Exclamation Alexa information not accurate

I check the info from website in Alexa and the numbers that provides are way off from what my stats say, is this normal? How can it be fixed?

Using Alexa to get your website stats is about as accurate as using your horoscope to tell the future. They will predict pageviews/user and such reasonably well, but traffic levels are rarely within an order of a magnitude.

Quote Originally Posted by aeris View Post
    Using Alexa to get your website stats is about as accurate as using your horoscope to tell the future. They will predict pageviews/user and such reasonably well, but traffic levels are rarely within an order of a magnitude.
    Cool, OK I feel much better than.....Thanks for your clarification.

Now let me ask you for stats do you prefer Awstats or Webalizer?:
    Last edited by newspaper; 10-30-2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: miss spell

I like using google stats.

Quote Originally Posted by notmove View Post
    I like using google stats.
    Can you elaborate as to why?

https://www.google.com/analytics Check it out. It really give you an in depth look at your stats... plus its google

Google analytics are great. Webalizer (if installed via your host) is another good one.

For a quick, realtime count a free counter from statcounter.com is great for real time trend tracking.

THanks I will give a try....

i like google stats

Smile

if your site's ranking from alexa is greater than 100 thousand, that is not accurate. on the contrary, the alexa information is trusted.

I always use Google webmaster center and AWStats come with my hosting cPanel for reference.
    Men, women and kids air jordan shoes,
    air jordan fusion shoes shop online.

Quote Originally Posted by besteast View Post
    if your site's ranking from alexa is greater than 100 thousand, that is not accurate. on the contrary, the alexa information is trusted.
    Respectfully I would have to disagree with you, I don't trust it Alexa information.

The thing about Alexa is that based on the ranking number given it does not represent how much traffic that you are getting. Somehow it is still important if you are doing site flipping.

Alexa really do pull numbers from their ass, and I'm thinking they are also easily manipulated because of their reliance on data reported by their browser toolbar, which I assume has a very low install base, not to mention it would skew the numbers towards the preferences of a "certain" crowd. OTOH, I've found Quantcast's numbers to be reasonably (+/- 20%) accurate for my sites, even though they aren't "quantified". Although I guess those could be lucky guesses.

From Alexa

Here is the information from Alexa themselves and here is the link How are Alexa's traffic ranking determined?

How are Alexa's traffic rankings determined?

by alberto » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:02 pm
    Alexa's traffic rankings are based on the usage patterns of Alexa Toolbar users and data collected from other, diverse sources over a rolling 3 month period. A site's ranking is based on a combined measure of reach and pageviews. Reach is determined by the number of unique Alexa users who visit a site on a given day. Pageviews are the total number of Alexa user URL requests for a site. However, multiple requests for the same URL on the same day by the same user are counted as a single pageview. The site with the highest combination of users and pageviews is ranked #1.

Alexa's traffic rankings are for top level domains only (e.g. domain.com). We do not provide separate rankings for subpages within a domain (e.g. http://www.domain.com/subpage.html) or subdomains (e.g. subdomain.domain.com) unless we are able to automatically identify them as personal home pages or blogs, like those hosted on Geocities and Tripod. If a site is identified as a personal home page or blog, its traffic ranking will have an asterisk (*) next to it: Personal Page Avg. Traffic Rank: 3,456*. Personal pages are ranked on the same scale as a regular domain, so a personal page ranked 3,456* is the 3,456th most popular page among Alexa users.

For more detailed information about Alexa's traffic rankings, please visit http://www.alexa.com/help/traffic_learn_more.

Last bumped by alberto on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:02 pm.
    Giving my opinions and thoughts the Moxie Way

I don't trust alexa ranking because they are not accurate. I prefer google stats.
    Easy Website Builder | Build Website Fast and Easy.
    Low Acid Coffee that has the bold flavor you love, but doesn’t give you heartburn or cause stomach problems.

I use Alexa and Google Analytics and generally the two give roughly the same info.
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by newspaper View Post
    Respectfully I would have to disagree with you, I don't trust it Alexa information.
    Though Alexa information is relative, not absolute, it still can reflect the position of your site. I think so.

I don't really see Alexa reliable enough on giving accurate( at least close to reality) information. Google analytics is even better.

are you guys talking about analytics on the site or are you talking about what the website says for public viewing?

These are 2 completely different things.
    Giving my opinions and thoughts the Moxie Way