or colo, for now) that will allow us to install Red5 and more importantly allow us to webcast.

We are non-profit org with center around the world, and every now and then require webcasting.

I am no in no means a except at hosting or webcasting, but hoping with the help of the people here, the help of people in other forms, and my good friend google, ill be able to set this up quite easily.

Here some background first...
    The live streams will attract about 300-10,000 people, so bandwidth is a must. We will not be storing it on any servers at all, so disk space not a big deal.

Heres what we came up with, and see if you guys can give your input.

but heres my questions

I appreciate you help, in any way or form possible, even if its just links.

Thanks.

startlogic.com is not bad i've used it before and last time i host my shoutcast in there (1 years ago)