New webmaster lookin for advice on hosting package

Hello, I'm starting a business and need a hosting package that has a website builder with it. It's not an ecommerce site but is the kind of site that will require frequent updates that i'd like to make myself - not pay a monthly fee to have the site maintained by some company. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good site for my needs.. I've done some research and Intuit.com and Ipage.com seem like my top two.. anyone have suggestions or input on these?

Also lookin for low prices.. for instance intuit.com is around 5/mo and ipage is 3.5/mo, so i'm obviously lookin for shared hosting. any help is appreciated, thanks

Are you prepared to pay annually, or biannually? Because that's what you'll be paying if you want to get the advertised monthly prices from places like iPage. You will find better deals on higher quality hosting if you figure out how much resources you need and purchase a non-oversold limited plan to meet those needs, rather than going the route of an unlimited plan.

A lot of hosts have website builders, your resource usage will determine which route you should go.

How much space and bandwidth are you looking for? You can always checkout the offers section here at WHT for any specials.
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

What is your Budget Maximum and Minimum if any?
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

my budget max is about 10 dollars a month.. i dont know exactly how much space ill need..maybe about 100-150 pages.. and the biggest thing is i need a website builder with the package.. i dont have a site now.. id like to build it and host it all with one company to make it simple

do you plan on streaming music or video? Anything that would take up extra space in your ftp? Otherwise just html pages you shouldn't need more then a gig maybe two tops which are well within your budget.
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

If your sites are Audio, Video Flash, Gallery orientated they might consume more Space and Bandwidth and Usage, Though if it is more to Text based you might not require as much as you think

Their are quite a few companies that do use the Site Builders, Personally I find them useless as their are many other FREE Website Builders you can download and utilise with just the same.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

mookiewebber,

Most web hosts include some type of site building software with their packages with the most popular application being RVSiteBuilder Pro. RVSiteBuilder is extremely easy to use, includes hundreds of templates and, for a web-based editor, is pretty powerful.

I would not suggest hinging your hosting decision on whether or not a host offers a site builder though. You can always download a free, easy to use editor and site manager like Komopzer to build and maintain your site with. This may turn out to be a better option in the long run because while programs like RVSiteBuilder are great for beginners, as you become more experienced with building web pages what you want to accomplish with your site may not be possible with a web-based editor.

For your actual hosting needs, unless you plan on hosting a large amount of multimedia files, 1 or 2 gigabytes (if that) will likely be a good starting spot for you. For that amount of space your budget is certainly suitable and you will be able to find a reliable, reputable host that fits your needs.

Try using the Advanced Search tool here on WHT to search this section of the board for a term such as simply "review" (or just click here, I've done it for you ) Check out the hosts' sites and see if they have a package that fits your needs. Once you find a host that looks attractive, check other reputable review sites such as HostJury to ensure you are getting reliable information about the host. You can also check the Offers forum here on WHT to see if you can save a few dollars on the host of your choice as well.

Once you choose your host, I would suggest paying monthly, quarterly at the most, until you are confident you have chosen the right company. Some times the prospect of saving money by signing up for 6 months, 1 year or more with a host is attractive but you'd be better off having to move after a month if you are unhappy as opposed to having to move and dealing with the hassle of trying to get your money back, if it is even possible to.

Good luck with your search and let us know who you decide on.

Checkout the offers section. Email a host you find there and they can probably help you out.
    VPSforMe.com - OpenVZ Virtualization with SolusVM Control Panel on High Quality Servers.
    VPSforMe.com - Inexpensive VPSs with great features.
    VPSforMe.com - 24/7 Ticket Support with FAST Replies
    VPSforMe.com - CEO Jackson H - [email protected]

As stated in the above posts if you are just hosting php/html pages 1GB would be more than plenty for you and this will be well within your budget. Have a search around for a host that provides what you need; site builders are two a penny these days. You may want to Google "CMS". This will show you things like E107 which you may be interested in using,

Regards
    Nick
    <<signatures to be set up in your profile>>
    Last edited by bear; 11-03-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Have you found a host yet? By the way, if you're not sure about a host, its better to test them first for at least a month or so before availing an annual package.Its safer that way. =)

Quote Originally Posted by akirah View Post
    Have you found a host yet? By the way, if you're not sure about a host, its better to test them first for at least a month or so before availing an annual package.Its safer that way. =)
    If you are going to test/switch, you definitely what to use a site builder of your own. You new host might not support the old one and then you would have to rebuild the site. But you are certainly right, akirah, one of the best ways to find out if a host will fit your needs is to try them.