Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

2 28.57%
  • no

5 71.43%

Thread: eBay scam

eBay scam

I would like everyones views on a scam run by eBay.

they have now decided after consulting with their users (lie) on some catagories that sellers HAVE to offer free postage, even though it costs seller to post the items to buyers.
    the only winners is eBay in their FVF fees.
    i sell items at £10 + £1.95 postage, this cost me a FVF of 95p + 61p to paypal per item sold, now because i have to add the postage to the item cost my FVF has gone up to £1.17 per item sold I can guess that the paypal fee will also increase.
    so great scam run by ebay although it is ILLEGAL for them to force any seller to offer free postage, which they cant grasp as eBay are under the impression that they are above any law.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by easyhost1 View Post
    sellers HAVE to offer free postage, even though it costs seller to post the items to buyers.
    because i have to add the postage to the item cost
    There's your answer.
    which they cant grasp as eBay are under the impression that they are above any law.
    Looks to me like they are setting the terms of use for this particular situation, which is their right as the provider. You're free not to use it if the conditions aren't to your liking, aren't you? Nothing to do with the law...
    Your one stop shop for decentralization
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    There's your answer.

Looks to me like they are setting the terms of use for this particular situation, which is their right as the provider. You're free not to use it if the conditions aren't to your liking, aren't you? Nothing to do with the law...
    UK trading laws (checked with trading standards) an auction site or any 3rd party sites cannot force any seller to give free postage if a seller has to pay postage to sent an item to a buyer. they can give you the option to offer free postage but cannot demand that this is your main postage option.

both royal mail and trading standards are going to contact ebay on this matter.

due to this eBay charge sellers more in FVF fees, so this is the only reason eBay are doing this, so they can take more money from genuine sellers.
      0 Not allowed!

I've given up on eBay, I was trying to get rid of a few bits and bobs that were lying around the house total value was about £100-150, ended up paying around £15-20 in fees and then there was PayPal fees also.

The problem is, eBay don't really have any competition anymore!
      0 Not allowed!

Stupid fees.
    Holding onto payments.
    Now Royal Mail delays.
    I've lodged several 'non-receipt' disputes and complaints over the past couple of months - eBay really is not worth the hassle anymore.
      0 Not allowed!

UK trading laws (checked with trading standards) an auction site or any 3rd party sites cannot force any seller to give free postage if a seller has to pay postage to sent an item to a buyer.
    Please show this law? I can't seem to find any links that state this.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization
      0 Not allowed!

Use amazon or newegg instead if you live in the U.S. Not sure if they ship internationally.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Please show this law? I can't seem to find any links that state this.
    I spoke to trading standards about this and have an emailed response. both trading standards and royal mail in the UK are going to confront ebay in relation to this.

ebays payment arm paypal had their registration with the FSA removed because of their lack in following trading laws.
      0 Not allowed!

I spoke to trading standards about this and have an emailed response. both trading standards and royal mail in the UK are going to confront ebay in relation to this.

ebays payment arm paypal had their registration with the FSA removed because of their lack in following trading laws.
    Sooo, post the e-mail and prove your point. I couldn't find anything even close to this as well.

I don't get what the hub-bub is all about. If you don't like their terms, go somewhere else. That's how a free market works.
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sirius View Post
    Sooo, post the e-mail and prove your point. I couldn't find anything even close to this as well.

I don't get what the hub-bub is all about. If you don't like their terms, go somewhere else. That's how a free market works.
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: 'T****'
    Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:19 AM
    Subject: RE: Terms and conditions
    Dear Mr Robertson,
    Thank you for your enquiry.
    I have in the past dealt with complaints about E Bays policies. The bottom line is E bay is a facility which you choose to use but the way they are forcing sellers to give free postage when a seller is charged by a postal service is in breach of several trading laws, especially if it is a way for eBay to get more money from sellers. Having done a quick internet search i can see others are also disgruntled about Ebays new policy citing it as a money making plan for E bay. We will be contacting eBay on this matter and if they refuse to do anything then we can prevent them from operating within the UK or Ireland. In the meantime you could use other vehicles to sell your DVD's such as Amazon or Play.com etc.
    Kind regards,

Public Protection Service
    Northumberland County Council
    Telephone:
    Email:
      0 Not allowed!

Northumberland County Council aren't trading standards, they're the council. The Trading Standards is a department within the govt. They also can't force an organisation to stop trading without the approval of a court.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RH-Scott View Post
    Northumberland County Council aren't trading standards, they're the council. The Trading Standards is a department within the govt. They also can't force an organisation to stop trading without the approval of a court.
    Public Protection Service is our local Trading Standards department, which each county council oversee.
    so get your facts straight
    Last edited by easyhost1; 10-31-2009 at 12:00 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Public Protection Service is our local Trading Standards department, which each county council oversee.
    so get your facts straight
    No they aren't get your facts straight. I work with the Trading Standards on a regular basis, it even says on their site that they work alongside the tradining standards department based in Essex.

They help enforce trading standards but they aren't trading standards.
      0 Not allowed!

No they aren't get your facts straight. I work with the Trading Standards on a regular basis, it even says on their site that they work alongside the tradining standards department based in Essex.

They help enforce trading standards but they aren't trading standards.
    I work with trading standards and have worked in consumer affairs for 3 years and yes they do have employed trading standard officers based an Northumberland County Council, who have the power to enforce trading regulations, just like all county councils. if a local store breached trading laws they would not wait for someone from trading standards HQ to sort it out, they have the power to do this themselves, anything major then they just pass the paperwork to HQ who acts on the paperwork recommendations.
      0 Not allowed!

Thats what I just said!

They help enforce trading standards
      0 Not allowed!

Thats what I just said!

[/FONT]
    They have 2 full time Trading Standards Officers paid by Trading Standards and not the council, with a support team of council paid staff.

So they have all the powers of Trading Standards and can and do enforce trading regulations.
    Trading Standards and the Royal Mail are going to talk to eBay about this policy, which they cannot force anyone selling to give free postage, especuially if its just so they can get more moeny from sellers, which this is clearly the case.
      0 Not allowed!