RHEV - Red Hat's KVM Hypervisor Released

For those keeping up with the lastest virtualization news, Red Hat's hypervisor is now "Generally Available" as of today. Based on KVM, it may be a good alternative to VMWare if you need commercial support in your virtualization implementation.

Redhat Link

The code is GPL so I'm guessing we might see this soon in a Centos flavor?
    Last edited by Ceetoe; 11-04-2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: oopsies and typos

So, running RHEV on bare metal - Does it have the features of an operating system or it is just a minimum OS to boot the hypervisor?

I like how their comparison chart neglects to mention XenServer

A modern hypervisor based on Kernel-Based Virtual Machine (KVM) virtualization technology
    How can something be "based" on something else when it's exactly the same thing (redhat kvm is exactly the same as mainline kvm maybe except for a few minor patches).
    I like how their comparison chart neglects to mention XenServer
    KVM will be faster no matter how you look at it... xen is a hypervisor kernel by itself in addition to linux domu and dom0 or whatever the nomenclature is.

Quote Originally Posted by nwmcsween View Post
    How can something be "based" on something else when it's exactly the same thing (redhat kvm is exactly the same as mainline kvm maybe except for a few minor patches).
    I assume that the quote came from one of the Red Hat overview/introduction pages so please correct me if I am wrong? Until Red Hat mentions what RHEV is/based on/running on then the world "KVM" could be substituted for any other hypervisor name or technology. My interpretation is they are introducing RHEV(their product offering) and that RHEV is based on KVM and not KVM is based on KVM. If anything my forum post title could be reworded to better reflect the subject. Mea culpa. From my own experience(which probably means nothing at all), KVM is still fighting for basic acknowledgement that it is something other than "keyboard, video and monitor" for PHB types that might only know VMWare/EMC, Citrex or Microsoft as players in the virtualization market.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceetoe View Post
    For those keeping up with the lastest virtualization news, Red Hat's hypervisor is now "Generally Available" as of today. Based on KVM, it may be a good alternative to VMWare if you need commercial support in your virtualization implementation.
    FWIW, we've been running KVM in production for more than a year with no problems.