Any good host for burst traffic?

So I work on a large website with a very large forum. When there are problems with the site, people may be sent to our status site. We just did that, with the site hosted on Dreamhost and it barely lasted 5 minutes (hehehe). Is there any viable host/option that could support these circumstances?

Near-zero users a day but may suddenly spike to more than 5,000/day?

Thanks!
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!

5,000/day is no problem but if it's 5,000 in 10 minutes that could be a problem in many places.

My suggestion would be to put up a *static* copy of your status page (i.e. open it and save it as .html and then upload that file).

Beyond that, any quality host should be able to handle it especially if it's not all at once (but I suspect it may be).
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Will the website be of static HTML or dynamic PHP content?
    How frequent does the sudden spike occur?
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

If you really want to burst for short term and you already serve static content the different CDN networks might be something for you. Sure you will pay a premium for the bandwidth but you do not have to worry about outages due to bursts.

If you haven't found any host yet, you could try checking the offer section forum. You have plenty of choices there, and might find one that could provide you with what you need. =)

an Indian Institutes of Technology website has same issue, whole year they have no traffic, but they face problems when the yearly IIT results declares

you can try with IDS Web Hosting a managed hosting division of IDS Logic Pvt. Ltd. have managed more than 3lac users/day. their servers are with Rack Space.

I think the deciding factor would be the server hardware and how many clients are on that server. You could have a dual core server that could handle it (if it was just one site) or you could have a dual quad with 12 or 24gb of ram and SCSI drives that couldn't if it had 500 shared hosting accounts on it.

Generally the higher end shared accounts (the ones where you pay more, and they put less on the server) will have a better chance of surviving an onslaught and in my experiences LiteSpeed handles thousands of requests per minute better than Apache.

I think HawkHost would be able to meet your needs but you will need to search up reviews because I don't have any personal experience to be able to actually recommend them.

Sounds like something for cloud computing style of hosting..

what size pipe do you have at the moment? do you have any stats showing the bottle necks you are getting? could be a problem with the backend (database or disk IO/CPU issue) not serving up the pages quick enough rather than a bandwidth limitation.

I don't know what sort of polices DreamHost has, but my website with IGXHost has had 137 active and stayed online.

http://whos.amung.us/pro/stats/history/monthly/mu5y/

Doreo hosting can easily handle that! YOu can also try vade.ie; reliable people, small company.

Quote Originally Posted by Triexa View Post
    So I work on a large website with a very large forum. When there are problems with the site, people may be sent to our status site. We just did that, with the site hosted on Dreamhost and it barely lasted 5 minutes (hehehe). Is there any viable host/option that could support these circumstances?

Near-zero users a day but may suddenly spike to more than 5,000/day?

Thanks!
    I have a shared account with he.net, it handled a spike of ~35k/day (site running wordpress) without issues. Give them a try.