Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trouble with burst.net

After having a bad experience with some hosts ( I always do backup but that does not keep me from going offline) I decided to purchase additional boxes. I am now trying to purchase a box from burst.net. I provided everything legit ( same I did with my current shared account with a long list of providers). I made 2 mistakes (while signing up and now they put me into trouble) :

1- Even though I was at my friends house I provided my house phone and my mom answered the phone ( her memory is not good and was not ready to recall anything as she was frustrated due to a previous phone commercial) so I could not get the PIN number.

2- I did not disconnect my OpenVPN client while signing up ( I like it as it provides me more security when working ). The fact is that the box which handles my VPN server is from NYC and I am in Latam ( I entered my Latam details but my IP was from NYC due to the VPN).

I think that was what got MaxMind' s attention ( I paid vaserv for almost a year without a glitch with paypal and the same customer details).

Mods from here can check that my IP's while posting vary ( when I use the VPN I have 67.xxxxx and when I am without it I usually have the 190.xxxxxxxxxxxx.

The fact is that they now ask me for a utility bill , and it has to be payed by paypal.
    Why would I pay a utility bill if I live outside the US?

I am willing to have the service itself to be at my name but my friend is paying ( the only suspicious thing). I can even take a picture of my passport , hand write the word webhostingtalk in a paper close to it and have laptop displaying the front page from cnn.com ( as proof of being taken now).

I try to be as honest as possible but it seems that doing things ok are not easily doable.

Hope you can understand my frustration as I am trying to do stuff as neat as possible.

Best Regards

J

Its unfortunate to hear about the issues your facing and what did they say about providing a passport?

Thanks for sharing emotions dude .
    As a proof of identity. I can take a picture of my country's document together with mugshot aside :p.

What frustrates me most is that stuff in the US has been hassle free for me ( of course I know the law and I obey it). Services and most stuff ( good ones or even mid ones) tend to have less to worry about and can be made with less risk than locally and at much more affordable and reliable costs.

I certainly can avoid being pissed off by Maxmind but I want it the straight way. I know that my money does not mean a thing to burst.net ( even when paying a whole year upfront as I am) but I would like a doable solution/ as hassle free as possible. Can you guys think about anything? Ive already told this situation via email : Invoice #233622 & http://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifBurstNET™ <sales@burst.net> can become handy if they happen by chance to walk by and are willing to help.
    Sales (email) is a tad slow for such a big company.

Thanks guys

EDIT:@Matt - HostPenguin: I have missed to answer part of your post . IIRC Ive not proposed the mugshot with the passport or identity document ( as said before they take a while to reply)
    Last edited by elvis1; 11-01-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Yea, the sales department does not work on the weekends and they do sometimes respond to urgent request on Saturday. That was about a year ago and things of course might of changed.

I know that my money does not mean a thing to burst.net
    I hope that isn't the mentality of any company. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt - HostPenguin View Post
    Yea, the sales department does not work on the weekends and they do sometimes respond to urgent request on Saturday. That was about a year ago and things of course might of changed.

I hope that isn't the mentality of any company. :-/
    I really appreciate your comments . You are always the nice guy

thanks again

With all the red flags that poped up, any company would do the same I suppose..
    Why would you try and defame this particular one ? If they did not provide you service, try others and better luck next time..

Quote Originally Posted by linuxissues View Post
    With all the red flags that poped up, any company would do the same I suppose..
    Why would you try and defame this particular one ? If they did not provide you service, try others and better luck next time..
    I dont understand your attitude and dont share it either . I only want to get my signing in (with burst.net) solved.

This may be nice to wear for you ( a bit of nerd humor) :

Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    I dont understand your attitude and dont share it either . I only want to get my signing in (with burst.net) solved.

This may be nice to wear for you ( a bit of nerd humor) :

How is this thread going to solve your problem with burst!!

And yes if you sent me one of those real t-shirts, i will wear it. Hopefully that payment of yours will go through ..

Living 15 k km from the provider does not allow me to know every single way of proving identity and saying I am not a scammer or any alternative way to sign in a hassle free way.

got and get it (the shirt).

I'm guessing you still haven't heard back from them yet elvis? Just out of curiosity what is drawing you towards burst? If they don't want your business why not look somewhere else?

Many thanks yet again Matt! I have not heard from the yet again. I need that cheap VPS as:

I am willing to use it as a VPN failover solution ( already have a VPN up and running in a strong way).

what I also like is their monthly BW which I would like to use to help the project majestic12.co.uk as I had been doing for some time now ( I think its a good cause)

Thanks again

Yea, the specs are an eye catcher and i've considered picking one up to try out myself. lol

I wonder if they are going to allow people to resell VPS accounts from them.

If Burst chooses to do business with you they will but if they don't move on. I for one wouldn't take you on as a client after this post.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post

If Burst chooses to do business with you they will but if they don't move on. I for one wouldn't take you on as a client after this post.

I only described my experience. why do you say such a nasty speech when I was nice with the provider ?

@elvis1

I'm not sure that the point about posting here about Burst's flagging your order. You state you only had one suspicious item with your order but in all frankness your order was full of red flags for many hosts.

But that's besides the point. I think I see where Coolraul is coming from (but I don't want to speak for him he's more then capable). Since WHT doesn't make Burst.net policy then by posting about a companies fraud procedures just makes it look like you're trying to pressure BN into accepting your order. Which unless the issues are addressed why would they?

It begs the question as to why not just order with someone else? Plenty of providers out there, at the very least work with BN to see if they can resolve the issues that flagged your order. But the bottom line is that it's their decision as to who they want to provide service to. Nothing anyone here will be able to do about that. I applaud BN for having a strict fraud policy, even if it means that the occasional legit order gets flagged.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyan View Post
    @elvis1

I'm not sure that the point about posting here about Burst's flagging your order. You state you only had one suspicious item with your order but in all frankness your order was full of red flags for many hosts.

But that's besides the point. I think I see where Coolraul is coming from (but I don't want to speak for him he's more then capable). Since WHT doesn't make Burst.net policy then by posting about a companies fraud procedures just makes it look like you're trying to pressure BN into accepting your order. Which unless the issues are addressed why would they?

It begs the question as to why not just order with someone else? Plenty of providers out there, at the very least work with BN to see if they can resolve the issues that flagged your order. But the bottom line is that it's their decision as to who they want to provide service to. Nothing anyone here will be able to do about that. I applaud BN for having a strict fraud policy, even if it means that the occasional legit order gets flagged.
    Comprehensive analysis of post
    My reason for posting is to clarify things up and not only be mitigated by an "intelligent" system like maxmind. I can easily deceive maxmind and get my account activated ( at Burst.net) If I wanted to.

I had been a customer of : virpus, vaserv/fsck ( previously vps empire), dreamhost, whirlhost and godaddy.

They can reject me as they can reject any other. Am I fake/fraudulent or something related? Lets debate about it just as if we had taken a glass of malbec.

How many here would provide their SocialSecurityNumber ? I guess no one. I asked if a picture of my passport with my face close to it would help. What I am asking for is things you as providers would help you determine if a customer is who he says he is. As I live in a different country I cant take the same things from granted as you do with some stuff ( as well as you cant with some stuff that I actually do)

As a side note: user :Matt - HostPenguin got my situation perfectly, which makes me glad. I mean why so much harassment for a mistake that has been explained ? We should clap hands for Maxmind as it has prooved to work of when orders are suspicious, BUT: why dont allow human intervention to clear things up?

why allow a "Community Liaison" to say nasty comments instead of helping?He might have his own business ( and decide what to do with it and accept who ever he wants within his own hosting business). But why can he post mean comments when there is no cruel intentions in my posts?
    Last edited by elvis1; 11-02-2009 at 03:36 PM.

I don't think coolraul was meaning any harm but was just trying to say its the business choice on who to do business with. In regards to not taking you on as a client. I think we all see way to many host bashing threads. I do think your comments are perfectly fine, as your questioning the policy they currently have in place. I think that this post will allow the company to re-examine its current procedures.

Now... Have you by any chance gave them a call? I know Marne is pretty easy to handle with in the billing department and i'm sure she wouldn't mind helping you or to clarify the current policy in place.

@Elvis1

Well said and fair enough!

I don't think coolraul was meaning any harm but was just trying to say its the business choice on who to do business with.

In regards to not taking you on as a client. I think we all see way to many host bashing threads. I do think your comments are perfectly fine, as your questioning the policy they currently have in place. I think that this post will allow the company to re-examine its current procedures.
    I appreciate your input. But every owner can decide who to do business with. You can be pro active while screening fraud which BTW says the company is serious. You can be uninterested which does not talk any good . What I am asking is : a way/method of getting help to have myself explained. I am not Shakespeare but I am not a monkey either. I can explain in plain English ( and did it BTW) what has happened.

As a side note: I work for poor people in a hospital ( amongst other activities) and I dont ( and cant) choose who I can work with. I cant condemn them for a mistake or a miss interpretation to make them go home with no treatment. Even though it is not related, I wanted to let you know that being mean and nasty is the easiest procedure.

Now... Have you by any chance gave them a call? I know Marne is pretty easy to handle with in the billing department and i'm sure she wouldn't mind helping you or to clarify the current policy in place.
    Nope, but I am actually in touch with her via email. I did not even know Marne was a women's name ( we have different names here). I will write (bare hand) the form that I 've already printed . I hope my aspiring doc (MDoctor )typography does not interfere with the proper reading

Thanks matt!!

PS: one of my complications come when having to show receipts of utility bills being payed ( using paypal). To pay services we dont use paypal.

The other method should be providing a copy of the credit card ( I only use debit card, so this is not an option)
    Last edited by elvis1; 11-02-2009 at 06:38 PM.

UPDATE: provided the requested documents and after doing the payment and getting my account activated, I get:

BurstNET: Final Overdue Invoice Notice

As far as Ive tested their network works great but they must organize sales/billing and so on as I am afraid they can cancel my account (I;ve already emailed them) from time to time this way and I have just started deploying my stuff

Just to note:

If you pay the invoice your server will be fine.

I payed ( a year upfront) , you processed the order, and paypal took the amount of money from me

your post is quite a relief for me . I should not worry of this then,right? Can customers resell the VPS's?

thanks

Perhaps the lesson I would have learned from your experience is, sign up from your own computer and have your telephone nearby for the verification call. As far as becoming a reseller, looks like a good deal "imho"...

According to the website,
    BurstNET™ offers a flat 25% discount on all resold services. The 25% discount is applicable to setup and monthy fees. You may resale [sic] all BurstNET™ product lines, including BurstNET™ and NOCSTER™. Regular, 10MBPS, Closeout, Unmetered, & Sale servers are all eligible for the discount! You can also receive a discount on co-location, backup service, virtual private servers (vps), spam/virus protection, reseller packages, and virtual hosting!
    You do need to apply and be approved for reseller status which can be revoked at any time (presumably for reseller misconduct), and you don't get discounts on services that you use, yourself. You can support your clients or have Burst/Nocster do it. You can offer your products as Burst/Nocster or as private label. I think theirs is one of the most liberal reseller policies of any of the big hosting companies, and right now their prices are looking pretty decent.
    Last edited by wakalapi; 11-06-2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: grammar remark in quote

Quote Originally Posted by wakalapi View Post
    Perhaps the lesson I would have learned from your experience is, sign up from your own computer and have your telephone nearby for the verification call. As far as becoming a reseller, looks like a good deal "imho"...
    Yeah, and being American helps . I mean : in case of any issue you can call them instantly (and explain everything) and not type a ticket.

According to the website,

Quote Originally Posted by wakalapi View Post

You do need to apply and be approved for reseller status which can be revoked at any time (presumably for reseller misconduct), and you don't get discounts on services that you use, yourself. You can support your clients or have Burst/Nocster do it. You can offer your products as Burst/Nocster or as private label. I think theirs is one of the most liberal reseller policies of any of the big hosting companies, and right now their prices are looking pretty decent.
    I will read this more thoroughly. BUT: why suspend reseller account due to misconduct of a client? their prices are sweet. the 25 % only for reseller purposes is fine IMHO and concerning their support: I would wait someone testing their support before being the first one .

Are there any other locations available for VPS apart from Scranton? Would a hack like vaserve's wipe all their data in the different places they ve got their gear or can burst.net isolate an attack like this one?

I am asking this in order to decide what strategy to apply

Keep punching burst.net
    Last edited by elvis1; 11-06-2009 at 11:52 AM.

The misconduct of a client would simply result in the suspension of that server.

Reseller misconduct usually applies only to not following the rules (I.E. you sell an the same server to more than one person, you use the server for yourself, you don't pay the bills, etc..)

As far as the attack question, Could you rephrase it? I'm not exactly sure what you're asking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast