Hosting my company website

Is it better to host my company website and WHMCS on a different server/in a different data centre than where my clients sites are hosted?

If I did this, presumably, I could still use WHMCS with the client servers but also, if they went down, my support system would still run.

At least a private Server or VPS, in a different DC is also not a bad idea. But never on the same box as your clients ever.

Not just from a down standpoint, but keeping your clients data safe/secure/separate is priority #1

I wouldn't suggest hosting it in another datacenter. You wouldn't be saying much about your service.

We always try to host our company e-mail and sites on the same c-blocks as our clients so that we can quickly notice any blacklisting that may happen from the result of client.

Hosting your sites on another network would say to your clients that the network they are being sold service on isn't worthy.
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
    HostKitty Internet Services

Quote Originally Posted by woods01 View Post
    I wouldn't suggest hosting it in another datacenter. You wouldn't be saying much about your service.

We always try to host our company e-mail and sites on the same c-blocks as our clients so that we can quickly notice any blacklisting that may happen from the result of client.

Hosting your sites on another network would say to your clients that the network they are being sold service on isn't worthy.

Thanks for your comments, however I find these interesting.

What if your clients sites go down and they need to contact you for support? How can they do that if your sites/services are on the same server/datacentre and the whole lot goes down?

its not likely a whole data centre will go down, i have got 3 reseller accounts and host 50 sites on each account which are all on different boxes so if one reseller account goes down a 2/3 of my sites will still be up.
    #-HostingClick.co.uk

I used to host my billing/company site along with my clients' sites and other services. To be honest, in my honest opinion, you should not do this. Clearly its an advantage hosting your billing/company site elsewhere as for one, like you said, if your server goes down, your support system will still be alive to inform everyone. Yet again, its good to have a backup website system in case of anything. In my case, I bought a cheap VPS optimized for one website and hosted my billing/company site on it. If you are able to get a VPS/Dedicated Server from yourself, then do so. And sorry to be vague, but in terms of security + performance, its a benefit.
    Besides, as a customer it would be nice having a white label service disallowing normal people to reverse IP/DNS the website and finding a list of domains hosted on the same server.
    Last edited by MrSaints; 11-01-2009 at 12:26 PM.
    Ian Lai - www.fyianlai.com
    Web Design & Development
    System Operator & Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MrSaints View Post
    I used to host my billing/company site along with my clients' sites and other services. To be honest, in my honest opinion, you should not do this. Clearly its an advantage hosting your billing/company site elsewhere as for one, like you said, if your server goes down, your support system will still be alive to inform everyone. Yet again, its good to have a backup website system in case of anything. In my case, I bought a cheap VPS optimized for one website and hosted my billing/company site on it. If you are able to get a VPS/Dedicated Server from yourself, then do so.
    I agree with you.

You should keep your site, especially billing and support, seperate from your clients server. Think of this - if you main server goes down and your site is on it, how are your clients going to contact your support team? - There not, so its always wise to keep at least your billing and support system seperate.

Another option is if your site and billing system is database driven to have a seperate database server
    Follow me on Twitter: @conrjac

Ok, would it be possible to run WHMCS on a shared hosting account or would I need a VPS?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by citycm View Post
    Ok, would it be possible to run WHMCS on a shared hosting account or would I need a VPS?

Cheers
    I don't see any reason why WHMCS wouldn't run on a shared account.
    MK Hosting - Reliable Affordable UK Hosting Since 2005
    www.mkhosting.co.uk
    Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - Dedicated Servers - VPS - Colocation - IT Services

WHMCS will run on a shared account no prob........

here is my two words

if you are using another host to run your whmcs/company website then your service is not reliable.

It doesn't really matter. Only if you have alot of clients then i would recommend a private server (intel atom) so your main site doesn't lag your clients

IMO sooner or later even the best DCs will probably have a bit of downtime, I don't care how many redundent systems they have.

Why not use failover DNS (with a very short TTL) and host where your customers will be? In the "unlikely" event you have some downtime at least most of your customers will be able to get to your temporary site within 5-10 minutes.

Regards,
    Jerret

You need to keep it private for your client
    It's more safe

Quote Originally Posted by iloveunicorns View Post
    here is my two words

if you are using another host to run your whmcs/company website then your service is not reliable.
    I don't really agree with this point. I think it's about ensuring I can still offer the best customer support possible even when their are problems.

Of course, from a money perspective, it would be far cheaper for me to run my website and support/billing from the same server as my clients websites, but if that server ever failed, my customers have no way of contacting me.

That's the only reason I'm looking at other options.

Its a great idea to run them on a different box, even better if you can run them at another data centre.
    Just make sure that you don't go for the cheap option or it could make your good services look not so good.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -

Ok, so I've pretty much decided that I'd be better off hosting my company site on a different server somewhere. Whether it be in a different datacentre or not, I don't think makes much difference, however, if I'm going to do this, a different data centre may be worth it.

What would you recommend for bandwidth, etc?

Sounds like this is a new website, otherwise you would probably know how much bandwidth you're currently using?

If it's new then I wouldn't worry about it out of the gate, just get something from a decent provider where you can get a static IP. I would also require that you can change the RDNS setting for that static IP to make it look more professional.

Personally, I would prefer a VPS so you can run any custom software you need on it and I would use a known name like Knownhost, JaguarPC, etc. Check out the VPS offers, there's a ton and then do some research on those providers.

Cheers,
    Jerret

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeDesign View Post
    Sounds like this is a new website, otherwise you would probably know how much bandwidth you're currently using?

If it's new then I wouldn't worry about it out of the gate, just get something from a decent provider where you can get a static IP. I would also require that you can change the RDNS setting for that static IP to make it look more professional.

Personally, I would prefer a VPS so you can run any custom software you need on it and I would use a known name like Knownhost, JaguarPC, etc. Check out the VPS offers, there's a ton and then do some research on those providers.

Cheers,
    Jerret
    Sorry, what do you mean change the Reverse DNS?

If I were to host my company site and billing system with another host, would it make any difference whether that host is in the UK or US?

A friendly RDNS may mitigate the concern about hosting outside your own server. Obviously you can figure out where the site really is hosted but I think "offsite.myhostingcompany.com" looks better than something like "srv184123.godaddy.com" (nothing against godaddy here).

I would pick a host that has similar routes and is roughly "a state" away. Some customers may base their decision on hosting with you based on how your website performs so it would stink to buy a plan with you based on your UK's site performance and then find out their account is actually hosted in the US. Depending on the website it may make a big difference.

Regards,
    Jerret

In my opinion, I would prefer to host my company website/billing/and support system off another node. If your client's server is experiencing downtime, your billing and support system remains in function.

In terms of resources, your company website/billing/and support system would have all the resources for its own off another node, and your clients would have 1 less of site to worry about sharing the resources due to billing and support system are database driven.
    Reviews and Articles of Clouds & VPS Hosting Services within Asia and Oceania Region - https://www.cloudspace.my

Quote Originally Posted by citycm View Post
    Ok, so I've pretty much decided that I'd be better off hosting my company site on a different server somewhere. Whether it be in a different datacentre or not, I don't think makes much difference, however, if I'm going to do this, a different data centre may be worth it.

What would you recommend for bandwidth, etc?
    Previously when I first started out, I just bought a shared hosting plan from another company (which was really really reliable), but after a while, I switched to hosting it on a dedicated server (after a VPS). Clearly, its up to you how you want to go about doing this. In terms of hard disk, you really do not need much if its for a static business website and dynamic billing site (E.g. WHMCS). In terms of Bandwidth, you need to analyze this yourself and determine the "UPPER BOUND" of traffic per day. Then multiply it by 30 days and determine how much you require.

In most cases it would also be a good idea to utilize services such as "Facebook Pages" and "Twitter" for a platform for client to refer to.
    Ian Lai - www.fyianlai.com
    Web Design & Development
    System Operator & Administrator

Our main site and billing/support runs on a seperate VPS to all our clients. In my opinion, it is crazy to host your corporate site on the same server as your clients. The node that we run our main site's VPS on is only used by the admin team as we do not want to put it under risk at all.
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk