Hybrid View

Restoring backups to different hardware

This question pertains to XP desktop computers. When a machine breaks down and software needs to be reinstalled, it is a long and tedious process.

Backups are fine if you are backing up to the same machine. But what about a backup to an entirely different machine?

I downloaded a trial version of Acronis TrueImage 2010 but according to Acronis, you cannot restore to a different machine. I was also told that if I make a clone of the HD and try to insert it into another machine that it will probably not work.

Is there any solution to this? I want to be able to have a backup and either restore to another machine or stick in a clone or backup disk to get up and running right away so there is little down time in my business.

My solution was to only buy AMD mobos and cpus... in the same "family." (I guess you could do this with Intel, but I've not tried it... not saying Intel won't work, I've not tried it...)

For example, all my desktop computers would be Phenoms... all memory would be the same... across different mobos you sometimes have the same chipsets (many times, not always). If a mobo goes out, I buy one similar or maybe the same (at least buy one I can use the same memory).

I've found that I can easily switch between my computers without issue. Well, at most maybe an update to the chipset... small stuff...

I've never attempted to jump over to an intel computer or attempted to jump across families of tech (ex amd Athlon to Phen... or ddr2 to ddr3)... all of that may work as well. I attempt to keep everything near the same, if I can...

In my opinion, I would recommend a new build... I only upgrade like this as a temp solution... or a solution that I know I'll "fix" later.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Seems they added this feature in TI '10... well worth the $30 more...

"Restore to Dissimilar Hardware Restore a computer to dissimilar hardware regardless of make, model, or installed components, or to a virtual machine."

Actually, I like all the virtual machine talk... boot from .tib and it creates the boot files and creates a .vhd...

Nice to build my pc exactly how I need it, backup, and then restore to my laptop.... of course, need to insert license keys, but what a time saver.

Another post here similar... but thought you might be monitoring this one...

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...plus-pack.html

Only bad thing is that sometimes acronis takes a couple of updates before their new versions are stable. At least this has been my experience since version 8...

But the bare metal program has been out for a while in their business software offerings (if I remember correctly).

hekwu, thanks for this. This is just what I have been looking for and it came out just as I wanted it. Must be a great company.