Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pronet Hosting has been interesting so far...

Monday morning I signed up with Pronet Hosting because of their $25 for the year promotion. Especially since their website says they propogate the domain and all such for free.....

SO far......

I've received an invoice for $35.95 INCLUDING A $10.95 charge for moving my domain.

The domain still hasn't propogated after 54 hours.

But, I just spoke to support and they tell me it'll probably propogate by tomorrow.

WHERE does this company do their support from? So far, every time I've called I've gotten a person with a strong accent, the last time it was so thick I was unable to understand much of his explanation of why the domain still hadn't propogated...

I signed up partially because of the glowing reviews in here. I was told they're located in Los Angeles, but if they're doing support from overseas I'm a little concerned about future problems.

What have other's experiences been with this company?

Check the domain via a WHOIS search (http://www.cogah.com/index.php/DomainWhois/) - at the bottom it'll list its current nameservers.

If it's been 54+ hours, perhaps they haven't been set properly?
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

Domain propogation can take up to 72hours to complete
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

What is the domain in question?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Propagation and transfer are two different things. Since they charged you 10.95 for the domain, they are transfering your domain to them as a registrar.

Since they arn't the current registrars in the first place, they can't change the name servers. So they must first transfer the domain (not really recommanded as you should keep it seperate from your web host) and then change the name servers.

It takes about five days for a successful tranfser (if everything is setup properly by the domain owner before transfer). Then another 24 - 72 hours for propagation after you change name servers.
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

Please PM me so that I can personally look into the issue for you. Without knowing the exact domain its hard to diagnose if there is any issue, but if its less then 72 hours then it may very well be still propagating. In any case, please contact me and I will be glad to address the issue personally.

The reason why you were charged $10.95 is because the promotion does not offer a free domain name.
    <<snipped>>
    Last edited by bear; 11-05-2009 at 05:31 PM.
    Jack
    Cool Handle - Reliable web hosting
    Virtual Private Servers [VPS] - Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Dedicated Servers

If I were you I would never sign up for the web hosting because of their promotion. That might be something you will regret about.
    Use trusted sources.

Jack, I don't know what your FAQ says, but your WEBSITE DEFINITELY says:

FREE Site Transfer
    We know how difficult it can be switching web hosting. We take the stress out by handling the entire process for you, just sit back and relax!
    FREE Domain Transfer
    FREE File Transfer
    FREE MySQL Transfer
    FREE Script Transfer

So, either this is a mistake, in which case IT'S NOT MY MISTAKE AND I WANT THE $10.95 REFUNDED, or it's just another example of deceptive marketing and hidden charges, in which case I'll be cancelling my account immediately.

And Dan, I agree with "using trusted sources', but as this example shows, there apparently are VERY few in this business. If you've GOT a trusted source, that offers Windows hosting, and is cost competitive, tell me and I'll take a look.

And now, I'm off to make one last phone call to Pronet, to see if I can get this fixed.

Jack, I haven't foggiest notion how to PM you...

Quote Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
    Jack, I haven't foggiest notion how to PM you...
    You need to have 5 (quality/pertinent) posts for the forum's PM feature to become available. It's in the rules: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/rules.php

To help relieve my ignorance, can someone explain Bihira's statements?

"Propagation and transfer are two different things. Since they charged you 10.95 for the domain, they are transfering your domain to them as a registrar."

How do propogation and transfer differ? WHY do I need the domain transferred?

"Since they arn't the current registrars in the first place, they can't change the name servers. So they must first transfer the domain (not really recommanded as you should keep it seperate from your web host) and then change the name servers."

How do I keep my domain separate from my web host so I DON'T have to go through this transfer process?

To help relieve my ignorance, can someone explain Bihira's statements?

"Propagation and transfer are two different things. Since they charged you 10.95 for the domain, they are transfering your domain to them as a registrar."

How do propogation and transfer differ? WHY do I need the domain transferred?
    Hi,
    Domain Transfer of .com/.net etc requires renewal of the domain for another year as well, hence the one year fee of $10.95 probably, so your domain if it was expiring in 2010 will expire in 2011 after the transfer is completed.

In simple terms Propagation is the time required for DNS to get updated through ISP's so your domain points to the new servers dns.

Good luck though..

Jack, I don't know what your FAQ says, but your WEBSITE DEFINITELY says:

FREE Site Transfer
    We know how difficult it can be switching web hosting. We take the stress out by handling the entire process for you, just sit back and relax!
    FREE Domain Transfer
    FREE File Transfer
    FREE MySQL Transfer
    FREE Script Transfer

So, either this is a mistake, in which case IT'S NOT MY MISTAKE AND I WANT THE $10.95 REFUNDED, or it's just another example of deceptive marketing and hidden charges, in which case I'll be cancelling my account immediately.

And Dan, I agree with "using trusted sources', but as this example shows, there apparently are VERY few in this business. If you've GOT a trusted source, that offers Windows hosting, and is cost competitive, tell me and I'll take a look.

And now, I'm off to make one last phone call to Pronet, to see if I can get this fixed.
    I may have misunderstood you earlier. If you are referring to us transferring your - we are very happy to migrate your site. Simply submit a support ticket and we will do the rest for you.

If you would like to contact me directly, please submit a support request to our website and request to escalate it to me.

We are always around to help you.
    Jack
    Virtual Private Servers [VPS] - Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Dedicated Servers

Well, it seems like you didn't have a clearer view of what you signed up for, but it seems like pronethosting is very much willing to settle things. Its best to talk to them privately first.. =) But do update us of what happens next.

Got a call from Jack. We talked and he's removed the charge for transferring the domain. So, I'm in the process of setting up email accounts, point name servers and all such silliness...

BUT, I need the idiot-proof method of putting in whitelist and blacklist addresses. I found the Spam Assassin. Got to the whitelist section. But, it APPEARS to want me to enter every whitelist email address INDIVIDUALLY. Where/how do I paste in the whole set of addresses or give it the file of addresses to digest, or whatever I have to do so I DON'T have to enter every whitelist or blacklist address individually?

I'm used to Boxtrapper where I just cut and pasted the whole list of addresses, but I figure Spamassassin can't be that much different. So how do I get the addresses in here?

Got a call from Jack. We talked and he's removed the charge for transferring the domain. So, I'm in the process of setting up email accounts, point name servers and all such silliness...

BUT, I need the idiot-proof method of putting in whitelist and blacklist addresses. I found the Spam Assassin. Got to the whitelist section. But, it APPEARS to want me to enter every whitelist email address INDIVIDUALLY. Where/how do I paste in the whole set of addresses or give it the file of addresses to digest, or whatever I have to do so I DON'T have to enter every whitelist or blacklist address individually?

I'm used to Boxtrapper where I just cut and pasted the whole list of addresses, but I figure Spamassassin can't be that much different. So how do I get the addresses in here?
    I think your host would have to do it for you if you want to input a huge list of them and you don't want to do it one by one. I've not really seen SpamAssassin catch many false positives in all the time I've used it except when the sensitivity is set extremely high which isn't a good idea in a shared environment.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

That's unfortunate 'cause so far Spam Assassin isn't very impressive (ok, totally unimpressive). The first message I received marked as SPAM was at 2:24 pm on 11/6. Since them I've gotten 144 messages that are spam and SA only flagged 32 of them.

This is annoying and time-wasting at home where I have rules set up in Outlook to separate the vast majority into junk email, but it's a huge problem when I'm on the road and all this junk is bombarding the cell phone..... Does SA get smarter on it's own or am I going to have to increase the sensitivity or actually input all the valid addresses for email into SA ONE AT A TIME?

Still getting significant amounts of spam......

Changed hit count from 7 to 5.

Opened a help ticket at 12:30 today, 8 hours ago. Haven't gotten any response yet.

I personally just checked and did not see any ticket. Please resubmit or contact me personally and I will make sure its taken care of ASAP.
    Jack

Everything's been sent.........

Is there something else I need to do to actually get the help tickets into the system? I didn't see any other buttons that I neglected to push, and my tickets all show up when I log in, but if they're not getting to support am I doing something wrong?

Got a call from Jack. We talked and he's removed the charge for transferring the domain.
    Glad to hear that. I feel through out this thread Jack was trying to help you as much as possible. That is a nice thing about a host.

Please submit the support ticket through http://support.pronethosting.net
    Jack

Um, apparently I spoke too soon.......

Jack, the email address you gave me keeps failing with a

550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable or not local

error.....

As far as creating tickets, on my Parallels Plesk Control Panel there's a "Help Desk" choice. That's where I created the tickets. I just logged into the same control panel and noticed that "Help Desk" choice is now gone.

Still getting significant amounts of spam......

Changed hit count from 7 to 5.

Opened a help ticket at 12:30 today, 8 hours ago. Haven't gotten any response yet.
    Sender Verifiation Callouts (server-wide setting) + SpamAssassin has been very effective for me personally.

Heck, even just the SVCs alone gets rid of 90% of spam because most spammers don't send from legitimate email addresses and use forged headers A.K.A. the message wouldn't pass sender verification.

Jack,

Still can't send you email or reply to yours. I verified that I can send to a half dozen other people, but yours is still generating a 550 error........

BUT, the tickets I opened got responses today... I've still got some stuff I need to send you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast