Need A New Dedicated Server Host

My 1 years contract with 1&1 is up, and since they are terrible (I guess that's what I get for renting a server that's only $99.00 per month), I want to get a server from a host that's closer to home.

One of the many issues I have with 1&1 is that, from Indiana, and most other places in the Eastern time zone, the ping in Call of Duty 4 from my server is over 80ms when my connection is good (and far worse when it is bad). Therefore, I want something as close to Indianapolis as I can get (Chicago seems to be the best bet).

Now I know that Limestone is a great server host, and I know several groups that use them and love them, but the ping to their servers is worse than the ping to my crappy 1&1 server, so they are out of the picture.

It looks like LiquidWeb and Gigenet are both very good, but it's hard to configure anything good for under $200.00 per month. Since the dual core CPU in my 1&1 server spikes at the slightest provocation, and can't handle much of a load, I was wanting a good Intel Quad Core, and since I may want to install Windows Server 2003 in a virtual machine I was wanting 4GB of RAM. Gigenet seems to have the best deal on such servers, but before I make a decision I want to know if I have any other options, and what the quality of the service is from those providers.

Have you considered Softlayer or The Planet?
    HighLayer - Canadian Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Latest cPanel/WHM - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 24/7 Support
    Visit www.highlayer.com or Call 1-888-84-LAYER

Quote Originally Posted by HighLayer View Post
    Have you considered Softlayer or The Planet?
    I ruled out The Planet a long time ago, but don't remember why (possibly price). Haven't heard anything about Softlayer.

Softlayer has pretty good reviews and they are reputable. Their network is rock solid and also support is pretty good. You should consider them.
    HighLayer - Canadian Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Latest cPanel/WHM - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 24/7 Support
    Visit www.highlayer.com or Call 1-888-84-LAYER

Quote Originally Posted by HighLayer View Post
    Softlayer has pretty good reviews and they are reputable. Their network is rock solid and also support is pretty good. You should consider them.
    None of their datacenters are anywhere near Indiana...

Have you looked into going with a game server company that offers dedicated servers ?

They will be able to offer you game server related support as well as a game control panel unlike the above listed providers.

Wish you the best of luck in your search.

If you're looking for Chicago go with GigeNET. They seem to be a top provider.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    Have you looked into going with a game server company that offers dedicated servers ?

They will be able to offer you game server related support as well as a game control panel unlike the above listed providers.
    I use my server for more than that, and I don't want control panels of any kind. I want to be able to install the servers as if it was my own dedicated server running from home.

Quote Originally Posted by GT500 View Post
    I use my server for more than that, and I don't want control panels of any kind. I want to be able to install the servers as if it was my own dedicated server running from home.
    Fair enough, Gigenet is a great provider so I would give them a shot although they are managed so you will of course be paying more then if you went with an unmanaged provider.

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    Fair enough, Gigenet is a great provider so I would give them a shot although they are managed so you will of course be paying more then if you went with an unmanaged provider.
    Really? It looked like I could order one that didn't have all of the junk on it. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Really? It looked like I could order one that didn't have all of the junk on it. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.
    Managed service comes with all there dedicated servers but that doesn't mean you need to use it. Just means you will be paying a little more then if they were unmanaged.

My advice is to search for the best deal and don't be afraid to negotiate.

1) Search the dedicated hosting offers forum where Gigenet may have specials running.

2) As I said before, contact their sales and negotiate the best possible deal.

Here are two tips on getting a good deal.
    1) Mention you're looking for an UNMANAGED server
    2) Offer to pay quarterly which they usually give a discount for.

Here is a great deal for under $125. NEGOTIATE!!!
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    2) As I said before, contact their sales and negotiate the best possible deal.
    I've sent an e-mail to Liquid Web and Gigenet.