Is this CPU better then a VPS?.

I know the title is kind of.. well, not exactly how it should be. But I need to know if a AMD Athlon X2 6000+ clocked at 3.0Ghz is a better choice for a web hosting business then a VPS.

Silly question I suppose, but we're considering colocating over renting VPS servers and I was just throwing it out there. Would that CPU be able to handle any sort of traffic/hits or would it max out with only 10-20 sites?. Thanks!.

depends on the number of visitors to each site. Most new dedicated servers will have dual core CPU's and should offe rmore than enough CPU. Bottlenecks will probably be else where.

Depending on the cost and how you what to scale out you could also consider multiple VPS machines, that would give you the potential to loadbalance and failover (depending the site content) for the same price as a dedicated server

Quote Originally Posted by VMhosts View Post
    depends on the number of visitors to each site. Most new dedicated servers will have dual core CPU's and should offe rmore than enough CPU. Bottlenecks will probably be else where.

Depending on the cost and how you what to scale out you could also consider multiple VPS machines, that would give you the potential to loadbalance and failover (depending the site content) for the same price as a dedicated server
    I totally agree with this.

Regards.

Again, let me state what I am asking:

Will that CPU be able to handle more then a VPS. Specifically a VPS on a AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor.

I was not asking about dedicated servers.

Quote Originally Posted by thezombiehunter View Post
    Will that CPU be able to handle more then a VPS. Specifically a VPS on a AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor.
    Depends on the number of VPS and usage of those VPS runnin on the quad-core processor.

It is a different story if there is 1 VPS or 1000 VPS running on the host.

Any quad-core dedicated server CPU will outperform a single VPS. A single VPS is a fraction of the main hosting node CPU...

I don't see a reason to "load balance" a couple VPS's unless you're running a business critical application - which you haven't mentioned. The time to setup and manage that cluster would be wasted resources if you can simply grab a dedicated server.

What you need to look at is also management. With a VPS (like OpenVZ) you do not have to do kernel upgrades. Also many come managed meaning the hosting provider takes care of security updates for you, saving you time/money. With a dedicated server that's coloed, you're all on your own unless you hire a management company.

Either way you'll need your own backups.

As said depends on the contention ratio on the physical host. From experience it won't be the cpu that max out in terms of MHz. It will be the CPU ready time if there are hundreds of vps on a single host