pre-pay/buydown options

I'm looking to get a couple dedicated servers. I generally find the monthly price on upgrades to be unreasonable so I'm very interested in options that let you pay upfront to reduce the reoccurring monthly cost. The only company I've found is NetDepot, but I'd like some more choice (not that I'm ruling out NetDepot, I just like choice)

For example, if I get 8gb of ram + a 2nd HDD + RAID 1, I'd be paying 150 + 20 + 50 a month at softlayer.

However, if I buydown the same thing at NetDepot, I'd pay 360 + 113 + 250 upfront.

Over 1 year, the cost of the upgrades without the buydown is $2640 with the buydown its $723.

The costs of upgrade is so prohibitive, I'm even considering collocating. Any thoughts?

I believe you need to contact the Sales representatives, as usually companies can do good discounts on those Ram upgrades.
    The price for upgrades always very $$. This is business, so companies are trying to earn money on everything.
    As to the colo, I believe it won't be cost you less
    Last edited by CaroNetTanya; 11-03-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: -

Specially on one time cost of upgrades companies tend to charge you more than the market price.

There is a number of reason for this. Hardwares might get damaged and it is the SLA of the Company to change it for you without taking any additional charges. So majority of the companies would charge you higher so that they don't end up loosing money for a faulty hardware.

If you have the budget you can go for Colocation. But you must keep extra backup hardwares.

I'm not sure of your requirements, but take a look at Tailor Made Servers and talk to JoseQ. TMS will let you buy down pretty much everything, including the base cost of the server. I think we spend an extra $200 per server to knock the monthly cost down by $40?

Oh, and forget their website... the prices aren't as great. Take a look at the last sale to get an idea of what type of offers they have available:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=897227

I understand why the cost is what it is, but I think my request was missed by the fact that I provided a comparison. I'm specifically looking for hosts that will let you buy down - essentially signing a long-ish term contract for lower rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
    TMS will let you buy down pretty much everything, including the base cost of the server.
    Thanks Pat, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for

If you ask a sales representative of the host you are interested, I am sure they would be willing to lower your costs if you sign a long term contract while still paying monthly. It won't be cheap as paying for that term up front but it should be cheaper than just going month to month.

Not all hosts will do this, you just need to find the one that will.

I'm aware that TMS and NetDepot offer Buy-Downs and I think that ******* might also offer them - all 3 would get my vote

I can't imagine this would be a problem with most providers, but you will likely have to contact them. From past experience it gets a little messy / confusing to some when listing all of those options on an order page.
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

email a few providers alot of them will do it.

Buydowns are the way to go!!! Especially if you plan on keeping the server for a long time. If signing an agreement is possible for you, perhaps you should bring that up with the sales reps to see what kind of offers they can come up with. Most people shy away from hosting agreements so sales reps don't usually push them.

Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    I'm looking to get a couple dedicated servers. I generally find the monthly price on upgrades to be unreasonable so I'm very interested in options that let you pay upfront to reduce the reoccurring monthly cost. The only company I've found is NetDepot, but I'd like some more choice (not that I'm ruling out NetDepot, I just like choice)

For example, if I get 8gb of ram + a 2nd HDD + RAID 1, I'd be paying 150 + 20 + 50 a month at softlayer.

However, if I buydown the same thing at NetDepot, I'd pay 360 + 113 + 250 upfront.

Over 1 year, the cost of the upgrades without the buydown is $2640 with the buydown its $723.

The costs of upgrade is so prohibitive, I'm even considering collocating. Any thoughts?
    I say get the sever that is cheapest for you just as long as your looking to use it for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
    I'm not sure of your requirements, but take a look at Tailor Made Servers and talk to JoseQ. TMS will let you buy down pretty much everything, including the base cost of the server. I think we spend an extra $200 per server to knock the monthly cost down by $40?

Oh, and forget their website... the prices aren't as great. Take a look at the last sale to get an idea of what type of offers they have available:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=897227
    Yes, TMS definitely does them and I can recommend them.
    Also, databasebydesign (https://www.databasebydesignllc.com/) seems to have them, though I don't have personal experience with their hardware offerings (only their VPS)