hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : How to install VPS ?

Forum Jump

How to install VPS ?

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

How to install VPS ?

Dear All, Kind Regards

I have bought Dell Optiplex 760 and i would like to in stall Virtual Private Server (VPS) on it.. can anybody please tell me step by step tutorial to install VPS in my computer and have my own webserver?

thx in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Web Hosting Master

Any reason you need to make a vps on the box? Why not just use the whole box as a webserver?

Anyways, you can use vmware, virtualbox, proxmox, xenserver, etc etc, depending on what you have and what you need..

Google for each of those terms and you'll find tons of information.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

to be honest i want to have/run my own cpanel+whm in server. and how could i install it via these mentioned software? are they manually install VPS for me? please more exploitation for me..!!!

thx

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Think big, and discover! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamir Rocker View Post
to be honest i want to have/run my own cpanel+whm in server. and how could i install it via these mentioned software? are they manually install VPS for me? please more exploitation for me..!!!

thx
You can just install cPanel by yourself without setting up your box as a vps node.

# wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/latest
# sh latest

ip:2086
login
follow directions
PROFIT!

Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New York Colocation

Old 11-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

well.. i have windows 2003 Enterprise Edition installed on my box.. so from which source i can install Cpanel and WHM in my box? please some more details on it

thanks

Old 11-04-2009, 04:04 PM
WHT Addict

Installing Cpanel on the server does not make it a virtual hosting environment. T do this, you need to install virtual server application. You can try VMware's Server 2;

http://www.vmware.com/beta/server/

Install that, then all you need to do is either create a VM server using your favor of Linux or download one that is already created images;

http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/

Old 11-04-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
well.. i have windows 2003 Enterprise Edition installed on my box.. so from which source i can install Cpanel and WHM in my box? please some more details on it

thanks
You would need to get either Windows Server 2008 *or* use VMWAre or another alternative.

Only linux & windows 2k8 is supported by cPanel. cPanel for 2k8 just came out so be careful using it.

Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New York Colocation

Old 11-04-2009, 04:10 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:

thanks
Follow the linux's i've posted in my reply above this one. Download VMware server and install it and then download one of the Linux images and apply it in Vmware Server. Then you just SSH into the Linux server (Virtual Server that you've made) and install CPanel in there.

Once you do that, you've made your very first Cpanel hosted VM server.

Good Luck!

Old 11-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

thank you so much guys for reply.

i am downloading them and will install.. and i will let you guys know about it
I am downloading VMware Server 2 with CentOS 5.3. is it good for my dell system??? and is it call VPS server after i install them?

thx once agian and sorry for taking your time

Old 11-10-2009, 04:32 PM
WHT Addict

Hello Pamir,

How did you make out with your VPS? Curious to see what you went with and how you made out.

Later.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:12 AM

Recommend you to install proxmox on debian.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Dear KDMITCHELL

I have exams but i will install it this weekend for you.. thx you guys for help and support

i will update all once i done installations

Thx

Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

hey guys, finally after 2 weeks i get time and install it.. now i am trying to install the cpanel but it give me the following error: resolving layer1.cpanel.net... failed: Name or service not known

can any body tell me how to solve this issue?

thanks in advance

Old 11-17-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
hey guys, finally after 2 weeks i get time and install it.. now i am trying to install the cpanel but it give me the following error: resolving layer1.cpanel.net... failed: Name or service not known

thanks in advance
# nano /etc/resolv.conf

(If that doesn't work do yum -y install nano)

Then make it say
Quote:
nameserver 4.2.2.2
nameserver 4.2.2.3

Old 11-17-2009, 11:13 PM
We Love XenŽ Hypervisor

Quote:

thanks in advance
You can set your resolver in cpanel/whm. the ips should come from your provider or datacenter.