Server:

Xeon 3360
    4GB RAM
    CentOS 5x 64bit
    cPanel
    1x146GB 10k SAS HDD
    10TB BW100Mbps uplink
    5IPs

$210/month OR $200/month if I pay quarterly.

Been offered this deal from GigeNet after quite a lot of haggling on my part, this also includes managed services which is very appealing as I run into a lot of problems with this usually.

My current provider ThePlanet have offered this same deal for $229/month if I were to be in their virtual private rack environment, or $204/month to be in their general population environment - didn't know they did this, or what the difference might be.

Right now I'm swaying toward GigeNet...

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by AmishPatel; 10-27-2009 at 05:35 PM.

I would definitely make the jump. I've seen a lot of recent Planet-bashing threads and we don't have enough good things to say about GigeNet's staff. We've never rented a dedicated server from them so I'm just going off of reviews I've read here on WHT.
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | CloudFlare Optimized Partner
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

Gigenet gets my vote. Great and fast support, fine network, friendly people. They do a real good job!

Gigenet is awesome. Great uptime & network. I dont need much support so I cant tell you that.

Would be interested in reviews on their managed services? I wouldn't expect them to update software etc. but what about mysql/apache optimization etc. This is where I will likely need help.

I say go for it just because The Planet has been dragging their feet lately. I want to smack them for refusing to work with me.

That's the nice version of what happened.

Gigenet looks good. Just spent about an hour chatting to sales to sort out a good deal for myself. Amazing really, considering this is a managed server:

Core 2 Quad 6600
    2GB RAM
    74GB 10,000 rpm HDD (or 150GB 10,000 rpm if not stock of the 74GB)
    Windows Web Server 2003
    3TB Bandwidth on 100Mbps
    Ping + TCP port monitoring
    Datacentre response to any downed service - ie proactive support
    5 IPs

$124.20 a month

Pretty pleased with that.

Gigenet seem very knowledgeable (I called their support department to ask a few questions).

Good stuff. I gave the go-ahead to Peter to order in my X3360

I spoke to Peter too, very helpful!

I think sales are now closed and Peter had said that if we ordered, it would be done when he was back in tomorrow.

Please keep us updated to how the server is at Gigenet - how quick its set up, what the support is like and how much faster your website runs!

No doubt, ThePlanet has been getting nothing but negative reviews lately.

what about mysql/apache optimization etc. This is where I will likely need help.
    I have a server with Gigenet. My site runned slower than my last host, altough the ping to Gigenet was better. Quite confusing. I hired Steve from Rack911, and thanks to his optimization services, my site was able to get 1 second download, no matter the time I connect to.

Bottom line, donīt trust your dedicated provider will make this stuff for you. Hire someone else to make this optimization job. Itīs worth the speed youīll gain.
    Last edited by Netyver; 10-27-2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by AmishPatel View Post
    Server:

Xeon 3360
    4GB RAM
    CentOS 5x 64bit
    cPanel
    1x146GB 10k SAS HDD
    10TB BW100Mbps uplink
    5IPs

Been offered this deal from GigeNet after quite a lot of haggling on my part, this also includes managed services which is very appealing as I run into a lot of problems with this usually.
    I'm trying to visualize just how good of a deal that is.

Do you know the retail/regular price for the exact same setup? Yes I'm too lazy/stubborn to price it out myself on Gigenet.com
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Netyver View Post
    I have a server with Gigenet. My site runned slower than my last host, altough the ping to Gigenet was better. Quite confusing. I hired Steve from Rack911, and thanks to his optimization services, my site was able to get 1 second download, no matter the time I connect to.

Bottom line, donīt trust your dedicated provider will make this stuff for you. Hire someone else to make this optimization job. Itīs worth the speed youīll gain.
    Hey how can I ask how much he charged and if you have a direct contact for him?

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    I'm trying to visualize just how good of a deal that is.

Do you know the retail/regular price for the exact same setup? Yes I'm too lazy/stubborn to price it out myself on Gigenet.com
    I don't have a clue man lol.

I ordered it today and paying quarterly, will work out at $200/month which is what I am paying for now with unmanaged services and hosting on TP with an old Xeon and 2GB of Ram!

Definitely go with Gigenet.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Hey how can I ask how much he charged and if you have a direct contact for him?
    You can reach him on http://www.rack911.com

Itīs very affordable, and performed the optimization job within an hour in my case. Iīd prefer not to disclouse his rates, but are very affordable.

The problem, some times is too busy and wonīt answer. Heīs so good and affordable, that always is plenty of work. But when he is available, replies extremely fast and make the job right away.

There are other options if you canīt reach Steven:

http://www.servaxnet.com/

Iīve heard about Dennis, is good and affordable.

http://www.admingeekz.com

Scott seems very professional and replies extremely fast. Itīs a bit expensive, but if you can afford his rates, is a no brainer.

But last recommendations are based on reading WHT threads. I have no experience with them yet, only contacted Scott for some potential projects, but I have experience with Rack911, highly recommended specially for pricing and results.
    Last edited by Netyver; 10-29-2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Grammar

I moved from tp to webnx a month back....they rock....the planet has the worst,i mean the worst pricing and customer support on the planet.

when i told them i would be moving my server to webnx ( to see if they could match the pricing),the idiot tech said with one of those unknown companies,expect more downtime than uptime.

To hell with theplanet.

your choice, almost same. price shouldn't be the only element you think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearbox View Post
    expect more downtime than uptime.
    Well they are right...
    Uptime for WebNX: 99.95% - http://www.webhostingstuff.com/uptime/WebNXInc.html
    Uptime for ThePlanet: 99.98% - http://www.webhostingstuff.com/uptime/ThePlanet.html

but not by much!

another vote for gigenet

Unfortunately they can't get my a X3360 now and are all out of the Q9550 so going to be offered a good price on the i7 920 today by Peter.

I currently use one of the i7 920 from Gigenet. That machine is a nice beast!

It would be I think, but would probably be a bit overkill for my needs. See what Peter says today

Placed my order from Gigenet so will see how it goes.

Got myself a good deal for $200/month with managed services from Gigenet:

Quad Core Intel Q9550
    8 GB ECC
    147GB SAS 15,000 RPM
    CentOS, 64-Bit
    cPanel 11

Massive upgrade from what I have now with ThePlanet at the SAME price with unmanaged services:

Dual Xeon 2.8
    2GB RAM
    2x73GB 10K SCSI HDDs
    CentOS
    cPanel

Nice machine!
    Share your further experiences with us in future!

Well that's my server with Gigenet all set up - they are currently configuring it/installing stuff that I requested.

So far so good, fast responses.

Quote Originally Posted by psmith98752 View Post
    Well they are right...
    Uptime for WebNX: 99.95% - http://www.webhostingstuff.com/uptime/WebNXInc.html
    Uptime for ThePlanet: 99.98% - http://www.webhostingstuff.com/uptime/ThePlanet.html

but not by much!
    That's not an accurate assessment necessarily as that's just monitoring the company website which could have been down for other reasons other than network downtime.

Anyways, thanks for the update about Gigenet! I look forward to hearing back from you in a month or two about the service.

So far so good.

Transfer went smoothly, and support have been excellent in helping and solving the problems I've put to them. Been very impressed with the speed of response to support queries.

Had a problem today - the server suffered from a kernel panic over httpd. Was told it was likely a ram issue and it was replaced.

Had a problem today - the server suffered from a kernel panic over httpd. Was told it was likely a ram issue and it was replaced.
    It happens. It happened with us and our former provider (before we moved to GigeNet), and our server management team refused to swap out the RAM, saying there was nothing wrong with it. So the server kept going down 3-4 times per day for three days while we kept telling them "change the RAM, change the RAM." Finally they caved in, had the DC techs swap the RAM, and the problem went away - imagine that.

When we brought a handful of servers online with GigeNet in September, one of them exhibited the same characteristics. 15 minutes later, the RAM was swapped, the problem was solved and everyone was happy. This is what you get when you're working with technicians who are both competent and who actually care about the customer's well being.

I hope you experience resolution as quickly as we did!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

They have replaced the RAM and the server is back online now - I am just worried that it might happen again and am a bit weary as it's the first time I've experienced an error like this. Hopefully should be OK though... I had 8GB of Ram on my server - I wonder if it was all replaced.

They have replaced the RAM and the server is back online now - I am just worried that it might happen again and am a bit weary as it's the first time I've experienced an error like this. Hopefully should be OK though... I had 8GB of Ram on my server - I wonder if it was all replaced.
    Same here w/RAM. You're lucky this is your first time

The good thing about kernel panic is that (in my experience), you can keep the server online for the remainder of the day and swap out the RAM during a slow period, and at worst, you may have to reboot once or twice, for a minute or two of downtime. You're not bound to take the server down right at that second to do the swap, though if your techs are fast enough, I suppose you may as well just do it!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Went down again after RAM replacement. Keep receiving the following e-mail:

nameserver failed @ Fri Nov 6 10:41:31 2009. A restart was attempted automagically.
    Service Check Method: [check command]

Cmd Service Check Raw Output: named is not running

The CPU and motherboard are now being replaced..

Went down again after RAM replacement. Keep receiving the following e-mail:

nameserver failed @ Fri Nov 6 10:41:31 2009. A restart was attempted automagically.
    Service Check Method: [check command]

Cmd Service Check Raw Output: named is not running

The CPU and motherboard are now being replaced..
    Meh - that sucks. I hope they get it sorted quickly. It can happen to anyone, but it sucks when it's happening to you!

Amish,

You purchased a very powerful SAS drive, but, What about raid 0, raid1 or raid5? You donīt need to go offline if you have installed raid 5. Consider to switch equipment next billing period, specially raid5. You can buy 73 GB SAS drives, or even SATA drives, in order to make affordable the move.

I personally use Intel Quad Core i7 920, wich is much better than your nowadays CPU for the same price, and if you survived with 2 RAM with your last provider, 6 RAM is good enough to cut costs.

Donīt forget to hire an admin to perform optimization job in your server.
    Last edited by Netyver; 11-18-2009 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Adding info

Server:

Xeon 3360
    4GB RAM
    CentOS 5x 64bit
    cPanel
    1x146GB 10k SAS HDD
    10TB BW100Mbps uplink
    5IPs

My current provider ThePlanet have offered this same deal for $229/month if I were to be in their virtual private rack environment, or $204/month to be in their general population environment - didn't know they did this, or what the difference might be.

Right now I'm swaying toward GigeNet...

What do you guys think?
    Hell, that's a similar quote I was trying to get out of the planet. They said there was no way that could give me something similar to that for that price. Then went on to call Softlayers servers mustangs and the planet servers porches... lolz If I where you I'd probably do it. I don't have any experience with the Gigenet network though, if its as good as The Planet, switch hands down. every dollar matters! lol

I've been doing business with GiGeNet for 4 years now, I surely recommend this company.