Thread: Confused on tax

Confused on tax

I have been reading so much stuff about tax with a online store and I dont know were to start. I was wondering if someone could tell me how tax worked with a online store or point me in the right direction. The company is registered in Illinois if that helps.

I'm not a 100% sure, but i think the tax depends on the state that your selling to. If your shipping an item to Arizona or California, you would have to charge their local sales tax of the state that you are shipping to.

No, unless it has changed, if you ship an item to your own state, you charge sales tax, if you ship to another state then you are fine. They have been trying to change this for years, but I do not think it has been done yet.

I ran into this problem years ago(and annoyed me). I bought a server in Indiana, no sales charged. But I decided to pick it up since it was about a 45 min drive to save on shipping(big Proliant server) I get to the shop and as you can guess, he had to add on the sales tax. Killed the trip completely.
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Quote Originally Posted by davidb View Post
    No, unless it has changed, if you ship an item to your own state, you charge sales tax, if you ship to another state then you are fine. They have been trying to change this for years, but I do not think it has been done yet.

I ran into this problem years ago(and annoyed me). I bought a server in Indiana, no sales charged. But I decided to pick it up since it was about a 45 min drive to save on shipping(big Proliant server) I get to the shop and as you can guess, he had to add on the sales tax. Killed the trip completely.

Ok thanks allot i will look into that more and find out for sure.

Miva Merchant recently partnered with AccurateTax.com so that if you are running a Miva Merchant store, you can use the AccurateTax plugin, which will figure out all tax issues for you... pretty cool..
    Forrest Yingling -- WebNet Hosting LLC
    Leading ECommerce Hosting, ZenCart Hosting, PrestaShop Hosting and OSCommerce Hosting provider since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestY View Post
    Miva Merchant recently partnered with AccurateTax.com so that if you are running a Miva Merchant store, you can use the AccurateTax plugin, which will figure out all tax issues for you... pretty cool..
    Ok thanks ill check them out.