cPanel replacement, with more control over software?

Well, I have already made a post here somewhat related to this subject, however my needs and the purpose of this thread have changed quite a bit.

I'm moving over to Limestone, and I'd like to start with a fresh slate... I've been using cPanel for well over 3 years, and while it's good, I have a few issues that I want to resolve and features I need:
    • I want to be able to control what versions of Apache, PHP, and MySQL are being used. PHP 5.3 has been out for what, 4 months? And cPanel has yet to support it... This is not acceptable given my needs.
    • I'd like to be able to install subversion, trac, bugzilla, and other things along those lines, without it being a pain like it is on cPanel... I spent well over 6 hours trying to install them, only to find out that there's a cPanel addon that installs it (SVN and Trac at least) per-account for you... With a year+ out of date version of Trac.
    • Easy account setup.
    • Easy account control... Without exposing the server. This is the one thing cPanel does extremely well that I hate to give up.
    • No feature bloat - cPanel has a huge amount of features... That's nice, but I honestly have only ever needed to use a small percentage of them.

I'm not really sure what else to say - I really just need something that is cPanel in terms of allowing people to control their own account (Domain(s), mail, mysql, stats, etc.), but still lets me control what software I'm running.

Right now I'm looking at DirectAdmin and ISPConfig, but I'm not sure if either lets me control the software, or would be possible to install SVN, Trac, bugzilla, and other software easily (And properly).

Is there anyone out there with similar needs as me, who has used something other than cPanel to allow users to manage their own accounts? Any control panel suggestions, or your mileage with the two I listed would help me out a lot.

Direct Admin is powerful control panel and its cheap

Personally I prefer cpanel and so do our clients.

I would try DirectAdmin. I'm not 100% sure if it will let you control the software, might be something to find out from them directly. We have both Cpanel and Direct
    Admin CPs, I prefer DA, simply because it's cleaner and you don't have all the other stuff that you never use / need to clutter the GUI.
    rootbsd.net :: BSD based hosting for smart people
    FreeBSD VPS :: FreeBSD and OpenBSD Hosting Powered By Xen
    IRC: #rootbsd on freenode
    twitter: @rootbsd

Hi,

Till where I know there is none YET that will fit your requirements.
    DA and ISP also dont support PHP 5.3 as yet.
    Both are good Panels and are easy to use.
    But you wont find any addons for subversion, trac, bugzilla for these panels.

Regards,
    Alons
    Softaculous - Auto Installer for cPanel, Direct Admin, InterWorx, Plesk, H-Sphere
    The only Auto Installer that installs 260+ scripts. Install in just ONE STEP!
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 60+ OS Templates
    Webuzo - Softaculous for the Cloud i.e. Softaculous Standalone

ISPConfig maybe or what about VHCS? I would probably get a VPS or something somewhere for a month and try all the free / opensource options out to see what best suits my needs... I'm not sure of anything that exists currently that would totally meet your needs though.
    Toby H
    Infrastructure Consultant
    SolutionFire.co.uk
    cPanel | VMware | XenServer | cPanel | 3PAR | R1soft

Quote Originally Posted by alons View Post
    Hi,

Regards,
    Alons
    Thanks all for the quick replies
    That's a shame that DA and ISP don't support PHP 5.3 yet, and just to clear things up - I don't want addons for SVN, Trac, or Bugzilla - I just need Apache to not be installed in such a way that it's a massive pain to add them, like it is in cPanel (I don't remember what it was exactly, but I, and several others, had a lot of trouble installing SVN + Trac with cPanel)

Quote Originally Posted by Sykoi View Post
    Well, I have already made a post here somewhat related to this subject, however my needs and the purpose of this thread have changed quite a bit.

I'm moving over to Limestone, and I'd like to start with a fresh slate... I've been using cPanel for well over 3 years, and while it's good, I have a few issues that I want to resolve and features I need:
    • I want to be able to control what versions of Apache, PHP, and MySQL are being used. PHP 5.3 has been out for what, 4 months? And cPanel has yet to support it... This is not acceptable given my needs.
    • I'd like to be able to install subversion, trac, bugzilla, and other things along those lines, without it being a pain like it is on cPanel... I spent well over 6 hours trying to install them, only to find out that there's a cPanel addon that installs it (SVN and Trac at least) per-account for you... With a year+ out of date version of Trac.
    • Easy account setup.
    • Easy account control... Without exposing the server. This is the one thing cPanel does extremely well that I hate to give up.
    • No feature bloat - cPanel has a huge amount of features... That's nice, but I honestly have only ever needed to use a small percentage of them.

I'm not really sure what else to say - I really just need something that is cPanel in terms of allowing people to control their own account (Domain(s), mail, mysql, stats, etc.), but still lets me control what software I'm running.

Right now I'm looking at DirectAdmin and ISPConfig, but I'm not sure if either lets me control the software, or would be possible to install SVN, Trac, bugzilla, and other software easily (And properly).

Is there anyone out there with similar needs as me, who has used something other than cPanel to allow users to manage their own accounts? Any control panel suggestions, or your mileage with the two I listed would help me out a lot.
    To help determine potential solutions that work for your desired server configurations, we would like to learn more about the specific difficulties experienced while using EasyApache to build Apache and PHP, including learning about any specific requests you may have to make it work better for your systems.

Regarding the number of features and resource usage, we work diligently to account for this by thoroughly testing and optimizing all internal components and precompiled binaries distributed in cPanel. Substantial development time is also dedicated to lowering memory usage and reducing overhead to an absolute minimum, ensuring cPanel performs well in both virtual environments as well as full dedicated servers. In the latest version 11.25, currently in EDGE and CURRENT build trees, we have included a number of additional enhancements including those specifically targeting performance and resource usage. For more detailed information about this new version and all included changes we have published the following 11.25 page and release notes (in PDF form):
    http://www.cpanel.net/releases/1125/
    http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/vie...n/ReleaseNotes

PHP 5.3 includes a number of major and minor changes, including some backwards incompatible changes, and every aspect of the changes has to be thoroughly analyzed and tests performed where needed to ensure it meets the high standards we all expect. Currently PHP 5.3 is available in the EasyApache test branch while it undergoes extensive quality assurance testing and review; it is technically possible to use the test branch on any cPanel-based system, but it is not recommended for general production use until it fully passes QA testing to ensure an utmost quality product that works for everyone. We are aware of the growing interest in PHP 5.3 and we are working expeditiously to make it widely available in the main EasyApache branch. To help work through any specific questions, concerns, or difficulties using EasyApache we recommend submitting a ticket so that we may assist directly to analyze the described issues and determine potential solutions for your precise needs.

In reading your earlier thread we seen you need an easy way to manage virtual hosts. In the EasyApache version 3 (EA3) build system we have worked hard to make available a number of options and methods for customization and modification from the stock-defaults, including in this is the possibility to insert and use custom configuration directives in the main Apache configuration using our configuration distiller, and the ability to easily customize both the templates used for the main Apache configuration and the templates used for all virtual hosts, as well as ability to create custom include files to insert special configuration directives into any number of virtual hosts whether it is in the virtual host for all domains under a specific cPanel account or just one domain, or even only for SSL virtual hosts. We have received inquiries from a number of people using EasyApache in this way with extensively customized configurations, including where clients use EasyApache to build and install custom Apache modules and custom PHP build options, all using the EasyApache build system.

For detailed reference information, we recommend referring to our recently-overhauled documentation, including verbose details about using EasyApache and related components. If you find and area or page of the documentation that appears lacking we would love to know as we are continuously working to improve upon and expand the available resources. For convenience, here is the main link to our documentation, and a shortcut to the specific area for our EasyApache documentation:
    http://docs.cpanel.net/
    http://easyapache.cpanel.net/

If you may have any other questions or concerns please do let us know; we very much want to ensure your utmost satisfaction using cPanel.

P.S. My response to this thread comes with great assistance from Donald Holl / cPanel team member.
    @mariorodriguez
    Strategic Partner Manager
    cPanel Inc.

I'd say both DA and cPanel have very good reasons for not pushing out PHP 5.3 just yet. Check this thread on the DA forum for more detailed discussion from DA users. Find out how you could install it on DA and why you shouldn't!

That aside, I'd suggest you try DA. I haven't done a lot of customisation but my impression is that as a simpler, lighter system it should give you fewer problems.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by alons View Post
    Hi,

Regards,
    Alons
    We do. In fact our panel doesn't care what version of everything is installed in the distribution. I don't even UNDERSTAND why any panel has hard dependency on any specific version of anything...

The CORRECT way to do things, is to use the DISTRIBUTION package. If a package is missing, then write it. That way, anyone can create some alternative package with a different version, PHP 5.3 in your case.

Any other way to do things is plain wrong.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Quote Originally Posted by MarioR View Post
    Regarding the number of features and resource usage, we work diligently to account for this by thoroughly testing and optimizing all internal components and precompiled binaries distributed in cPanel. Substantial development time is also dedicated to lowering memory usage and reducing overhead to an absolute minimum, ensuring cPanel performs well in both virtual environments as well as full dedicated servers.
    This is the job of the DISTRIBUTION, not yours. If some package are not good enough in the distribution, just provide some alternative packages, and that's it. Imposing your will to your users has always been a real pain for many. Embedding libraries / binaries in a package is NOT the Unix way.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel