Check and mark bad HD sectors

Loaded Ubuntu 9.10 last night and on first boot it tells me my HD have bad sectors. Which is nice, good reporting from the new Ubuntu edition.

So I kicked off "badblocks -f -v -s /dev/sda" this morning before I took off to work using SystemRescue CD. Came home during lunch and it is still running, looks like it is going to take forever.

This is a 500GB HD, I don't intend to buy a new one. I just want all the bad sectors marked so OS don't ever use them again. Is there a better utility than *nix badblocks?

Thanks!
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

Not really. Badblocks will mark the sectors as bad, but the real issue you face is that if there are any bad sectors outside of the usual "safe" amount of bad sectors which are already handled by the drive itself, you should really discontinue use of the drive completely.

Trust me, you'll only run into more issues in the long run.

Decide if you need your HDD replaced after running test using the 'smartctl' utility. As it is a 500GB one I am 99% sure that it will support SMART.

To install it on ubuntu type apt-get install smartmontools.
    Windows/Linux Expert; Plesk/Cpanel/Ensim Guru.
    ..and an expert spam tracker.

Previously this workstation had a 80GB WD raptor that went south too.

I am starting to think either the SATA connect and/or cable is bad. Thanks for all your advices. Appreciate it!
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.