VPS & Digg Effect

Which VPS package would I need from Host Gator to survive a front page Digg? http://www.hostgator.com/vps-hosting/

Would a level 3 work?

Running wordpress with the wp-super cache plugin.

A front page digg can bring down a dedicated server. A VPS will go down even faster...
    Sphere Web Hosting, LLC.
    █ Experience our Contagious Support™ and 100% Uptime SLA
    We don't just provide support, we care about your success - it's just the way we do things!
    █ Make your life a little easier and visit http://www.spherewebhosting.com

True! Perhaps something like MediaTemple (http://mediatemple.net/) will work for you.

You might also want to consider using some of Amazon's cloud resources to serve up images, and even do database queries.
    PHP Link Directory Script
    My First Profitable Web App
    I am David DuVal

What are your plans for the VPS? Wordpress? Hosting a single image? It depends on what kind of content and how "heavy" the content would be that was posted to the front page of Digg.

Please reply with more information.
    =>Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    You might also want to consider using some of Amazon's cloud resources to serve up images, and even do database queries.
    I've heard about this, but it seems confusing to me. Can you use it with a VPS? Put the site on a VPS and the database on Amazon I guess?

I have a guy that takes care of most of the backend stuff for me, although I've started to learn a little bit here and there.

I know there are a few wordpress plugins for the amazon cloud services.

Quote Originally Posted by JABacchetta View Post
    I've heard about this, but it seems confusing to me. Can you use it with a VPS? Put the site on a VPS and the database on Amazon I guess?

I have a guy that takes care of most of the backend stuff for me, although I've started to learn a little bit here and there.

I know there are a few wordpress plugins for the amazon cloud services.
    Yes, exactly. You need your programmer to go in and figure it out, but certainly it is doable. You'll still pay for increased resource uses at Amazon, but you will be much more scalable.
    PHP Link Directory Script
    My First Profitable Web App
    I am David DuVal

Just my 2C:

Also design for a light and usable website. Keep large images down and make use of caching plugins for Wordpress (wp-cache) and possibly php OpCode cachers like eAccelerator and XCache.
    =>Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

Should I be looking at ec2 or s3? What sort of budget should I set aside for such a service? The pricing model means nothing to me. I have no clue what "standard" or "high-memory reserved instances" are.

If it helps, I'm looking to launch a men's online magazine on wordpress (with wp-super cache installed). Content will mainly be 400-600 word articles.

Quote Originally Posted by SphereWebHosting View Post
    A front page digg can bring down a dedicated server. A VPS will go down even faster...
    Depends on what kind of server it is. If it is a very beefy server, I think it can sustain, for a while...

Also just saw something called Amazon SimpleDB. Have no clue what the difference between all these services is.

People say that the limitation to a VPS is the disk i/o. So, if my database is on Amazon, the disk i/o doesn't really matter?

/clueless

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopFreak View Post
    Depends on what kind of server it is. If it is a very beefy server, I think it can sustain, for a while...
    The resources that Host Gator is offering on their new VPS plans are pretty impressive (from what I know anyway). 1.3 gb DDR3 ram, 1.98ghz cpu, and SAS disks for only $70 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by JABacchetta View Post
    The resources that Host Gator is offering on their new VPS plans are pretty impressive (from what I know anyway). 1.3 gb DDR3 ram, 1.98ghz cpu, and SAS disks for only $70 a month.
    It will still be unable to handle digg.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmoNet View Post
    Just my 2C:

Also design for a light and usable website. Keep large images down and make use of caching plugins for Wordpress (wp-cache) and possibly php OpCode cachers like eAccelerator and XCache.
    I think the above is a must, although sometimes caching is annoying it can save on servers becoming overloaded hosts going pooty stating you are using to much of server resources and might even make the site load quicker for normal visitors.
    Kind Regards
    Christopher Smith

This attitude is interesting, considering that there are plenty of high profile sites on Digg and Reddit every single day that are on a VPS, even a low end one, that prove this statement wrong.

How can you make such a statement?

Most issues are not the server themselves but the application being badly written or simply not being designed to handle high traffic loads. Caching will reduce the amount of server resources required several times over and it's plain wrong to say that a VPS cannot handle traffic.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

Not using Apache would help too. Try installing Lighttpd or Nginx as they will cope with the load better

Wow! I really did not notice Hostgator started offering VPS so VPS.NET-like style. I would clearly go for Amazon Cloud Hosting, or any others (: (pay-as-you-go).
    Ian Lai - www.fyianlai.com
    Web Design & Development
    System Operator & Administrator

Depending on the Digg Effect at the time, I mean you cannot class a Digg Effect at say 1000 hits it could be anywhere from 1000 to 30,000+ hits at any given time so in essence it will vary to what service you have to how well it will cope with the Digg.

It comes down to CPU/Ram and other usages to determine whether or not a certain Service/Server could handle it, You also need to add what is on your site, Audio, Video, Images, Text etc and I suppose those would determine the factor of the impact of the digg
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Quote Originally Posted by MrSaints View Post
    Wow! I really did not notice Hostgator started offering VPS so VPS.NET-like style.
    They did not! They only made a carbon copy of our order forms, thats it. Hostgator has nothing in common with VPS.NET. They run single server VPS servers based on legacy virtuozzo like any other host here on WHT.
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

I disagree about front page digg resulting in a crashed server... Can anyone provide any actual metrics for campaign that reached the front page of digg? (doubt it) but it would help to decide how much bandwidth and processing power to allocate to something like this.

Well, the front page of Digg can definitely bring down a crappy server or hosting service for that matter.

I work with many who actually get on the front page of Digg with their sites and most of them are on a VPS. I will also be launching some sites that will be heavily promoted on Digg and they will be on a VPS as well.

As long as the setup is high quality, a VPS can handle a website getting FP's.

Also, the bandwidth and network speed plays a major part, it's smart to go with 100 mbps in the beginning and a good amount of bandwidth allotment. Always better safer than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by dyna! View Post
    This attitude is interesting, considering that there are plenty of high profile sites on Digg and Reddit every single day that are on a VPS, even a low end one, that prove this statement wrong.
    Can you clarify which sites you are speaking of?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramprage View Post
    Can you clarify which sites you are speaking of?
    Take your pick:
    http://www.slicehost.com/articles/20...s-slicehosters
    http://forum.slicehost.com/comments....nID=752#Item_8
    http://forum.slicehost.com/comments....cussionID=2719
    http://forum.slicehost.com/comments....scussionID=945
    http://forum.slicehost.com/comments....ID=752#Item_10

There's more. I'm posting SliceHost only, because I'm actually use their service and have been for more than 2 years. So once again, I find the VPS/digg comments rather amusing, yes, it sometimes takes a bit of tuning, depending on your site, but it's not impossible, and it's not even improbable.