DNS and which IP addresses to use...

Hello

I have a server with one main IP and 8 additional IPs.

The server is to run one website only. The domain is with 1&1. Is the following right:

Supposing I have IP addresses: 1.1.1.1 - 1.1.1.8, 2.2.2.2

In 1&1:
    create two subdomains: ns1.domain.com and ns1.domain.com.
    Give NS1 an A record to 1.1.1.1
    NS2 an A record to 1.1.1.2
    Update the nameservers of domain.com to ns1.domain.com and ns1.domain.com

On the server:
    make domain.com have IP of 2.2.2.2
    In plesk, it automatically creates a record for mail.domain.com - should I assign this to 1.1.1.3?
    Should I then set up a PTR record for 1.1.1.3 to mail.domain.com?
    Should a PTR be set up for 2.2.2.2 to domain.com?

Any help would be appriciated. Basically I have 9 IPs in total, want the website on a dedicated, and will need nameservers and the mail server, etc.

Thanks in advance!!!

anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone know DNS?

Anyone have any ideas even where I can post this?

what is the main IP of the server? can you set example.com website AND its mail to use the main IP?
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

Quote Originally Posted by psmith98752 View Post
    Hello

Supposing I have IP addresses: 1.1.1.1 - 1.1.1.8, 2.2.2.2

In 1&1:
    create two subdomains: ns1.domain.com and ns1.domain.com.
    Give NS1 an A record to 1.1.1.1
    NS2 an A record to 1.1.1.2
    Update the nameservers of domain.com to ns1.domain.com and ns1.domain.com

On the server:
    make domain.com have IP of 2.2.2.2
    In plesk, it automatically creates a record for mail.domain.com - should I assign this to 1.1.1.3?
    Should I then set up a PTR record for 1.1.1.3 to mail.domain.com?
    Should a PTR be set up for 2.2.2.2 to domain.com?
    Assuming that 1&1 is your domain's registrar and that by subdomain you meant creating custom name servers (in other words creating child name servers), you are doing it right.

However, make sure you added 2 A records for ns1 and ns2 in the DNS zone on the server too.

As far as I know, Plesk creates only 1 NS record by default and that is known as ns.<domain>, so you need to add the NS records (your way) too.

Just to summarize, the following is what your DNS zone should probably look like.

<domain>. IN NS ns1.<domain>.
    <domain>. IN NS ns2.<domain>.
    <domain>. IN A 2.2.2.2
    <domain>. IN MX 0 mail.<domain>.
    mail IN A 1.1.1.3
    ftp IN A 2.2.2.2
    www IN A 2.2.2.2
    ns1 IN A 1.1.1.1
    ns2 IN A 1.1.1.2
    <domain>. IN TXT "v=spf1 +a +mx -all"

The PTR records need to be set up by the owner of the IP block (that would be your provider).

You need to register the nameservers ns1 and ns2 at 1&1 with the following IP address

ns1.domain.com 1.1.1.1
    ns2.domain.com 1.1.1.2

and update the name servers for domain.com to ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com

And in the server add the A record for domain.com to point to 2.2.2.2, A record for mail.domain.com to point to 1.1.1.3 and add the name servers ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com
    Last edited by samurai7; 11-02-2009 at 09:29 AM.
    Windows/Linux Expert; Plesk/Cpanel/Ensim Guru.
    ..and an expert spam tracker.

Thanks everyone. Yes, its child name servers (or as 1&1 likes to say a 'glue domain'). I suppose it doesnt matter which IP's I use - Gigenet just gave me one main IP then a block of other IPs.

Do you recommend using a different IP address for domain.com and a different one for mail.domain.com?

In 1&1, to create child nameservers you create a 'subdomain'. Now mail.domain.com is a subdomain but I assume this is created on the server by setting up an A record? (mail IN A 1.1.1.3)?

Through Gigenet's panel I can set up PTR records. So should one for 2.2.2.2 be domain.com. And for 1.1.1.3 it should be mail.domain.com.
    Should I set up PTR records for 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2, the ns1 and ns2?

In SmarterMail, it asks for the hostname - I assume this is mail.domain.com?

Domain.com is currently live with another host. So to move domain.com to the new host, do you suggest just adding the child nameservers and updating domain.com to use those nameservers in 1&1 and waiting for it to propagate?

Thanks so much everyone!

Do you recommend using a different IP address for domain.com and a different one for mail.domain.com?
    Not required, but you may want to use the extra IPs.

In 1&1, to create child nameservers you create a 'subdomain'. Now mail.domain.com is a subdomain but I assume this is created on the server by setting up an A record? (mail IN A 1.1.1.3)?
    Through Gigenet's panel I can set up PTR records. So should one for 2.2.2.2 be domain.com. And for 1.1.1.3 it should be mail.domain.com.
    Should I set up PTR records for 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2, the ns1 and ns2?
    In SmarterMail, it asks for the hostname - I assume this is mail.domain.com?
    Yes for all.

Domain.com is currently live with another host. So to move domain.com to the new host, do you suggest just adding the child nameservers and updating domain.com to use those nameservers in 1&1 and waiting for it to propagate?
    please do remember that your domain may resolve at the older host during the period. So some of your visitors and emails may land there during the switch.

Thanks, i've now set the records up in Plesk.

A few questions: when I change 1&1 so that it points to the new nameservers which resolve to say 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2, how does my server know that domain.com exists on that server? As its only the DNS specified for domain.com that actually has the A record for IP 2.2.2.2?

What's the best way for reducing the time for machines to resolve to the new server? Reduce the TTL to X for Y days before the switch?

A few questions: when I change 1&1 so that it points to the new nameservers which resolve to say 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2, how does my server know that domain.com exists on that server? As its only the DNS specified for domain.com that actually has the A record for IP 2.2.2.2?
    Not sure if I understand your question correctly, but let me try to answer anyway:
    The moment you point domain to new name servers (which are on your server), they would be effective almost immediately, however only when DNS queries refer to root for your domain's NS. If DNS records fetched from current name servers were cached by anyone, they will only fetch fresh records after expiry of TTL as per current zone (which is not hosted on ur server).

What's the best way for reducing the time for machines to resolve to the new server? Reduce the TTL to X for Y days before the switch?
    Lower the TTL of the Zone as well as the resource records, wherever its DNS is served from currently. It would be safe to switch after as much time as is the current value of the TTL.

Thanks for answering. By the first question, I was asking how the nameserver knows where domain.com exists? As domain.com resides on 2.2.2.2, but the nameserver is on 1.1.1.1 (albeit on the same server).