Do you think this will work ? (Win 7 upgrade edition)

This is regarding Win7 upgrade edition.

I have a Win7 professional retail box which I purchased yesterday and upgraded my main PC with it.

Now, I also found out that my old University of Toronto e-mail still works and I can use it for student edition of my choice between Home premium and Professional for 40 CAD.
    I've actually used this and have been verified that I do qualify for a student edition of my choice. (one purchase granted)

Now, I know that upgrade install can be pain in you-know-where.

So, how about this.

If I choose Win7 professional student upgrade edition and use my retail professional disk to install and simply use my upgrade edition product key to activate it, will it work ?

I'd like to know this before I shell out 40 CAD. My spare PC does have activated Vista home premium and I know I can use upgrade edition on it to install win7 right away, but I am thinking the future where I will need to reinstall the OS again.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

To my understanding, the key will only work with the included media. So no.

However, there is a workaround. I'm not sure if I can share it here.
    Freelance Web DnD & Hosting Studio
    www.techiedesign.net

Bummer then. Though I thought as long as a product key is valid, it is valid on any disk as long as edition is correct. At least that's what it seems to be with Vista.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

I'm pretty sure this would work - both the upgrade and retail discs seem to be identical, only the product key determines the license.

I know that the product key can invoke a check within Windows to see whether or not the installation was an upgrade or a clean install (e.g you do a clean install, then when you insert your upgrade key it tells you it is not valid, although there are ways around this)

Are you trying to do a clean install and then activate with an upgrade license, or just upgrade using a retail disc and then activate with a upgrade license?

I presume that your university would offer an ISO with their upgrade license, and so far all ISO's i have seen are identical, so i think it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Bembridge View Post
    Are you trying to do a clean install and then activate with an upgrade license, or just upgrade using a retail disc and then activate with a upgrade license?

I presume that your university would offer an ISO with their upgrade license, and so far all ISO's i have seen are identical, so i think it will work.
    I wish to do a clean install (format and install) and input a upgrade product key.

Yes, U of T (University of Toronto) is providing the ISO, but it's upgrade edition ISO.

Ok - then i think it should work, is there anyway you can test it?

Have a read on Paul Thurrotts site, he details lots of upgrade scenarios.

I have upgraded vista machines using retail media and used a retail product key, but have no experience doing it the other way round.

As i said, i'm quite confident it will work, but don't want to promise anything!

C.

Yeah, it sounds like it might work. Then, it may not.

I am going to do a little googling and pay a visit to the link you posted. I might as well just purchase the darn license since it's only for 40 CAD. I am pretty sure I will be able to find some sort of "dark" workaround later. heh.
    The product key is legit, and that's all that matters.

I will let you know the result if I do go for it.

Yeah go for it!

I'm positive that all the Windows 7 disc's are indentical (there is one file that determines the version you can install) but i'm sure upgrade iso's are the same as retail, as that link clearly shows you can do a clean installation using an upgrade iso, so i'm sure it will work the other way round.

Hope it works for you - i've upgraded about 9 PC's so far and they have all gone very well, really impressed with Windows 7!

C.

Worked like charm.

Here is what I did.

1. Purchase student Win7 professional upgrade edition license at 39.99 CAD.

2. I used my own Win7 professional retail CD to clean-install on my spare PC. Data is always on my NAS, so no backup needed.

3. I used the student Win7 professional upgrade key.

It accepted the key and activated without a trouble.

Yay.

Excellent news

I was pretty sure it would work, the installation media's are never different, just the product key.

Glad it went ok! Enjoy Windows 7!

C,