We recently began to mirror a large number of open source projects
with a dedicated mirror server on our network and I was surprised not only with how popular the mirror server has become, is, but also of the ability of the hardware we're using to keep up with the load.

At an given time, the mirror seems to be pushing at least 50 Megabits of trafficthe server is also an IRC server (irc.igsobe.com) for customers and internal staff communications.

The hardware is a low end Dell Pentium 4 @ 2.66 GHZ server, running with 512MB of RAM and a 400 GB ATA hard drive. CentOS v5.3 is the operating system.

If you're interested, you can view the HTML logfile analysis here but that doesn't tell the full story as FTP users make up a good portion of the traffic. We've received over a quarter million hits in the first few days of November alone.

18:14:15 up 65 days, 9:04, 5 users, load average: 0.31, 0.69, 0.56

The only change that I made to the default configuration was lowering the maximum number of Apache servers to 128.

Just thought I'd share this information as I wouldn't have thought a server with such a small amount of RAM would be able to serve up so much data, even though we are talking strictly static HTML files.

I'll definitely keep this in mind when clients ask me for those "what type of dedicated server should I use for XXX" type discussions that are had all too often with clients.