Thread: Bandwidth limit

Bandwidth limit

I am going to run a VPS as a VPN proxy server and therefore I was asking myself if it is possible to freeze or shut down the VPS before it exceeds it bandwidth limit of 100GB a month?

Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

Hello,

Depends where you have sourced your VPS from, some provider's control panels will suspend your VPS once it reaches the bandwidth limit, where some will charge you for the extra bandwidth.

It would be best to contact your provider and ask them, if they can limit it for you.
    ZXPlay
    Premium Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Media Streaming Servers
    Dedicated Resources | EU Based
    www.zxplay.co.uk

you could use some traffic monitoring software, such as vnstat, however i think it does not support halt on traffic exceeded, but you could implement that yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrac568 View Post
    you could use some traffic monitoring software, such as vnstat, however i think it does not support halt on traffic exceeded, but you could implement that yourself.
    Hey, that's what I was thinking

vnstat is a bandwidth monitoring program that runs as a cronjob every 5 minutes, collecting transfer statistics. It would be pretty easy to write another script that reads vnstat's statistics and, if over a limit, inserts iptables rules to block all access except from your IP address. Then, run that script periodically as a cronjob.

That's something that a VPS provider could set up, i know it can be set to do that in SolusVM, but i haven't heard of a in VPS solution for doing this

You could ask your host to suspend your VPS if you go over your allocated bandwidth. SolusVM has the feature. Although some VPS providers would simply have excess bandwidth fees.

You can use something like PRTG/MRTG to monitor the traffic on your network interfaces.
    Then they can eMail you out when a certain amount is exceeded.
    Unless you own the main server providing the vps, then you can install something like slousvm or veportal.
    - Buying up websites, side-projects and companies - PM Me! -