Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Experience with ServerWOW?

Has anyone used ServerWOW? How I can't find any reviews on the internet, but they seem to have a very affordable selection of VPS offerings.

Well I always strongly suggest searching WHT to find results. When doing so for such a company I found nothing, only what you posted http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...rchid=19121260 With those results I would be a bit leery about this company. I did a whois on the domain name and found Created on: 17-Sep-09 so it's a VERY new company http://www.dnsandip.com/tools/whois?var=serverwow.com With such new companies you take the risk of fly-by-night operations. Best of luck!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

so-so and short experience here. The VPS was set up pretty quickly and support ticket were answered quickly and nicely too; however, getting stuff to the box, like updates, could be a bit slow. I gave up and canceled when I found out that they were using OpenDNS nameservers in the resolv.conf.

Thumbs down Support Died

My VPS is down more than 4 days. Support doesn't reply.

As Lindi indicated you should tread with great caution with a host with that little history. There are many budget hosts out there with established history.

If you do sign up with Server wow, Please do let us know how the experience does running along.

Thank you

Whats wrong with opendns? I use em?

Just because a "company" is using another dns service on thier site shouldnt make them bad, some companys find it easy to use 3rd party dns

Ive seen a few people say about slow updates on other hosts, have you thought it might be the company hosting the update files might be having some issues with speed?

Quote Originally Posted by chris34 View Post
    so-so and short experience here. The VPS was set up pretty quickly and support ticket were answered quickly and nicely too; however, getting stuff to the box, like updates, could be a bit slow. I gave up and canceled when I found out that they were using OpenDNS nameservers in the resolv.conf.

I agree. What is wrong with using OpenDNS for resolv.conf?

Quote Originally Posted by fabrini View Post
    I agree. What is wrong with using OpenDNS for resolv.conf?
    Nothing however it will have to be setup correctly at the OpenDNS control panel otherwise their search IPs will be returned instead of NXDOMAIN

Quote Originally Posted by LV-Dexxa View Post
    Whats wrong with opendns? I use em?

Just because a "company" is using another dns service on thier site shouldnt make them bad, some companys find it easy to use 3rd party dns

Ive seen a few people say about slow updates on other hosts, have you thought it might be the company hosting the update files might be having some issues with speed?
    downloading updates and stuff on the VPS capped at 200~500KB/s while I could download from the VPS at 10x that speed. I assumed it was the DNS and since changes made to the resolv.conf were reverted at every reboot I canceled the account.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the box often failed to resolve the update servers when running aptitude update. I tried more than one server and they all failed.
    Last edited by chris34; 12-15-2009 at 12:17 PM.

The continue of this story:

I've received this message from ServerWOW:

ServerWOW's future and problems of the last week.

Dear Customer

Over the last week BurstNet have pulled several servers with reasons due to abuse and other issues un be known to us. All servers have been paid for in full however these servers remain offline. We have contacted BurstNet on several occasions regarding their actions and to do our best to get these server back online. We have not had a single reply from them.

All I can suggest at the moment is to submit a paypal claim for a refund to be issued. Due to the nature of Unmanaged vps servers / hosting services this excludes a backup solution or options we can not be liable for data lose.

We are incredibly sorry things have turned out the way they have but the circumstances around the problem is completely out of our hands. We shall put this down to a business stunt on their behalf to do with compertition ( offering the same service )

Under no circumstances have we been out to scam and do people out of money. The issues around this problem is purely as described in this email.

Kind Regards,
    ServerWOW

That really sucks, but another reason to go with a host who owns there own hardware though!
    madgenius.com - S Corp. We are US based company.
    Web Hosting, Cloud VPS, and Dedicated Solutions since 1998
    Also offering custom solutions and automated provisioning for most services

Quote Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
    That really sucks, but another reason to go with a host who owns there own hardware though!
    Agreed, however if it is indeed true that BurstNet pulled the plug on them without explanation, and will not even respond to them that is pretty poor service.
    I most certainly would not want to be a customer of BurstNet if that is how they treat them.
    Ben Thomas, Director - BTCentral Web Development Services
    http://www.btcentral.org.uk - Need a custom Web App? Visit us online.

I would like to here the other side before saying it's 100% burst fault...

Theirs always 2 side to a story...
    Robert Merrihue - President/CEO
    http://www.bethehost.com
    Where resellers become a host on servers we own and operate.
    Web Hosting Since 2000 *** 12+ Years in the hosting industry

And the other side will be heard soon. This is the first I'm hearing of this. I'll look into it now and report back.

If what I'm finding is correct, one of two things is going on here, and for neither is BurstNET to blame.

Calling ServerWOW now to get to the bottom of it.

More updates as the become available.

The phone number in our file for ServerWOW does not work. I have left them an e-mail and we'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by algero View Post
    The continue of this story:

I've received this message from ServerWOW:

Initial investigation shows the information posted was incorrect/false, and the suspensions were indeed warranted/justified.

We cannot release much details due to client privacy concerns, but suffice it to say that logs for emails sent to clients speak for themselves.
    Also, it should be noted, that our entire system is automated for billing suspensions/unsuspensions.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

I've had a long conversation with ServerWOW. After iour conversation, I've offered ServerWOW 20 minutes to post a response to all of this.

21 minutes from now I will respond if they haven't *reaches for IPhone timer app*

I would like to apolgoise for any inconvience caused. Under no cirmcumstances was burstnet at fault.

A single user was causing abuse where there were several oppertunitys in resolving the problem. Which wasn't taken seriously.

After this the whole business started to slip through our fingures and servers started to be come unpaid.

On another note servers were used under a resellers to host vps servers and were a violation to burstnets terms and conditions.

In the next 30 minutes we will explore avenues to try and turn things into a posertive outcome.

Sincerly sorry.

Well, I'm glad that's all cleared up and I accept btcentral's apology before he or she even offers it.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET_CSM View Post
    I accept btcentral's apology before he or she even offers it.
    I am not here to start a discussion on this however you are taking my reply out of context here, as highlighted in bold below:

Quote Originally Posted by btcentral View Post
    Agreed, however if it is indeed true that BurstNet pulled the plug on them without explanation, and will not even respond to them that is pretty poor service.
    I most certainly would not want to be a customer of BurstNet if that is how they treat them.
    I never stated that it was how you treat your customers, or what had been said was true at all - only that if it was, that was rather poor.

However, if anyone took that out of the intended context - as you seem to have - I do indeed apologise for that.
    As ServerWOW have now admitted - it was them who are at fault here - not BurstNet.

@btcentral - Muy endline was meant only as a (weak) piece of humor at the end of a sticky issue (And I forgot the smiley face to denote such a thing), and I totally apologize for making you think you had to defend yourself. You did not.

No problem - it's fairly hard to work out if someone is joking on forums such as these at the best of times.
    Anyhow, the apology still stands for anyone that did take my post out of context, because it's quite possible that someone may have.

Glad to see that it all got sorted out anyhow - and that ServerWOW admitted it was them at fault, not you.

I read on other forums that it was a scam setup. They even sent out an email saying it was BurstNet's fault and they should submit a claim to get a refund, but people are being denied refunds because of lack of funds in the account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast