Results 1 to 38 of 38

Thread: PhoenixNAP Tour

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,201

    PhoenixNAP Tour

    On Thursday I took a tour of the new DC here in Phoenix called Phoenix Nap. It's a pretty nice data center and definitely enterprise quality. Security systems are amazing! They have a mantrap, iris scanner and a cool hand (vascular) scanner. The chillers have backup chillers and those backups have backups! Now that's redundancy. The "meet me" room where all the carriers will be is very secure and very nice, and bullet-resistant windows really show off how cool it all looks! Plus, the floor in the hallway has lights illuminating! I know I could add so much more to this, but I honestly believe everyone should view Phoenix Nap. It's one of a kind!

    Overall Rating: 10/10

  2. #2
    Hi Nick,

    Thanks for the note. I might have to pay them a visit. I saw their collection of videos during the buildout of the datacenter: http://www.datacenterbuilder.com/
    WebHostingPeriod.com
    Affordable, Reliable Web Hosting.... Period!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    3,795
    I saw it as well on Monday, both the DC and their HQ and it was impressive. Jordan and crew certainly made sure that no detail is overlooked. If anyone is in the area, I'd recommend paying them a visit. Besides, their free gourmet lunch is an added bonus.
    AYKsolutions.com - High Bandwidth Specialists - 100TB/1Gbps/10Gbps Unmetered/CDN/DDOS Protected
    Over 20 Global Locations - Asia, Mexico, Brazil, India, Australia, US, CA, EU - Bare Metal and Virtual Cloud. All Managed.
    View our current Specials.
    We are Professional. Painless. Polite.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    165
    OP, how many other facilities in AZ have you visited? A lot of the items you are talking about are pretty standard at all larger tier3 facilities here in the valley.

    I know 120 van buren, I/O, and 365 main all have pretty similar setups.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by intrikrakin View Post
    OP, how many other facilities in AZ have you visited? A lot of the items you are talking about are pretty standard at all larger tier3 facilities here in the valley.

    I know 120 van buren, I/O, and 365 main all have pretty similar setups.
    I/O wouldn't let me see inside, but 365 Main did. I did that tour about a year ago, and I don't believe 365 Main had as much redundancy as PhoenixNap. But I could be very wrong. Take a tour of PhoenixNap, and tell me which one you like best

    Also, they never took me to their HQ nor did I get dinner.. (Was 6PM). I'll have to ask them why.. Very nice crowd and they are not afraid to tell you anything about the DC (except for costs).

    If anyone decides to go to PhoenixNap, have Jordan take you through!

  6. #6
    I'd like to go visit not even to see the facility, but to say hello and meet the staff.. and of course the food.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergen Hosting View Post
    I'd like to go visit not even to see the facility, but to say hello and meet the staff.. and of course the food.
    Think:
    Key lime pie
    Pork Ribs
    Steak
    Potatoes

    for lunch and dinner... FREE with your purchase of a rack...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    5,137
    I am planning to visit them. Are they already in operation? I thought it won't be until Q1/Q2 2010?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    I am planning to visit them. Are they already in operation? I thought it won't be until Q1/Q2 2010?

    They aren't done yet, he just went to see it, the datacenter builder website has all of their latest "creations".

    I'm loving that man-trap, that'd be funny, DA**** someone unlock the door, I entered the wrong password again
    Not sure what to put here :-P

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,201
    The Man-Trap is amazing! It will be pretty cool once it's all done, I can't wait to tour it again in about a month if Jordan will take me again.

  11. #11
    What is that an old prison building - with man-traps?
    I would completely agree - to have a free dinner impressive - I would love to have a tour just to get ribs! We can always learn.
    Hmmm... What if I'll have all inclusive stay, if somebody tours our facility? hotel and buffet all day long? Cool? Jamaica style? With dancers?

    On a serious side - good review, jut don't forget if you see a nice marble floor - it is you who probably will have to pay for it. The same goes for redundant/redundant/redundant/ chillers
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post
    What is that an old prison building - with man-traps?
    I would completely agree - to have a free dinner impressive - I would love to have a tour just to get ribs! We can always learn.
    Hmmm... What if I'll have all inclusive stay, if somebody tours our facility? hotel and buffet all day long? Cool? Jamaica style? With dancers?

    On a serious side - good review, jut don't forget if you see a nice marble floor - it is you who probably will have to pay for it. The same goes for redundant/redundant/redundant/ chillers
    This is true, however Jordan explained this to me and to be honest with mid-terms here and what not I've forgotten what he has said. PhoenixNap has found a way to make everything cheaper so that the savings is pushed off onto the customer. I'll see if I can't get him to come in and reply and tell us how exactly they did that.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,857
    I didn't get an invite yet. Jordan?
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

    www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    808
    Matt, of course you are welcome to come by any time!

    <<snipped>>
    Anyone who wants to come tour the datacenter now once complete is more than willing to come out.
    Last edited by bear; 11-06-2009 at 07:41 PM.
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,158
    If its Jamaica style dinner i'm in lol

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by THAMAN View Post
    If its Jamaica style dinner i'm in lol
    Yep, I looove jerk chicken
    Is air fare included too?
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    165
    Sorry guys. Is it just me or does it seem like "free food" with purchase of a rack is a gimmick?

    A man trap? 365Main has a bullet proof glass revolving door. No man trap needed. I guess technically the lobby itself is a man trap because you have to badge in just to get through the front doors.

    I/O has a very similar setup. If a data center wont show you the inside I find that hard to believe. Their entire business model is designed around tours and making sure you are confident with their security and reliability.

    And I did watch the video where Jordan explains in a rather shaky voice to the interviewer at hosting con about how their UPS's are "outside" instead of "inside" and somehow that is revolutionary.

    FYI 365Main doesn't even have UPS's. Their facility runs on Centrifugal force generators that are running 24x7. They spin a 1 ton rotating cylinder using grid power, and if that goes out the momentum of the 1 ton metal spinning cylinder keeps going while the gen's kick over to diesel to keep it spinning. (they have 12 of the generators. I'm told it only takes 5 or 6 to run the entire facility)

    By doing this they eliminate the entire battery loop and all those points of failure that are associated with them.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by intrikrakin View Post
    Sorry guys. Is it just me or does it seem like "free food" with purchase of a rack is a gimmick?

    A man trap? 365Main has a bullet proof glass revolving door. No man trap needed. I guess technically the lobby itself is a man trap because you have to badge in just to get through the front doors.

    I/O has a very similar setup. If a data center wont show you the inside I find that hard to believe. Their entire business model is designed around tours and making sure you are confident with their security and reliability.

    And I did watch the video where Jordan explains in a rather shaky voice to the interviewer at hosting con about how their UPS's are "outside" instead of "inside" and somehow that is revolutionary.

    FYI 365Main doesn't even have UPS's. Their facility runs on Centrifugal force generators that are running 24x7. They spin a 1 ton rotating cylinder using grid power, and if that goes out the momentum of the 1 ton metal spinning cylinder keeps going while the gen's kick over to diesel to keep it spinning. (they have 12 of the generators. I'm told it only takes 5 or 6 to run the entire facility)

    By doing this they eliminate the entire battery loop and all those points of failure that are associated with them.
    Not to upset anybody, but a lot of posts here done by people who "don't know any better". That could be a reason why people are impressed by free dinner and a man-trap Again, I don't want to upset anybody. I think it takes much more than redundant chiller and a free dinner to be a high quality data center - network architecture, infrastructure, internal policies, standards, support, and much more... But it is much cheaper and "impressive" to put a man-trap - here we go - a lot of redundancy but very cost effective - there is no free lunch - means cutting corners somewhere else of sudden increase in prices soon. Or both and marketing to people who are impressed with the stuff mentioned above.
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,201
    I can see how all of these points are valid but honestly, go look at their DC. It is truly amazing how they're doing it. I can't describe it really, hopefully in a month when I go again (if Jordan lets me), I'll retain more of it; I'm more of the repetition learner.

    The Free dinner is there, but it was just a minor joke about it. That's not why you should be a customer of PhoenixNap. Go take a look at it and tell me you're not impressed. I toured 365 Main and I liked PhoenixNap more..

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by DHD-Nick View Post
    I can see how all of these points are valid but honestly, go look at their DC. It is truly amazing how they're doing it. I can't describe it really, hopefully in a month when I go again (if Jordan lets me), I'll retain more of it; I'm more of the repetition learner.

    The Free dinner is there, but it was just a minor joke about it. That's not why you should be a customer of PhoenixNap. Go take a look at it and tell me you're not impressed. I toured 365 Main and I liked PhoenixNap more..
    I haven't been in any of those DCs. Can you elaborate, please: what are the pros and cons between those two DCs, please? Obviously 365 is a high end DC, but I am curious what a visitor is paying attention to?

    Thank you
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanJ View Post
    Matt, of course you are welcome to come by any time!

    <<snipped>>
    Anyone who wants to come tour the datacenter now once complete is more than willing to come out.
    Waiting for that complimentary air fare from you J....
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

    www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

  22. #22
    I just took the tour today. The meet me room is up and running. Barely anything else is ready for show. Looks like it will be a very nice facilty ~ next quarter.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by intrikrakin View Post
    Sorry guys. Is it just me or does it seem like "free food" with purchase of a rack is a gimmick?

    A man trap? 365Main has a bullet proof glass revolving door. No man trap needed. I guess technically the lobby itself is a man trap because you have to badge in just to get through the front doors.

    I/O has a very similar setup. If a data center wont show you the inside I find that hard to believe. Their entire business model is designed around tours and making sure you are confident with their security and reliability.

    FYI 365Main doesn't even have UPS's. Their facility runs on Centrifugal force generators that are running 24x7. They spin a 1 ton rotating cylinder using grid power, and if that goes out the momentum of the 1 ton metal spinning cylinder keeps going while the gen's kick over to diesel to keep it spinning. (they have 12 of the generators. I'm told it only takes 5 or 6 to run the entire facility)

    By doing this they eliminate the entire battery loop and all those points of failure that are associated with them.
    Both IO and 365 main have fantastic facilities here in Phoenix. I have nothing but respect for the service they provide their customers.

    The old saying, there are many ways to skin a cat applies to datacenters as well. Different technologies, locations, and services provide the ideal solution to different markets and customers.

    I am very glad you are happy with 365 main. If you are ever down our way it would be nice to say hello, I am always up for meeting more people from WHT.
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanJ View Post
    Both IO and 365 main have fantastic facilities here in Phoenix. I have nothing but respect for the service they provide their customers.

    The old saying, there are many ways to skin a cat applies to datacenters as well. Different technologies, locations, and services provide the ideal solution to different markets and customers.

    I am very glad you are happy with 365 main. If you are ever down our way it would be nice to say hello, I am always up for meeting more people from WHT.
    This is an excellent example of message that makes WHT very professional. Thank you Jordan. Hope other readers/posters will learn a lot from you and this particular post.
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanJ View Post
    I am always up for meeting more people from WHT.
    Can I come back next month? I want to see the progress

  26. #26
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    165
    I'd be more than happy to take a tour when your facility is actually finished. Currently without a finished building though all the planned features of your facility are just on paper.

    When the facility opens and you begin providing service to customers I will come check you out. It seems you will be opening up and getting going right around the time my contract with my current facility expires.

    Who knows.....

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    808
    Nick, of course you can.

    intrikrakin - No problem, I would be happy to give you a tour whenever works best for you. We can do it with a sales guy or without - no pressure.
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,571
    Ive seen the blog about the datacenter build and it looks nice.

    May take your word for that tour and i would prefer with a sales person and ofcourse some food

    Cheers

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    162
    I also had the opportunity to tour PhoenixNAP under construction and was very impressed with what I saw. Now it all makes sense to me.

    It's either the cafeteria or seeing the backbone coming into the building that really stood out, very cool!
    bigwrench

  30. #30
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    165
    Looking at the map it looks like you guys are in the cul-de-sac with University of Phoenix Online.

    FYI to anyone trying to get into or out of that area at 4:30pm on weekdays DO NOT use I-10.

    32nd St and I-10 is bumper to bumper for 2 hours during rush hour.
    Last edited by intrikrakin; 11-18-2009 at 08:52 PM.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    15
    Visited Phoenix last week, to see NAP and other facility (Scottsdale). Met Christopher, he is really cool guy, showed everything around, no pressure to buy-not at all. Thank you Christopher!
    Met Jordan at NAP, he showed "his baby". He is so excited about it, he can talk about it hours and hours and hours.
    I am seriously considering Phoenix for our colocation needs.

  32. #32
    Man having a DC in Phoenix seems like such a bad idea. I'm sure it's a necessary evil, but with the heat and the water usage I can't imagine its the most green of sites. I would think a DC in the desert would have been built into a mountain or underground to take advantage of the cooling.

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanJ View Post
    Both IO and 365 main have fantastic facilities here in Phoenix. I have nothing but respect for the service they provide their customers.

    The old saying, there are many ways to skin a cat applies to datacenters as well. Different technologies, locations, and services provide the ideal solution to different markets and customers.

    I am very glad you are happy with 365 main. If you are ever down our way it would be nice to say hello, I am always up for meeting more people from WHT.
    Well said Jordan

    How is Joe working out for you as a commissioning agent? The guy is a genius when it comes to data centers! As you know, he commissioned our new center in Atlanta and I was just amazed at his knowledge. We have a video of him testing all the power/UPS/switch gear/gen sets while wearing his arc flash suit. He looked like a conductor conducting a symphony as he counted down to when different units were switching over, etc. Quite funny to see.

    I'll be in Phoenix in April and of course, I'll expect a full tour then :-)

    -- Bill
    NationalNet - Hosting. Handled.
    Extreme Support Managed Hosting | Inexpensive Dedicated Servers | Affordable Atlanta Colocation | CDN
    sales @ nationalnet.com | 888-4-NATNET | www.nationalnet.com

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    808
    The outside air temperature is really only a factor when looking at things like air-side economization. In contrast, the wet bulb temperature (a factor of heat and humidity which phoenix has a surprisingly low average) is used when looking at water side economization.

    The amount of heat transferred into the envelope of a properly insulated building is rather small when compared with the HUGE amount of heat generated by 16MW of critical IT load.

    Phoenix is actually one of the largest datacenter cities for enterprises to build datacenters because of low cost of power and lack of natural disasters. Phoenix has companies like:

    Amex
    Godaddy
    Ebay
    Monster
    Banner Health
    Country Wide
    Bank of America
    Wells Fargo
    and many others

    You just don't hear about them because they are single tenant facilities.
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by LBBV View Post
    Well said Jordan

    How is Joe working out for you as a commissioning agent? The guy is a genius when it comes to data centers! As you know, he commissioned our new center in Atlanta and I was just amazed at his knowledge. We have a video of him testing all the power/UPS/switch gear/gen sets while wearing his arc flash suit. He looked like a conductor conducting a symphony as he counted down to when different units were switching over, etc. Quite funny to see.

    I'll be in Phoenix in April and of course, I'll expect a full tour then :-)

    -- Bill
    Bill,

    I am actually going to be in Atlanta this week (leaving in a few hours), I would love to see the new facility. I haven't seen it since it was a shell.

    Joe is doing an amazing job - he is actually across the hall from me right now. The real work comes in March as part of our 4-6 week commissioning.

    Of course your welcome to stop by any time!
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanJ View Post
    Bill,

    I am actually going to be in Atlanta this week (leaving in a few hours), I would love to see the new facility. I haven't seen it since it was a shell.

    Joe is doing an amazing job - he is actually across the hall from me right now. The real work comes in March as part of our 4-6 week commissioning.

    Of course your welcome to stop by any time!
    Hey - then drop me an email at bill AT nationalnet DOT com and we'll set up a time for you to come by. Obviously our new center is not as massive as yours but it's still very state-of-the-art and impressive :-)

    -- Bill
    NationalNet - Hosting. Handled.
    Extreme Support Managed Hosting | Inexpensive Dedicated Servers | Affordable Atlanta Colocation | CDN
    sales @ nationalnet.com | 888-4-NATNET | www.nationalnet.com

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by kanned View Post
    Man having a DC in Phoenix seems like such a bad idea. I'm sure it's a necessary evil, but with the heat and the water usage I can't imagine its the most green of sites. I would think a DC in the desert would have been built into a mountain or underground to take advantage of the cooling.

    That's why largest DCs are located in Alaska

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Burash View Post

    That's why largest DCs are located in Alaska
    I love this, I am going to use this
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

Similar Threads

  1. AMD/MS OEM tour is here, should i go?
    By jt2377 in forum Colocation and Data Centers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 01:33 AM
  2. virtual tour
    By Saryooo in forum Web Design and Content
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 09:12 AM
  3. S&G Reunion Tour
    By Phrozen in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 07:24 PM
  4. Anyone need a tour?
    By Bilco105 in forum Other Offers & Requests
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 07:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •