Nearline Sata drive performance

We have had some old dell 745n that had sata drives in them in the past. These are the only time we have ever used sata. The performance was terrible and we replaced the sata drives more times in over several years and we ever have with sas/scsi drives.

We are looking to get some new disk backup boxes which we plan to go 600gb sas drives, but might be considering 1tb nearline sata from dell.

I would like to hear from anyone using nearline sata and get feedback on performance and reliability overall. Also if you are using for backups, how many backup jobs are you able to run at the same time before performance drops?

thanks in advance

I've had the opposite experience, I RMA a much larger % of scsi & sas drives then I do sata.

That said, I have very little experience with the nearline sata, sorry.

Pody,

Depends on the backup software you use as to what kind of performance you would receive.

We've used SATA for backup purposes. With the right controller its plenty fast and able to keep up with our volume with ease.

Thanks!
    => Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting Dedicated Servers Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over Sixteen Years of Service

Our standard backups servers each have 15 SATA drives on Areca RAID6 controllers. They perform very well, and have been extremely reliable.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

We are running a Dell Equallogic SAN with SATA drives and had no problems.
    SAS gives you less latency and more performance on small file reads and writes. If you are running heavy databases then use SAS, if your load is medium to low use SATA.
    I run 30 VMs with a mix of SQL, Web and File servers on our 16 drive SATA box and have no problems with performance.

For a backup box you'll have no trouble at all with SATA. Remember, the more drives (spindles) you have, the higher the overall performance.

Quote Originally Posted by pody View Post
    We are looking to get some new disk backup boxes which we plan to go 600gb sas drives, but might be considering 1tb nearline sata from dell.

I would like to hear from anyone using nearline sata and get feedback on performance and reliability overall. Also if you are using for backups, how many backup jobs are you able to run at the same time before performance drops?
    I have used both SAS and SATA in Dell's with PERC 5i and 6i. Never had a problem with any RAID arrays regardless of interface. Have never had to RMA any of the Seagate drives in these systems.

SATA is fine for server use as long as you're running RAID 5, 6, 10 or 50 with ample spindles; JBOD or RAID 1 are fine for servers with light non-critical loads. The only time I've had to replace SATA with SAS is heavy database or virtualization loads.