NEED HELP STARTING A HOSTING CO

Looking to start my own hosting company for my current web clients. Currently I provide web design and marketing for local clients and now I want to incorporate the hosting company.

I don't have experience with hosting company. I currently have a reseller account from eprohosted and I am looking for advice.

I currently spend $20/m but I don't use any feature of the reseller hosting pack.

What you recommend?

What do you need advice for? How to incorportate? How to host the clients? Give us more specifics and I am sure you will find many people willing to help.

What types of features are you looking for? How much disk space/bandwidth do you require?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilAgg View Post
    What do you need advice for? How to incorportate? How to host the clients? Give us more specifics and I am sure you will find many people willing to help.

Thanks for your time Neil. Currently I don't have a site to resell hosting I just set up for my web design clients, so I am looking to start one. So i need help with:

- Where should I find a reliable reseller hosting? Can you recommend anyone?
    - Website templates for hosting?
    - What is VSP? do i need that?
    - billing?
    - support?

Like I said I don't have anything I just have the clients.

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    What types of features are you looking for? How much disk space/bandwidth do you require?
    Here is what I currently have:

cPanel 11.24.5-R38506 - WHM 11.24.2 - X 3.9
    CENTOS 5.4 i686 standard on cordoba

rocessor #1 Vendor: GenuineIntel
    Processor #1 Name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5345 @ 2.33GHz
    Processor #1 speed: 2333.479 MHz
    Processor #1 cache size: 4096 KB

---------------------------------
    Current Memory Usage
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 2074920 1818956 255964 0 114864 1105932
    -/+ buffers/cache: 598160 1476760
    Swap: 2096472 948 2095524
    Total: 4171392 1819904 2351488

---------------------------------
    Current Disk Usage
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda5 223G 201G 11G 96% /
    /dev/sda2 2.0G 64M 1.8G 4% /tmp
    /dev/sda1 99M 22M 73M 23% /boot
    tmpfs 1014M 0 1014M 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/sdb1 231G 7.7G 211G 4% /home2

So you're currently on a dedicated server?

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    So you're currently on a dedicated server?
    I have Reseller 1 package. I don't think is dedicated. Sorry I don't even know???

only the info from WHM?
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Stick with your reseller account for now, till you grow a good few clients.
    Any reason you want to move from where you are now?

Main things are

- Stability
    - Control Panel
    - Good support
    - A price you consider fair for what you get. That doesn't mean the cheapest necessarily.

I would say look at the running a web hosting company forum. But if you are looking for a good reseller host, I would recommend you have a look at catsnine.com, they offer great packages which include whmcs billing system and also have great support team.

Quote Originally Posted by harohost View Post
    But if you are looking for a good reseller host, I would recommend you have a look at catsnine.com, they offer great packages which include whmcs billing system and also have great support team.
    I think he has one reseller package already and needs to know about how to run a company.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Ae you only looking to host your clients or canvas for additional hosting accounts.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

Best to stay with a resellers account. Make sure you have dedicated IP's and private name servers because some clients may start saying you’re a reseller of another company which can drop sales. If you have a dedicated IP then it’s less likely to happen because it will trace back to the data centre.
    << snipped >>
    Last edited by CArmstrong; 10-28-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by costal View Post
    I don't think is dedicated. Sorry I don't even know???
    It sounds like reseller hosting is the best option for you for now. Once you have more general hosting experience, if you really want to expand your hosting services, then you might consider hiring an experienced server admin to set up and manage a dedicated server for you.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by costal View Post
    Looking to start my own hosting company for my current web clients. Currently I provide web design and marketing for local clients and now I want to incorporate the hosting company.

I don't have experience with hosting company. I currently have a reseller account from eprohosted and I am looking for advice.

I currently spend $20/m but I don't use any feature of the reseller hosting pack.

What you recommend?
    Welcome to WHT, costal.

If I understand you correctly, you are looking to set up hosting services that you can provide to your current (and future) local design clients so that you are able to provide them with a more complete full service offering. If that is the case, then you don't really need to go to the trouble of setting up a whole new web hosting site. I assume you already have a web site for your web design services. If so, just add Web Hosting to your current site. So just add a new menu item for web hosting, and display a page or three that display your hosting plans, pricing, Terms Of Service, etc.

You already have a reseller hosting plan so unless there is a reason you are looking to switch to another host, you can use the account you already have. If it is a reseller account, then you will have access to WHM (Webhostmanager). This is the control panel that will allow you to create your hosting plans, create new hosting clients, etc.

As for billing, you can install one of many scripts that will handle this for you. Personally, I use WHMCS (www.whmcs.com ). It is a billing/customer management/support script. You can either pay monthly for WHMCS or buy it outright. Simply install it on your site, configure it, and then you're ready for business. You would tie in your order form from your site into WHMCS. So when a new customer signs up online, their account is automatically created in WHMCS.

The only other missing part is to set up online payment processing. You can set up a full fledged merchant account, or if you prefer to keep it simple, just create a Paypal account and tie it into your WHMCS as the payment method. The whole order process will then be seamless.

So after you get all set up, you can then get your current design clients added to the system. You can send them to your site and let them go through the order process. Or, if you already have a working relationship with them, do it for them so they don't have to bother with it. Just login to your WHMCS, create the new account, then login to WHM and create the same account there, and you're done. All the customer has to do is login to their domain registrar account and point their domain to your nameservers.

If all your customers are local businesses, chances are they will likely not use up very much in server resources, as most small businesses are just looking for basic Internet prescence, so your current $20 reseller account is more than enough for now. When you outgrow it, move up to a larger plan, and then eventually get your own dedicated server. But for now, don't spend any more than you have to. Your current account is just fine for now.

Good luck.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials