Can you put a subdomain on a different server?

I have a design client who's main site (eg. site.com) is currently hosted, let's say, at some-other-host.com. He wants to add a blog to his site. I could just set up a subdomain for it and be done with it, but for SEO purposes, I prefer to put his blog on my server which is a different IP.

So is there a way to put his blog, as a subdomain, on my server even though the main site is hosted elsewhere? Is there some magic that can be done in the DNS settings (cpanel/WHM) that can point to the files on my server? Or does he have to simply buy another domain for the blog?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Yes!

Just create the main domain on serverA, then the domain *again* on serverB(Even if it was blog.mydomain.com just create mydomain.com on ServerB).

Then go to ServerA -> DNS Functions -> edit DNS zone -> scroll down to mydomain.com -> edit -> scroll down until you see "Add New Entries Below this Line" -> enter blog.mydomain.com -> select "A" record -> and enter the IP of the other servers domain(So ServerB's IP).
    Jacob Wall - GetCloak.com

Thanks Jacob. That sounds perfect. Only problem is that I have root access to serverB (mine), but not to serverA since my client is just on a shared hosting account. I suppose I could ask his host to create the new DNS entry?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by vito View Post
    Thanks Jacob. That sounds perfect. Only problem is that I have root access to serverB (mine), but not to serverA since my client is just on a shared hosting account. I suppose I could ask his host to create the new DNS entry?

Vito
    Yes, or switch which is hosted at which. So move the main site to your server, and host the blog at the other.

Some hosts will edit DNS, others won't. Have a good day
    Jacob Wall - GetCloak.com

Quote Originally Posted by vito View Post
    I have a design client who's main site (eg. site.com) is currently hosted, let's say, at some-other-host.com. He wants to add a blog to his site. I could just set up a subdomain for it and be done with it, but for SEO purposes, I prefer to put his blog on my server which is a different IP.

So is there a way to put his blog, as a subdomain, on my server even though the main site is hosted elsewhere? Is there some magic that can be done in the DNS settings (cpanel/WHM) that can point to the files on my server? Or does he have to simply buy another domain for the blog?

Vito
    Short answer: yes, you can.

Long answer:

Every "subdomain", as it is often called in some control panels, is just an "A" (or AAAA for IPv6) record, and, you can have as many of these as you want (each of them pointing to whatever address you want), as long as *you* are the one who control the DNS records.

If your control panel doesn't let you create the new "A" record and point it to another IP, you have a couple of choices:

1. Move the domain to another DNS server (maybe, your server), and there configure: the current records + the new records you need.
    2. Move the domain to a free DNS host (or, almost free), like zoneedit, and there you can even have dynamic DNS entries, in addition to static ones.

I hope this helps,

Ildefonso Camargo

Hosting subdomain on a different server.

Thanks for this advice, very helpful.

I wanted to do this on a (CPANEL) hosting service and to use an "add on domain" for the subdomain.

The advice says:

Just create the main domain on serverA, then the domain *again* on serverB(Even if it was blog.mydomain.com just create mydomain.com on ServerB).

However, in this case I needed to create an add-on domain for blog.mydomain.com (not mydomain.com) in order to get everything to work. I presume this applies because I am using an "add-on" domain, but thought this would be worth reporting.

Thanks again..... Brendan Blake