Review Design & Functionality

Hi, I'm looking for an all around review (design, usefulness, functionality, etc) of a site I'm considering launching soon:

http://www.bscript.com/charitytunes

... also looking for some advice about the name of the site. "CharityTunes" was just a placeholder at first but I may use it if I can't think of anything better.

Note: The site is not completed yet.

Hey Cmafai,

I'm going to be blunt and possibly painfully honest, however I'm sure you'll appreciate it in the end:

Colors: Love them, honestly I do. I enjoy how you can change colors too: but put purpose behind the colors. Add a seventh, make a color of the day type thing where the color coordinates to the day of the week or something.

Background: Tone it down a bit or change it; it adds a nice feel but has too much going on when the focus is the search box and content.

Navigation: Love the navigation, however the text seems 1px to 2px too high in the box on hover. Also not sure I like the "current state" (Home) background the same as the hover in this case. Maybe some light radial gradient perhaps?

Search box: What's with the "1"? If it is necessary: shrink it and make it vertically and horizontally centered in its container. The text in the search box needs to be smaller (or the box needs to be bigger). Some padding in the search box won't hurt either. The text in the search box needs to not have "text-transform: uppercase" applied. Especially with songs, capitalization could mean a lot to the end-user.

Search results: Add some padding and separate the entries a bit more. Make the buy button stand out a bit more, especially if that is what you are trying to get the user to do. You don't want to have the user searching and guessing for what your main purpose might be.

Name: It is simple, catchy, and it works. If you can go with it and snatch up domain names for it, then do it. And honestly a company name could be APileOfHorsePoop and no one could care. It is about what you are offering (however a good name never hurts).

Overall: I like the look and feel, and the form meets function. Would love to see it cleaned up and even with more content.

Best,
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Spookster187 View Post
    Colors: Love them, honestly I do. I enjoy how you can change colors too: but put purpose behind the colors. Add a seventh, make a color of the day type thing where the color coordinates to the day of the week or something.
    I like that idea... mostly I added the color changer because I was too indecisive to settle on one. I'll definitely look into something more purposeful.

Background: Tone it down a bit or change it; it adds a nice feel but has too much going on when the focus is the search box and content.
    Agreed, I'll make it more discreet.

Navigation: Love the navigation, however the text seems 1px to 2px too high in the box on hover. Also not sure I like the "current state" (Home) background the same as the hover in this case. Maybe some light radial gradient perhaps?
    I honestly don't mind the current state matching the hover state, but I'll consider changing that too. You're right about it being a pixel too high though, I think.

Search box: What's with the "1"? If it is necessary: shrink it and make it vertically and horizontally centered in its container. The text in the search box needs to be smaller (or the box needs to be bigger). Some padding in the search box won't hurt either. The text in the search box needs to not have "text-transform: uppercase" applied. Especially with songs, capitalization could mean a lot to the end-user.
    The 1 is because it is step one. This is my main concern... it's not clear enough at all what the user is supposed to do (you must select a song and hit "buy" to get to the next step... maybe I should change that button to say "Step 2"?) I think I'll have the other two steps showing from the start, but not "active".

The search doesn't really factor in capitalization in the end I don't think, but I can see how it might annoy some users not being able to control the capitalization. I'll also make the text fit a little more nicely into the input, by lowering the font size or adding some padding.

Search results: Add some padding and separate the entries a bit more. Make the buy button stand out a bit more, especially if that is what you are trying to get the user to do. You don't want to have the user searching and guessing for what your main purpose might be.
    I definitely need to focus on this issue I think. I could even move the "Buy" button out of the search results and put it somewhere down by the page controls (Previous/Next). I'll throw an extra pixel on top and bottom of each of the results as well.

Name: It is simple, catchy, and it works. If you can go with it and snatch up domain names for it, then do it. And honestly a company name could be APileOfHorsePoop and no one could care. It is about what you are offering (however a good name never hurts).
    I'd go with it now if charitytunes.com wasn't taken... I think it'll primarily be a .org site, but I'd love to have the equivalent .com as well.

Anyways, thank you so much for all the advice it really does help and you are right on with pretty much every critique. This'll definitely be useful.
    Last edited by Cmafai; 10-31-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Updated it to include some of Spook's suggestions. Still have some things to fix, and still looking for more critiques.

P.S. - I know it looks like poop in IE, I'm planning on doing all the IE hacking last after I nail down the CSS for the other browsers.

Hey Cmafai,

I like the lay out of the site and I think the navigation is straight forward and to the point, I like that about what you've got going on. I enjoy the color changing option, though find it unnecessary. When I come across sites with this feature I'll generally play with it a couple times and usually just leave the site. It's an interesting feature that folks put on their site, but doesn't do much of anything for me personally. Like the way the background looks actually quite a bit. The grey and black balance out nicely with the color in the text and menu bar. It doesn't seem to busy for me.

Content wise, I'm into the simplicity of what you've got going on.

I think the name is perfect for what you're doing- I wouldn't change a thing about that.

All in all, I'd say you've got a good jumping off point.

Thanks for the review

Unfortunately I recently noticed that the url www.charitytunes.com is actually a site offering a similar service, so I might have to talk to the about potentially purchasing the domain from them, or choose a different name.