Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canadian hosting company?

Can anyone recommend a host that can register a .ca domain name? I'd be happiest if it's also a Canada-based company, but it's not essential. I have a small photography website, and would like a host that's inexpensive but reliable, and has just the basic features (mySQL, php, multiple domains, etc).

I was looking at JustHost, but they seem to get dumped on here for their marketing strategies (although I haven't found anyone complain about their service), so if anyone else has a better suggestion I'd love to hear it?

Thanks!

It's usually best to just have your domain registered at a domain registrar and not with your provider in case you ever want to move away from them in the future. You can easily point any domains you have registered to your hosting providers' nameservers and will have the ability to manage your domain without having your hosting providing limiting you.

Registrars like register.com and namecheap.com offers .ca domain registrations.

I have a small photography website, and would like a host that's inexpensive but reliable, and has just the basic features (mySQL, php, multiple domains, etc).
    What sort of Space/Bandwidth are you looking at and what sort of Budget do you have in mind to spend on your venture?

-ATH
    l Dedigeeks • Shared • Wordpress • Dedicated • Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider • Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com • Managing Director • Service Superstars

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    It's usually best to just have your domain registered at a domain registrar and not with your provider in case you ever want to move away from them in the future.
    As I said before and will continue to do this is an unfounded stereotype and there is no reason to keep these things separate as long as your domain is not tied to the life of your account and you remain in full control of it (DNS, whois, etc.)

It really depends if you are looking for a overselling host or a non-overselling host.

Most Canadian hosting companies have their server in the US anyway.
    VimHost >> 30 Days Backup | cPanel + LiteSpeed + JetBackup | DMCA FREE!
    20 Years in business ~ Premium Hosting in Toronto, Canada ~ 151 Front Street (Canadian owned and operated)

As I said before and will continue to do this is an unfounded stereotype and there is no reason to keep these things separate as long as your domain is not tied to the life of your account and you remain in full control of it (DNS, whois, etc.)
    Yes, However, If you chose to Register a Domain with a Webhost and this Webhost suddenly disappears from the face of the Earth, How easy will it be to re-claim your domain without an EPP code?

Does this not sound easier to have it manageable via a Registar then have it tied with your hosting account just incase worse comes to worse?

I'm fairly new to this, so excuse my ignorance. I don't need a whole lot of storage and bandwidth, anything over 100GB & 10GB/mo should be fine. I'm not sure of the difference between overselling or not, but as long as my site's up and running most of the time, the control panel is useful, the email is reliable (I've had bouncing problems with my current host), and costs ~$4 to $5/mo, I'll be happy. I've thought about separating the domain and the host, but it seems like I might get a better deal by going with a host that'll give me a deal on the domain(?).

i use Netearthone for 2 week the best things about them is supper fast support!

p.s. thanks everyone for your quick replies--I appreciate the help!

I've thought about separating the domain and the host, but it seems like I might get a better deal by going with a host that'll give me a deal on the domain(?).
    As a recommendation I would avoid the "Free Domain" or the "Discount Domains" via a Webhost to save the heartache of issues that may arise.

Sorry, I have to agree with IGX because I have read too many flunky reviews on webhosts that disappear and people losing their domains as a result of them purchasing them both at the same place.

Unlimited Bandwidth/Space is not necessarily bad, I personally do not approve but again as long as you read the Terms and Conditions before purchasing you should not have too many issues especially if the Webhost manages their servers adequately to support what they offer

Why that is bad to keep web hosting and doamin name with domain name registrar?
    Because, If the Webhosting Company disappeared and left you without a EPP Code then it will make it quite difficult for you to transfer your domain to a new provider, You can take alternate measures but you are not 100% guaranteed a retrieval of your domain.
    Last edited by Sparrow-Sean; 10-30-2009 at 04:58 AM.

Thanks for the advice Sean. Are there no large, reputable hosts (that could be assumed will be around for a while) that offer this type of host/domain bundle?

Thanks for the advice Sean. Are there no large, reputable hosts (that could be assumed will be around for a while) that offer this type of host/domain bundle?
    If you really want to go with a "Large Webhost" I would recommend Hostgator, I have not read their site so not too sure what they have on offer ... However, You could contact them in regards to what you require and see what they can do for you

Otherwise, I would still recommend splitting both up but this is entirely your choice and I will not force you to make the right or wrong decision in this case.

Are you looking for a specific company that has been around for a while, If so how many years etc?

Because, If the Webhosting Company disappeared and left you without a EPP Code then it will make it quite difficult for you to transfer your domain to a new provider, You can take alternate measures but you are not 100% guaranteed a retrieval of your domain.
    If I get web hosting first and then move the domain name there?
    Would be that ok?

If I get web hosting first and then move the domain name there?
    Would be that ok?
    What would be the point of doing that?
    Why not keep the domain at the Registar you register your domain with

I've looked at Hostgator, and they don't do .ca registrations.

I currently have my domain name (borealisimages.ca) from the same company that hosts my site (iweb). I've been looking around for a new host/registrar as I've had some trouble with inbound emails bouncing, a lot of their documentation/invoices come in french (which I don't speak), and they're a bit pricey. I'd guess that a domain registrar could transfer the domain for me(?) If so, could you recommend one you like? (I notice ATH also doesn't do .ca )

I've looked at Hostgator, and they don't do .ca registrations.

I currently have my domain name (borealisimages.ca) from the same company that hosts my site (iweb). I've been looking around for a new host/registrar as I've had some trouble with inbound emails bouncing, a lot of their documentation/invoices come in french (which I don't speak), and they're a bit pricey. I'd guess that a domain registrar could transfer the domain for me(?) If so, could you recommend one you like? (I notice ATH also doesn't do .ca )
    Before I say too much, Have you contacted your Webhosting Company in regards to the Mail Bouncing issues or the Invoices showing in French?

iWeb has been around for quite a while, I am sure if you talked to them about your issues they would be more than willing to help you out with your issues and this could save you time and money looking for a new webhost that may not be as good as iWeb.

P.S - Unfortunately We Do Not Register .CA Domains

Quote Originally Posted by jmdr View Post
    ... but it seems like I might get a better deal by going with a host that'll give me a deal on the domain(?).
    Generally, at $4 or $5 a month plan, you will not get a break in the domain registration. Usually, you have to either go for a higher end plan or commit to 1 or 2 years prepaid in order to get a discounted or free domain. But even if you get a few bucks off, it ain't worth it. Register your domain directly with a registrar, and then buy hosting from a host. Keep them separate.

It doesn't matter whether you find a larger more reliable host that you know will be around for a while. I have had a few local design clients who were hosted with large well known hosts. And when I had to transfer their domains over to my server, it was pure hell to get it done. They make it so difficult to migrate away from them because they don't want to lose the business.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by ATH-Sean View Post

P.S - Unfortunately We Do Not Register .CA Domains
    And how has he managed to notice that I wonder?
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

And how has he managed to notice that I wonder?
    I figure he accessed my site

Quote Originally Posted by jmdr View Post
    Do you have any ticket on this case? I'm pretty we can fix that quickly.

For the documentation / invoices, each documents is translate in english / spanish so normally, you can find what you want in the language you want

Invoices, please give you your account number, I will verify why your received some french invoice.

I hope we can find a solution to you problems
    Sylvain Delisle
    Community Manager
    iWeb.com

@Jean-Luc: thanks for your interest in this, is there someway off-forum for me to contact you to talk about this?

@rumsfo: Sean is right, I just noticed the link in his signature and figured, since he was being so helpful, that it'd be worth seeing what his company had to offer.

@Sean, vito, et al.: I hear what you are saying about registering the domain separately, now excuse the newb question--how is it different for a domain if a registration company goes under, versus if a hosting company (that's also registered a domain for you) goes under?

I sent you my email by PM.
    Sylvain Delisle
    Community Manager
    iWeb.com

Thumbs up Issues resolved--I'm sticking with iWeb

I just wanted to post a quick note for people who may find and read this thread:

After discussing with me privately about the issues I'd had with my iWeb hosting service, their representative, Jean-Luc, was able to address all of my concerns and helped me come to a very satisfactory resolution. I was impressed by his initiative and courtesy, and am happy to continue on as a satisfied iWeb customer.

Thanks to all who added their wisdom--I'm glad I posted here.

if you need help you can contact me.
    if you live in the east of canada, you can visit my website
    and the provider is JUSTHOST, not bad. and my website has some tools that you can test it. the US server is same as canada.

my web site is curkle(dot)com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast