Exclamation Need a little info about dedi

Hello,

im looking to move on now from my managed vps and get a dedi only problem is i have not used one before and had a managed vps so i didnt need to worry i would like to go unmanaged now and wated to know is there a lot off maintance to do on a server and what are the main problems you come in to? i will also be hosting a few off my friends on the server if that changes anything.

thanks

also if you know any good uk server hosts give me a bell.

Having unmanaged dedicated server you will require to be expertise level in the technical and you should have experienced in server management.
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    KeserHosting.Com

ahhh ok but what is there to manage?

A lot of things actually. For example when you have a software updates, tweaks and staff like that.

what about gui for linux server do you know off any and are they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBucket View Post
    Hello,

im looking to move on now from my managed vps and get a dedi only problem is i have not used one before and had a managed vps so i didnt need to worry i would like to go unmanaged now and wated to know is there a lot off maintance to do on a server and what are the main problems you come in to? i will also be hosting a few off my friends on the server if that changes anything.

thanks

also if you know any good uk server hosts give me a bell.
    Upgrading from a managed VPS to an un-managed dedicated server isn't necessarily difficult. The amount of work varies depending on 1) what you plan to do with the server, and 2) how experienced you are with servers. If you purchase a dedicated server with a control panel (such as cPanel), you won't have to worry about installing the software; the provider will get that done for you. However, you may be responsible for other miscellaneous things that you'd do, but are not industry standards.

If that makes sense...

yes i get you. but what about if i wanted to install somthing like shoutcast as i would like to runa radio for of my websites

yes i get you. but what about if i wanted to install somthing like shoutcast as i would like to runa radio for of my websites
    You might be able to get some assistance from the techs, but they wouldn't be required to help you. I'm sure you could find some how-to articles on it though.

Shoutcast installation is very simple and many tutorials are available if you search in google. Some programs installation can be complicated for which you may request your host for help, they may charge onetime setup fee for that.
    24Shells in Business Since 2003 - AS55081
    Dedicated Servers, Linux VPS Hosting, Windows VPS Hosting
    @24Shells - 24shells.net

I wouldn't suggest trying to manage it on your own if you don't have experience, and have live sites on the server. You would be better off getting a managed dedicated server, or at least hire a server management company to watch over your box. You can find management companies in this forum: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139

ok, thanks what abiut things like centova cast shoutcast gui admin panel?

ok, thanks what abiut things like centova cast shoutcast gui admin panel?
    Managing things from a GUI would be easy, but not always are they full proof. Sometimes you may need to goto the root shell and get some configs done manually.

So you better learn some managing skills before you get clients into your server.

like what?