my VPS host won't upgrade from CentOS 4.7 to 5.4

Can someone explain why a VPS host wouldn't upgrade a VPS from CentOS 4.7 to 5.4? Is there some technical explanation that I'm not privy to?

Hello,

Unfortunately we cannot upgrade the OS on our VPS product. If you would like to go up to CentOS 5, you will need to purchase a dedicated server and we would then be able to migrate all of your accounts to that dedicated server.
    Is this something you are interested in? I can get you over to our sales team to discuss getting a dedicated server if you would like.

Regards,

xxxxxxxxxxx

I replied asking if they offered CentOS 5 VPS and this was his reply:

Hello,

Yes, that is correct. As far as I know, that is in development, but I couldn't even begin to speculate when that will be finalized.

Did you wish to be upgraded to a dedicated server?

Regards,

xxxxxxxxxxx

Aside from the extremely annoying upsell at the end of each e.mail, I'm inclined to think I'm going to have to change VPS providers.

Thanks for any help.

hard_core

Theres no technical reason for a VPS provider not to offer CentOS 5.4 templates, other then them just not having made one yet. There are definitely publicly offered CentOS 5.4 templates out there to

I think they are trying to upsell you because they have not deployed 5.4 yet.

That is strange, since you can upgrade from 4.x to 5.x from the command line.
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth

Hi, you should have root access. After you create a backup, import the ce5 gpg key and yum upgrade.
    How to spot a hosting reseller:
    a. ping "web-hosting-company".com. Search that IP at arin.net.

b. the company displayed by arin.net has full network and likely server control and is the real provider
    A 99.999% SLA means nothing when 90% of the service continuince is beyond the control of the reseller.
    RapidVPS - Intelligent and Reliable VPS Hosting since 2004

just upgraded my 5.3 vps to 5.4 via command line, find yourself a host that can do this without trying to upsell you.

Upgrading from 4.x to 5.x is risky to providers who do it on customer production vps, this is due to some applications might break in customer server as some customer compile things from source and many other reasons too.

as you are the owner of the vps, you are well aware of what software is running in your server and you have the root access to do it. Do a complete backup of your data and get your vps provider to do a snapshot of your vps as well just in case your vps break.

after which, follow rapidrick suggestion to upgrade.
    tanfwc
    Singapore Managed Colocation
    Singapore BGP Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyan View Post
    just upgraded my 5.3 vps to 5.4 via command line, find yourself a host that can do this without trying to upsell you.
    the thread owner is upgrading from 4.x to 5.x

5.3 to 5.4 is minor upgrade.

fyi, if you are running bind, take note that 5.4 does not allow any corrupted zone anymore and bind will not start up if detected any.
    tanfwc
    Singapore Managed Colocation
    Singapore BGP Announcement

They probably don't have the image for Centos 5.x (which has been out for what, two years now?)
    You can upgrade through Yum, but I don't think it's recommended as it's a big jump in packages and changed configuration.

If you are going to migrate, I'd suggest you migrate away to a host offering CentOS 5.x while you're at it; Moving to dedicated just because your host is unable or unwilling to provide an OS image to a system that has been out for years sounds like a shady upselling move.

I understand it's a minor upgrade my point is that if this is important to the OP he should find someone that is running a more updated version of Centos and he would have control over his own upgrades. In the last 3 months I've tested over 15 low cost VPS hosts an only 2 of them were not on 5.X.

Have your host back up your server for free, and then yum upgrade. If they are unwilling to help you upgrade yourself then move to another host.
    ITSVPS.com Virtual Servers - Cutting edge technology, first class network, affordable prices! Managed and unmanaged. Virtual and Dedicated. Shared hosting, web design, application development, and more. Contact us here, or our website!