Wordpress CPU usage..

For some reason, one of my clients wordpress blog is using 100% cpu on a php process per page load. To clarify, the first time you load the page it is very slow, and uses 100% cpu for the PHP process and then if you reload the page (while it is going slow) it loads very fast. After that is done the normal PHP usage per page load is roughly 1-4% if that.

I'm guessing something in the coding is looping, but I am unsure. What I do know is 100% cpu usage for one page view initially is insane.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix/resolve this issue?. Thank you!.

You are absolutely right, it is something in the coding, more likely a plugin they added. Start by disabling them one at a time and see if that helps. This will help you narrow down the problem
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

If other WP blogs run fine on server, it means there is a problem with some custom code or incorrect settings.

Most likely customer has some kind of plugin which uses lots of CPU, or blog has some weird settings activated Web Hosting - First class web hosting services.
    Boxbilling - Complete billing, invoicing and client management system.

Have you made any recent changes to wordpress like installing plugins or themes? Either go ahead and disable them or update them to most stable release to see it resolves your issue.
    Windows/Linux Expert; Plesk/Cpanel/Ensim Guru.
    ..and an expert spam tracker.

You may want to take a look at

Most of the time its related to a bad plugin, those plugin can eat cpu like no tomorrow.

Houston, Texas, USA
    You generally see that behavior with caching. The first time you browse the php page the server has to run the PHP script directly (no opcode caching). So the CPU is pegged. The second time around, caching takes place and the opcode is used instead. You definitely need to dig through the PHP script coding issues.

UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe >

Make sure that you does'nt have any unwanted plugins present in your wordpress. If it is there try to remove it as this might be one reason for increasing load on the server.
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers

Lakeland, FL
    Try switching to a quick-loading theme first (like Swift 2.1.4 by Satish Gandham) and test it to make sure it's not theming. IF it's not, disable all the plug-ins and add them back one at a time. You might use this as an opportunity to review your plug-ins to see if you really need them. So many people use lots of plug-ins that they don't really need. Try to keep it to ten or under at most, unless you can really strongly defend the extras.
    And, hey, let us know what happens!!!