DreamHost, that was the last straw

I've been a DreamHost customer for a few years now. I like to remain loyal to one brand, but I just can't stand DreamHost's down times (My website is down as I am writing this). I enjoy their cpanel a lot, and I was wondering if anyone can suggest me a few alternatives. I am currently on shared hosting with over 10+ domains. I read about, ANHosting, BlueHost, and HostGator. I want something fast, and I might even settle for a cheap VPS. However, I don't know how much resources do I use, so we will have to work out the details if I choose a VPS.

Suggest away guys!

I would think you are landing yourself in more trouble by continuing into the Unlimited Sector, If you can get a hold of what you currently use, You could determine how much you would need to look for and seek webhosts who fit into your price bracket.

Cheap is not always better, Though, What sort of websites do you run?
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

What resources do you really need and how much can you pay? You really do not need "unlimited" hosts.
    From the hosts I have used - Downtownhost allows unlimited domains, their basic plan costing 7,95$/month if paid for 1 year.
    If your websites make big amounts of traffic - you may consider VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post
    I would think you are landing yourself in more trouble by continuing into the Unlimited Sector, If you can get a hold of what you currently use, You could determine how much you would need to look for and seek webhosts who fit into your price bracket.

It's quite hard to categorize my websites. However, they are not forums.

Here are my usages:

MySQL Disk Usage: 85.681 MB

Disk Usage: ~5GB

Bandwidth Usage for this month
    Total Used So Far: 1.589 GB
    Estimated Usage For Cycle: 2.239 GB

It's quite hard to categorize my websites. However, they are not forums.

Here are my usages:

MySQL Disk Usage: 85.681 MB

Disk Usage: ~5GB

Bandwidth Usage for this month
    Total Used So Far: 1.589 GB
    Estimated Usage For Cycle: 2.239 GB
    This should be suited well to a Shared Webhosting Provider, Though as I am unsure of the content of the sites in question it might be harder to give a definitive answer. All I could say is a VPS might be a waste of money at this point in time though that decision I will leave up to you.

Their are quite a large amount of Non-Unlimited Webhosts on the market, To avoid such issues that you are encountering I would search for a webhost that fits into your budget and allocations, Though, I would expand your space and bandwidth allocations to atleast double what you are allocated just in the case of sudden expansion.

What sort of budget do you have at present?

P.S, Have you contacted DreamHost in regards to the downtime, Perhpas they could transfer you to a different server?

This should be suited well to a Shared Webhosting Provider, Though as I am unsure of the content of the sites in question it might be harder to give a definitive answer. All I could say is a VPS might be a waste of money at this point in time though that decision I will leave up to you.

Their are quite a large amount of Non-Unlimited Webhosts on the market, To avoid such issues that you are encountering I would search for a webhost that fits into your budget and allocations, Though, I would expand your space and bandwidth allocations to atleast double what you are allocated just in the case of sudden expansion.

What sort of budget do you have at present?

P.S, Have you contacted DreamHost in regards to the downtime, Perhpas they could transfer you to a different server?
    My budget is about $100 a year, $20 more or less. Well, I have asked them about the reasons for down time, but that's it. I can leave a few of my less important websites on DreamHost and see how they run after I request a server change. Either way, I need a more stable solution. It's important for my website to be live at all times or at least ACTUALLY 99.999999%.

EDIT: If you could give me a few suggestions, that would be awesome.

ACTUALLY 99.999999%.
    I am not sure you will find a Webhost that will have an uptime 99.999999% ... Their is always the concern of downtime so do not expect to find a webhost that has a superior uptime of 99.999999%.

I am not sure you will find a Webhost that will have an uptime 99.999999% ... Their is always the concern of downtime so do not expect to find a webhost that has a superior uptime of 99.999999%.

So Sean, can you give me some personal recommendations?

I thought about ANHosting, but... Midphase owns them and Midphase is stained with the word "unlimited". However, I'm open to different opinions.

Go with Downtownhost.com. Their basic plan offer some 10 Gb space and 200 Gb bandwith (Jedito will correct if I was wrong). The price is 7,95$ month if paid for 1 year. They offer unlimited addon domains.

Quote Originally Posted by maniakaz View Post
    Go with Downtownhost.com. Their basic plan offer some 10 Gb space and 200 Gb bandwith (Jedito will correct if I was wrong). The price is 7,95$ month if paid for 1 year. They offer unlimited addon domains.
    I like this. Now my website is growing, and it's currently getting around 150-200 visitors a day. Will this affect performance in load times? Is this considered expensive? I grew up with brands like DreamHost offering such low prices. Is this hosting one of those "quality over quantity" types? One last thing, I prefer west coast locations. Is DownTownHost west coast (I'm checking as I write this)?
    Last edited by bx510; 11-02-2009 at 05:57 AM.

I like this. Now my website is growing, and it's currently getting around 150-200 visitors a day. Will this affect performance in load times? Is this considered expensive? I grew up with brands like DreamHost offering such low prices. Is this hosting one of those "quality over quantity" types?
    Do you know how many concurrent users are on your site at any one time, I did read that they are not Forums, So it should be fine depending on the content.

Forums are Database driven so the more users on at any given time the more resource consumption is required.

Seeing as I do not host with a Webhost perse I could not recommend anyone but Hostgator as a past customer, However, I do despise the Unlimited Garbage

Would you have a Service with Downtown Host?

I was pretty much sold after reading this post: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...3&postcount=13

I'll get cracking tomorrow when the sun's out.

99.999999% uptime is 0.31 seconds of downtime a year. Which might technically be doable for a small static site if you duplicate the content to about two dozen hosts and have a highly redundant DNS setup, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

There are some 100% SLA hosts, but the meaning of that is closer to "we will go down every once in a while, and when we do we'll pay you some pennies in compensation."

I had a service with Downtownhost and there still should be review on them. They oversell a bit, but at my times their service was good, pricing was good and I was satisfied with their perfomance. That's why I reccomend them.
    Is this hosting one of those "quality over quantity" types?
    It may be. Their support was quick, sometimes - faster than me, they were very eager to help me with all issues, from site migration to closing my account. They oversell some resources, but at my times it did not affect quality.
    One last thing, I prefer west coast locations. Is DownTownHost west coast (I'm checking as I write this)?
    They should have. As far as I remember, I asked to move my site at their own server what they gladly did. The speed improved (but I forgot the server name).
    I doubt if 99,9999 is possible. As an advertising trick - yes. In fact - no. DTH offers 99,9% support. I think it is enough.

No host can assured you a full uptime guarantee. As atleast once a while the server is going to get reboot for maintenance purpose.
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    KeserHosting.Com

:)

Quote Originally Posted by keserhosting View Post
    No host can assured you a full uptime guarantee. As atleast once a while the server is going to get reboot for maintenance purpose.
    For 100% you are right. Company which will insure you about 100% of uptime are lying for sure.And I advice you to stay away from those.
    As to recommendations,I read a lot of good reviews about Lunarpages.com and Hostgator. Try to contact a few companies, so you can compare the time respond and choose the best deal for you.

Meantime Dreamhost has also very good reputation, so maybe wait till they will move you to another server

Give them a chance

Quote Originally Posted by maniakaz View Post
    I had a service with Downtownhost and there still should be review on them.
    Yes still it is there.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=659011

Quote Originally Posted by bx510
    I was pretty much sold after reading this post
    Actually DTH has got such a solid reputation here. So I would say your decision is the right one. Give us a review if you sign up with them. Best of luck.

I thought about ANHosting, but... Midphase owns them and Midphase is stained with the word "unlimited". However, I'm open to different opinions.
    625 GB Space with 6250 GB Bandwidth is just another way of saying unlimited. You'll still be sharing a server with hundreds of other customers, and that is the real limit.

This is $5 hosting, don't expect a dedicated server's worth of service out of it, and you'll be unlikely to be disappointed.

As to recommendations,I read a lot of good reviews about Lunarpages.com and Hostgator.
    In my experience, Lunarpages' uptime is slightly worse that Dreamhost's.

...or at least ACTUALLY 99.999999%.
    Well, if you have millions of dollars and you're ready to spend them to host your site, you might be able to find that.

For us, average folks, with under $10/month to spend on hosting, 99.9%+ uptime is what we'll have to live with. Truth be told, we don't really need more than that anyway. We don't really have that much to lose if the site is down for 10 minutes a couple of times per month, do we?

Even that 99.9+% real uptime can be hard to find at this price point.

Quote Originally Posted by bx510 View Post
    So Sean, can you give me some personal recommendations?

Just pointing out that MidPhase does not own ANhosting - UK2Group.com owns both. At UK2Group you will find high end enterprise brands hosting services like the "Home Office", Kenwood, HSBC, BBC etc - and we have brands that give you free hosting with every domain targeted towards other entirely other client segments.

My point is that just like Minute Maid and Dr Pepper is owned by the Coca Cola Co, their taste is quite different
    So, while MidPhase and ANhosting are both owned by UK2Group - their setup might not be the same.

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyup View Post
    HawkHost or MDDHosting have good reviews across the board. Search 'em on the forums.
    Yeah surely that is a reasonable suggestion mate.

Guys, maybe I should of made it more clear, but when I said that 99.999999% thing. I was trying to say how most companies put a lot of emphasis on their up times and don't actually have those up times. I was kind of trying to make a joke, but I guess that failed with the lack of tone involved.

Couldn't agree more. If you want noticeable improvement in performance and uptime, go for a host that gives you a reasonable resource allotment for a reasonable price, rather than "unlimited". I highly doubt you would notice any improvement by switching to lunarpages.

Quote Originally Posted by keserhosting View Post
    But they should AT LEAST let you know or give some kind of notification, on the site or through mass mail. But sure, many hosting providers out there can fit your needs. I'd hit the offers sections.

Downtown host has been mentioned a few times. I use them and love them. No issues whatsoever, and tech support is fast
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Oh man! That's a nice one too. Thanks for the recommendation. Ugh, now I have to decide between the two. I guess it may come down to how cPanel is like.
    That's an extremely difficult decision but it's one of those where you really can't go wrong.

A few things to consider:
    DTH has an amazing reputation on WHT but don't take my word for it. Search for reviews.
    HawkHost.com has servers on the west coast (Seattle, WA).
    HawkHost.com uses Litespeed, not sure if DTH does.

Both web hosts offer coupons in the shared hosting offers forum up to 50% off your first payment. In order to maximize your savings, you'll want to select an annual billing cycle. This is a little risky as you may not be 100% happy with your web host, so carefully read their TOS and AUP in regards to cancellations and refunds.
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    My point is that just like Minute Maid and Dr Pepper is owned by the Coca Cola Co, their taste is quite different
    So, while MidPhase and ANhosting are both owned by UK2Group - their setup might not be the same.

D
    I was under the impression Dr. Pepper/Seven Up, Inc. is a direct competitor, rather than a subsidiary, of the Coca Cola Company. You might need to adjust your analogy.
    [GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB] [1000 ≠ 1024] [Giga ≠ gram] [Mega ≠ milli] [Kelvin ≠ kilo] [Byte ≠ bit]
    There is no millibit. There is no gram-bit. There is no Kelvin-Byte.

Quote Originally Posted by petteyg359 View Post
    I was under the impression Dr. Pepper/Seven Up, Inc. is a direct competitor, rather than a subsidiary, of the Coca Cola Company. You might need to adjust your analogy.
    I thought it was fine. He was saying: Two Brands, One Company, Different Tastes

Dr Pepper and Coca Cola are still two separate companies, according to all information I can find.
    [GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB] [1000 ≠ 1024] [Giga ≠ gram] [Mega ≠ milli] [Kelvin ≠ kilo] [Byte ≠ bit]
    There is no millibit. There is no gram-bit. There is no Kelvin-Byte.

HawkHost.com has servers on the west coast (Seattle, WA).
    HawkHost.com uses Litespeed, not sure if DTH does.
    We do have servers in Seattle, WA too
    We do use LiteSpeed too
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I chose DownTownHost since I saw much more of their presence. Also, the 50% off coupon (HawkHost had 40% off) was another point since I am not sure if I'll enjoy the new host. Cuts my losses. They had an affiliate program as well. I don't know if HawkHost does, but they sure made it hard to find (I only glanced their website).

I chose DownTownHost since I saw much more of their presence.
    Excellent choice, I hope you'll come back and post a review in 3-6 months?

Also, the 50% off coupon (HawkHost had 40% off) was another point since I am not sure if I'll enjoy the new host. Cuts my losses.
    Did you sign up for 1 or 2 years?

They had an affiliate program as well. I don't know if HawkHost does, but they sure made it hard to find (I only glanced their website).
    They do (link) and I agree they could make it a little easier to find.
    What's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    We do have servers in Seattle, WA too
    We do use LiteSpeed too
    Thank you, you learn something new everyday
    What's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    Excellent choice, I hope you'll come back and post a review in 3-6 months?

Did you sign up for 1 or 2 years?

They do (link) and I agree they could make it a little easier to find.
    1 year
    Couldn't refuse after seeing that price

Update:
    So guys! You guys suggested that I should ask for a transfer to another server correct? Well, yesterday, there was another down time and it was quite the appropriate time to request a transfer. ALTHOUGH, I was lazy to request in more than one sentence, here's the reply I received.

Your machine required a reboot. Our administration team will continue to
    monitor the stability of the machine. If the problems persists, we will
    gladly move your account to a more stable machine. We sincerely apologize
    for the inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your continued
    patience. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to email
    me directly at *****
    Here's my e-mail if you guys think I may have been rude:
    Subject: DOWNTIME AGAIN?! Come on DreamHost! The server downed 3 times in the last few months! Would you please move me to another server?
    In my DreamHost support history, I have reported downtime on Oct 27 and Nov 4 of this year. Also I have one unrecorded which was when I posted this thread, Nov 2nd. So that's 3 downtimes in a little more than 3 weeks. Well, each time it was "the server rebooted", so I don't know if that's considered an official downtime. However, in my book, anytime my websites not working because of DreamHost then that's downtime.
    Last edited by bx510; 11-04-2009 at 06:04 PM.

I'm curious, how long are these downtime occurrences that you've faced?

Here's what I've witnessed with my Dreamhost account: http://www.pingdom.com/reports/xdibi...ame=Dreamhost1

Not very good, but I've certainly seen worse.

Edit: Funny, I've just received a downtime notice myself.

In my DreamHost support history, I have reported downtime on Oct 27 and Nov 4 of this year. Also I have one unrecorded which was when I posted this thread, Nov 2nd. So that's 3 downtimes in a little more than 3 weeks. Well, each time it was "the server rebooted", so I don't know if that's considered an official downtime. However, in my book, anytime my websites not working because of DreamHost then that's downtime.
    I think that's actually a fairly common pattern for any shared host. Everything can be great for months and then something happens (eg. some elusive piece of hardware going bad or an abusive / careless user coming on board) and it becomes unstable for a period. Then they find and fix the problem and everything's good again, until next time.

After you've gone through one or two of these cycles you're in a much better position to judge the quality of the host. It's a given that a bad thing is going to happen sooner or later - the questions are:
    • how bad does it get?
    • how long does it last?
    • how often does it happen?
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    I think that's actually a fairly common pattern for any shared host. Everything can be great for months and then something happens (eg. some elusive piece of hardware going bad or an abusive / careless user coming on board) and it becomes unstable for a period. Then they find and fix the problem and everything's good again, until next time.

After you've gone through one or two of these cycles you're in a much better position to judge the quality of the host. It's a given that a bad thing is going to happen sooner or later - the questions are:
    • how bad does it get?
    • how long does it last?
    • how often does it happen?
    Anyone who has used DH long enough would agree when I say this. When DreamHost goes down, they go down for a long time. I've used it for probably 3 years, maybe more. I just started complaining more because my websites are getting more traffic so it's more crucial for me to maintain up time.