Great webhost for a small personal website

I've read some reviews of good hosting services here on WHT. However, most of the people who were looking for 'cheap' web hosting were asked to look in the offers section.

I am looking for some very good web hosts for a small personal website.

Just 1 domain, no need for parking etc.
    1 blog/small portfolio kind of website.
    Traffic - nothing to boast about
    Somebody who gives a monthly payment option. (Some of the $2/$3 ones I checked had advance payment for upto 2 years.)
    Price upto $5/month should be ok, slightly less would be ideal though.
    Good quality hosting, uptime and customer support.

I have already come across Hostgator Baby plan ($4.95) and Arvixe personal plan ($4/month).

What are a few others that you think highly of? Also, please remember: I am not looking for the best option, I am looking for a few good web hosts that will fit the requirements.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

HostGator is a solid web host if you can afford them. It sounds like with your requirements you would be fine with a smaller plan.
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

plenty of hosts would be able to host you since your requirements are minimal - you definitely won't need much space since it's a small spot and you already said you don't need much bandwidth.

If you plan on using a blog cms like wordpress, I'd recommend going with a host that offers installatron (or fantastico) because it makes installing and upgrading the blog much easier. If you have any other idea in mind then installatron or fantastico would be useful for future projects when you need to save time on installs.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Joeglow View Post
    I've read some reviews of good hosting services here on WHT. However, most of the people who were looking for 'cheap' web hosting were asked to look in the offers section.

I am looking for some very good web hosts for a small personal website.

Just 1 domain, no need for parking etc.
    1 blog/small portfolio kind of website.
    Traffic - nothing to boast about
    Somebody who gives a monthly payment option. (Some of the $2/$3 ones I checked had advance payment for upto 2 years.)
    Price upto $5/month should be ok, slightly less would be ideal though.
    Good quality hosting, uptime and customer support.

I have already come across Hostgator Baby plan ($4.95) and Arvixe personal plan ($4/month).

What are a few others that you think highly of? Also, please remember: I am not looking for the best option, I am looking for a few good web hosts that will fit the requirements.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Keep in mind that like all large unlimited hosts, HostGator's advertised $4.95/mo is if you pay years in advance. Their monthly price is $8.95 + $5 setup. Otherwise you should have no problems finding a good host to fit your needs. Contacting potential hosts is not a bad idea either, as it will give you a good indication of support.

Hello ,

try Hostgator.com

A web host which may be out of your budget can certainly be within your budget with coupons, look for providers that match your requirements then search for coupons, most companies are giving up to 75% off first payment. If you sign up for a full year, your first year comes out to be almost a $1 month with some companies. Looking at your budget and requirements, I'd say any web host would do just be sure to read up some feedback before signing up to avoid the extremely bad ones.

You should also check if the web host has been in business for over a year, that would indicate some stability. But don't rely solely upon this. Money back guarantee should be a must as well

I've read plenty of rave reviews about Media Layer, Hostgator, Hawkhost, and also Precision Effect.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by WireNine; 11-02-2009 at 05:41 PM.

The OP mentioned that he is already aware of the Offers section, he is looking for actual recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    The OP mentioned that he is already aware of the Offers section, he is looking for actual recommendations.
    Thread cleaned, because of that very thing.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustHosting View Post
    Keep in mind that like all large unlimited hosts, HostGator's advertised $4.95/mo is if you pay years in advance. Their monthly price is $8.95 + $5 setup.
    Darn, I was thinking that it was a monthly paid option! Thanks for that. Looks like I'll have to keep my eyes out for those small prints.

I reccomend Totalchoicehosting.com. They do offer monthly payments with no additional fees. For example, basic plan: 4$monthly or 44$ yearly. They give normal amount of space (1400 mB) and bandwith (40 G).
    Support - excellent, their online support is excellent.
    Uptime - had no problems so far.
    Quality - their own servers which cause no problems (at least for me).
    You may check my review on them here, at WHT.

I suppose that would be good idea to visit official web site of the developers of the your blog software and seek for the recommendations there.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali View Post
    A web host which may be out of your budget can certainly be within your budget with coupons, look for providers that match your requirements then search for coupons, most companies are giving up to 75% off first payment. If you sign up for a full year, your first year comes out to be almost a $1 month with some companies.
    That sounds like a nice tip. Thanks!

Money back guarantee should be a must as well
    Yes, I am particular about this as well.

I've read plenty of rave reviews about Media Layer, Hostgator, Hawkhost, and also Precision Effect.
    Cool! This is the kind of suggestion I was looking for. I'll look up for their reviews.

Cool! This is the kind of suggestion I was looking for. I'll look up for their reviews.
    I suppose that will be not the problem at all to do the search for them personally. In any case that is someones opinion and to be happy with the host you need to have your own one and that impossible to have without trying web hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Joeglow View Post
    I agree it's nice that someone finally posted some web host suggestions

After you narrow down your list, remember to check the shared hosting offers forum where web hosts offer coupons to save even more. Not all web hosts offer coupons but I do know the latter two do (HawkHost & PrecisionEffect).

MediaLayer and PrecisionEffect use DirectAdmin which is obviously different than cPanel.
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Make sure you do your research, and check up on customer comments and concerns. That should give you a good idea how the service will pan out for you. Best of luck with your search!
    Whitney Godard - Account Manager
    SingleHop Inc. - www.singlehop.com Exclusive Specials - www.singlehop.com/jeremymiller
    Phone: 1-866-817-2811 ext. 107

The reason why some give an advise to check out the offer section cause there are plenty to choose from there. You could always try contacting a host that has an offer you like or want to know more about.

But regarding hostgator, since you have the budget for it, its good as well to try them out. Since there are a lot of good reviews about them here.