Inexpensive VPS to replace reseller hosting

Currently paying 24.95/month with Hostgator on a reseller plan but am only using ~2Gb drive space and less than 2Gb or monthly transfer.

Would be nice to find a VPS that has CPanel for about the same price range. Any suggestions for a very reliable company? I see a lot in the "Find a Host" section but there are no ratings as to whether they are any good or not.

It would be little difficult to find a VPS with cPanel exactly at that price, but if you're willing to add few dollars on it than there are many deals on offer. Now the question is would it be advisable to move from reseller hosting to VPS? I would say if you like to be in complete control of your server than yes, otherwise you can continue with your reseller hosting since it is working well for you.
    24Shells in Business Since 2003 - AS55081
    Dedicated Servers, Linux VPS Hosting, Windows VPS Hosting
    @24Shells - 24shells.net

If your looking for a managed VPS provider you'll need to raise your budget a bit more.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

Quote Originally Posted by geekender View Post
    Currently paying 24.95/month with Hostgator on a reseller plan but am only using ~2Gb drive space and less than 2Gb or monthly transfer.

Would be nice to find a VPS that has CPanel for about the same price range. Any suggestions for a very reliable company? I see a lot in the "Find a Host" section but there are no ratings as to whether they are any good or not.
    You should stay with hostgator, your going to have a very hard time finding a reliable provider with cPanel/WHM for $25 that is willing to help you with the learning curve of managing your own servers.
    Jacob Wall - GetCloak.com

Go to BEAM1 of PhotonVPS = 10$
    Their DirectAdmin = 6$
    ====================
    16$/month

I think you have a such budget, it'd better you choose DirectAdmin instead of Cpanel.
    vpsoffers.com - a modest place for vps offers by sim so dep

i'd recommend you chhost.net for at start. now they offer vps package including free cpanel license......looks cheap.

i'd recommend you chhost.net for at start.
    What domain are you hosting with them? If you don't want to make it public, you can send it to the moderating team via http://www.webhostingtalk.com/report.php?p=6480350

Then you should look for a smaller hosting package that is closer to your actual usage, or simply cheaper. I think you can find a decent one at about $15 per month. A cheap VPS is the wrong direction to take IMHO.

I've found ProVPS.com pretty good, used them on and off over several years for testing stuff for work and things. Their support may not be that great, but I never really needed them, and I don't remember ever having any downtime with them.
    Toby H
    Infrastructure Consultant
    SolutionFire.co.uk
    cPanel | VMware | XenServer | cPanel | 3PAR | R1soft

have you looked at http://www.rockvps.com? Their plans look pretty reasonable. I hear a lot of great things bout their service. Might be worth a look. It looks like they charge additional for CPanel (as does everyone), but maybe they'll be willing to work with you if you plan to stay long term. Who knows. Worth a shot.
    rootbsd.net :: BSD based hosting for smart people
    FreeBSD VPS :: FreeBSD and OpenBSD Hosting Powered By Xen
    IRC: #rootbsd on freenode
    twitter: @rootbsd

Quite a few people look to be going with burstnet at the moment and they are cheap
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Then you should look for a smaller hosting package that is closer to your actual usage, or simply cheaper. I think you can find a decent one at about $15 per month. A cheap VPS is the wrong direction to take IMHO.
    I agree with Dan. You can definitely find a smaller and more affordable (around $10 - $15) reseller plan.

Quote Originally Posted by geekender View Post

Hostgator has a 'special reseller' plan

It's half the size of their smallest plan on their website, and just about half the price. You should look into it, you HAVE to email them for it, none of the sales rep on chat / phone talk about it for some reason.
    Jacob Wall - GetCloak.com

I have spent only month with KnownHost but found them friendly, reliable and economic. Their support is excellent. I got answers in maximum of 2 hours. They also help you installing your custom applications and there are no charges.

You may be interested in HostGator's VPS hosting?
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates