Can I change my user name?

I just read over the guidelines, and there's one rule listed in the Forum Specific Rules that I do not understand...

"If your user name is the same as your URL or company name, you may not refer to it outside the advertising forums."

SpamHero is our company name. What is meant by "referring" to it?

Is it possible to change my user name?

Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by SpamHero View Post
    I just read over the guidelines, and there's one rule listed in the Forum Specific Rules that I do not understand...

"If your user name is the same as your URL or company name, you may not refer to it outside the advertising forums."

Curtis
    If you'd like to change your username, submit a support ticket to the helpdesk.

Just remember you can only change it once every 6 months!
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

I believe they are asking you not to refer to yourself (or your username) in the third person. So YOU saying: "SpamHero" is a great host and Spamhero is happy to do that kind of work, would be inappropriate. I think just saying "I" and not referring to your company name is the only restriction there. Although if anyone else knows better I am sure you will here about it eventually.
    - Donovan K
    Want to monitor and manage your customers Windows systems by Client software, web portal, or mobile phone?
    Automated scripts, patching, and remote access too? Ask me how!

Quote Originally Posted by dspkable View Post
    I believe they are asking you not to refer to yourself (or your username) in the third person.
    Exactly right.
    Quote Originally Posted by HivelocityJJ View Post
    And again!
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by HivelocityJJ View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by dspkable View Post
    I believe they are asking you not to refer to yourself (or your username) in the third person. So YOU saying: "SpamHero" is a great host and Spamhero is happy to do that kind of work, would be inappropriate. I think just saying "I" and not referring to your company name is the only restriction there. Although if anyone else knows better I am sure you will here about it eventually.
    I'm not sure what this rule is trying to accomplish... if I get change my user name from SpamHero I'm allowed to make reference to my company name, but otherwise I can't?

Let me make sure I understand this. Since your user name is NOT SagoNetworks, and someone asked you how to contact your company, you could respond with:

"The best way to contact Sago Networks is...."

However, since my user name is currently SpamHero, if someone asked that question about how to contact SpamHero, I'd have to say:

"To contact *my* company..."

...without saying "SpamHero"?

In fact, since I reference SpamHero in this message, is this very message in violation of the rule?

Thanks,

Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleH View Post
    Just remember you can only change it once every 6 months!
    Thanks for pointing that out... I better give it some thought before switching it.

Curtis

Hey Curtis,

Think of it in this sense:

You are in the Lounge discussing smelly fish, and you decide to say: "SpamHero loves smelly fish!" Are you saying your company likes smelly fish? Maybe there is a person who takes interest in smelly fish, and would love to do work with SpamHero since they have a common interest. Then, someone would say "Please don't advertise your companies interests in this forum, that is for the advertising forum." and then you could come back and say, "Well it's my username too, I was saying I liked it."

It's the only way I can really explain it. In a more general sense: the rule is in place so you can't advertise outside of the appointed forums and defend yourself by saying you were only saying it as your username and did not mean for it to be implied as your company name.

Your username change will not be immediate after you put in your ticket, either. It will take some time for the staff to process your request as they have many other things on their hands to handle.

Best,
    Ryan

Curtis
    One of the things that the rule is designed to stop, would be this:

SpamHero
    Obviously not the only thing but it's one of the many ways people try and get their company name out there and flout the WHT rules.

The important thing is that the WHT moderators are all good people, sensible, and keep this place in tip top shape. I wouldn't worry too much about it
    Alasdair

Some valid points here. I guess I hadn't really thought about the confusion that could be caused by having a user name that is the same as our company name.

Also good to know that the WHT folks are reasonable. :-)

Thanks,

Curtis