Please recommend a good host for email and a file upload page.

Email Needs.

A few accounts that will probably hold a few gigabytes worth of data. I need each account to use IMAP and handle up to 5 customer service reps simultaneously accessing the same account via IMAP. * We tried this previously with Google for domains but were limited to 10 simultaneous connections via IMAP *

Website

Just a basic LAMP setup is fine and the mysql isn't even necessary. I will be hosting a basic form for hi-res photo uploading though so I need to have a pretty high timeout and memory limit for php.

As far as traffic on the site is concerned, I don't anticipate more than a handful of users on the site at a time.

My question is - do you think a good shared host in the $10 a month range could handle a project like this? Can you recommend one?

I can setup a VPS on Linode for $20 a month that I'm sure could handle this, but I'm not a server admin and don't want to risk managing sensitive data myself.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Be advised that most shared hosts do not allow file uploading/storage, so make sure to read the TOS of any host you're interested in or ask any hosts if they allow what you want to do.

Personally I think a VPS would be better for what you're trying to do.

5 connections simultaneously to IMAP shouldn't be a major issue I wouldn't think unless the service is very cheap/free.

When you say "Google for domains" do you mean Google Apps?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    5 connections simultaneously to IMAP shouldn't be a major issue I wouldn't think unless the service is very cheap/free.

When you say "Google for domains" do you mean Google Apps?
    I'm sorry, yes, Google Apps. With Google Apps we would get an error stating "too many simultaneous connections" with as few as two or three people checking the account. That is against Google's TOS so I'm not complaining - but that is how we want to use an email account so I need to find a way of making that happen.

Also when I say file uploading - what I really have is a form to email script and part of that form is attaching a family photo that corresponds to an order. She I'm not really using the server for file storage, but technically the photo will be on the server since it will be stored in an email account.

I'd still appreciate the names of a few hosts to start with though. I'm open to the VPS idea, although I'd prefer an inexpensive solution for this project if that is feasible. Linode is inexpensive, but again I don't trust myself managing a production box.

Well from what you say I don't think you'd have problem with a mid to high level shared account or a low to mid VPS - it just depends on how much you want to pay and how good at server management you are or aren't.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

How much were you looking to spend on this? That will be able to help me point you in the right direction
    Whitney Godard - Account Manager
    SingleHop Inc. - www.singlehop.com Exclusive Specials - www.singlehop.com/jeremymiller
    Phone: 1-866-817-2811 ext. 107

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Well from what you say I don't think you'd have problem with a mid to high level shared account or a low to mid VPS - it just depends on how much you want to pay and how good at server management you are or aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleHopWhitney View Post
    How much were you looking to spend on this? That will be able to help me point you in the right direction
    In my head I came in here thinking I could pull this off for less than $20.00 a month so I'm hoping that is true.

I'm no stranger to the real cost of hosting. Our retail website is hosted on a Microsoft server with a MSSQL license that runs us $500.00 a month and as a personal project I have a 3 million post forum than costs me $100.00 a month...

But I figure this isn't remotely as intensive as either of those things so my monthly expectation is based on that.

As far as level of management is concerned - I have no level of actual training in server administration - anything I know is learned from trial and error and internet research. I can and have setup a LAMP and a mail server and had it working, but its a working knowledge - not a trouble shooting knowledge.

So basically I like the idea of having access to everything because that is what I'm used to and I'm not threatened by it - but I'd also like to have the backup that a managed solution provides should I run into a catastrophe that requires more skill.

Any recommendations?