Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R1 Soft

R1 Soft

Is this a control panel for backups or what? Do I have to have a dedicated server or can use a vps for it?
      0 Not allowed!

R1soft 'invented' there own Backup Technology called R1soft, and yes you should be able to use it on a dedicated server.
    Last edited by TheServerExperts; 10-26-2009 at 11:19 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Do you just add this to your own server or is it a separate control panel? Can you sell backup solutions to your non-hosting clients?
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,

You cannot use their backup software on a VPS. It must be installed on the hardware node.

R1soft utilizes a kernel-level module that provides realtime block-level backups.

I personally have extensive experience with R1soft (having worked with them since the beginning) and would be happy to answer any questions you have about their software.
    =>Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rlshosting View Post
    Is this a control panel for backups or what? Do I have to have a dedicated server or can use a vps for it?
    You would install the buserver on a dedicated server.
    You would install buagent on a dedicated server(where the VPS's are). BUagent can not be installed inside OpenVZ or Virtuozzo VPS's but can be done inside Xen VPS's.

R1Soft is pretty beast, you should get it.
      0 Not allowed!

I see what you mean now. I can install this on a dedicated server or a vps node. Its pretty much a good addition to your dedicated server.

It would probably like to get it.
      0 Not allowed!

Also keep in mind that if you purchase the MySQL option you can backup all VPSes MySQL instances on that hardware node at no extra cost. A great value added service for your clients!

I see what you mean now. I can install this on a dedicated server or a vps node. Its pretty much a good addition to your dedicated server.

It would probably like to get it.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by AdmoNet View Post
    Also keep in mind that if you purchase the MySQL option you can backup all VPSes MySQL instances on that hardware node at no extra cost. A great value added service for your clients!
    The only thing the mysql addon does is capture any data stored only in ram. The only reason you should need it is primarily for innodb or ultra-super-crazy-busy non-innodb db's.
      0 Not allowed!

The R1Soft module uses MySQLHotcopy and backs up innodb and myisam alike. It does not only capture data stored in RAM. Remember the backups are being performed of the entire system at the block level as well. We've had no issues restoring MyISAM or InnoDB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    The only thing the mysql addon does is capture any data stored only in ram. The only reason you should need it is primarily for innodb or ultra-super-crazy-busy non-innodb db's.
      0 Not allowed!

The R1Soft module uses MySQLHotcopy and backs up innodb and myisam alike. It does not only capture data stored in RAM. Remember the backups are being performed of the entire system at the block level as well. We've had no issues restoring MyISAM or InnoDB.
    I've yet to use the MySQL addon, I am sure it's great for cPanel/WHM Servers.
      0 Not allowed!

Jacob,

We currently use it on all of our servers. It works very well and provides table-level restores. We are able to perform hourly backups including MySQL.

Restores are fast and easy.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    I've yet to use the MySQL addon, I am sure it's great for cPanel/WHM Servers.
      0 Not allowed!

Jacob,

We currently use it on all of our servers. It works very well and provides table-level restores. We are able to perform hourly backups including MySQL.

Restores are fast and easy.

Thanks!
    We only use it on VPS nodes, so it's quite worthless to use it in our situations. I've yet to use the mysql addon, I only commented from what I heard.
      0 Not allowed!

My question is this: If I have a Windows VPS, Hyper V based, is there somewhere I can get a 10 day trial of R1soft? Or will it even work at all on such a server? I am interested in the agent only so I can test it. Thanks, Dave
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
    My question is this: If I have a Windows VPS, Hyper V based, is there somewhere I can get a 10 day trial of R1soft? Or will it even work at all on such a server? I am interested in the agent only so I can test it. Thanks, Dave
    You have to have server to back up to.
    So you can't just buy and agent and stick it on a dedicated server.

R1Soft is a 2 separate parts the server software installed where the backups are stored and then agents which are installed on the dedicated servers you want to back up.
    Unless your provider offers a data center edition of the server and sells you a slice of it to back up too then buying and installing the agent is worthless to you. You will need another server and buy the server software too
      0 Not allowed!

Thumbs up

I personally have extensive experience with R1soft (having worked with them since the beginning) and would be happy to answer any questions you have about their software.
    Good to know

We are in process of adding r1soft to avoid resource extensive cPanel daily backups. Do you think it is a good and feature rich alternative.

Also, how much the performance of backup server (having buserver) will impact the backup process and Bare Metal restores(in case).
    Vijay | sales@indianets.com
    indianets.com - Serving successfully since 2007
    Cheapest Multiple C-Class IP Hosting by indianets.com
    Reliable servers | Top Notch Support | Stable
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,

Yes it is a very good alternative. It will cut your back times down from hours to minutes.

Your backup server (buserver) will need to be a decently good system with 6-8 disks in RAID-10 at least. CDP is currently very I/O hungry but that is all supposed to change with CDP 3.0 coming early next year (hopefully)

Thanks!
      0 Not allowed!

It does flush the changes in memory to disk before the changes are copied. When you do not use the mysql addon this is not done and you run the risk of corrupt, unrecoverable tables. While the repairs will generally repair *most* tables it will not provide consistent data in all circumstances. For example you have an even higher risk with busy compressed myISAM tables (If you run any shared system, I would suggest you look at how many of your database tables are compressed myisam tables, you'll be surprised how many popular CMS/Blog/Open Source software use these by default) and will be left with unrecoverable tables without the mysql addon.

The warning about inconsistent data should be made stronger in 3.0 and link to a wiki entry highlighting this.

The cost of the mysql addon is next to nothing so there is no reason not to be using it if the database data is important.

The great thing is the mysql addon has alot of potential for excellent features which are very easy to implement, one that I particularly am waiting for is replication data to be taken at the same time as the flush. Which from the chats I have had seems like there's lots more to come.

Don't know about anyone else but I can't wait for 3.0.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,

Yes it is a very good alternative. It will cut your back times down from hours to minutes.

Your backup server (buserver) will need to be a decently good system with 6-8 disks in RAID-10 at least. CDP is currently very I/O hungry but that is all supposed to change with CDP 3.0 coming early next year (hopefully)

Thanks!
    Thank you for your fast response. You guys are doing great with webhostbackups

We are looking for our own setup of r1soft backup solution, but their license seems a way too costly - http://www.r1soft.com/promotions/r1s...sting-license/ - am I looking at the right place for the license?

How some companies are able to provide free unlimited CDP agents with their r1soft backup server purchase.

Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IndiaNets View Post
    Thank you for your fast response. You guys are doing great with webhostbackups

We are looking for our own setup of r1soft backup solution, but their license seems a way too costly - http://www.r1soft.com/promotions/r1s...sting-license/ - am I looking at the right place for the license?

How some companies are able to provide free unlimited CDP agents with their r1soft backup server purchase.

Thanks
    Contact them for the price but it's actually very cheap, you should get licenses while they are still cheap too before the product gets much better.

As for how some offer what they do, it may be their size, their license agreements and also when they got the licenses. Lots of factors to consider in specific agreements, some could be selling at a loss to introduce customers too - you simply don't know.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com
      0 Not allowed!

Has anyone tried r1 in comparison to storegrid?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xpservices View Post
    Has anyone tried r1 in comparison to storegrid?
    Are they even comparable? I checked their site, they seem to be on Windows side more than Linux.
      0 Not allowed!

Hello From R1Soft Founder

Thanks for all of the interest in R1Soft and I would like to answer some of the questions on this thread.

“…The R1Soft module uses MySQLHotcopy and backs up innodb and myisam alike…”
    Actually R1Soft CDP does not use mysqlhotcopy utility if that is what was meant. The myslhotcopy utility is a challenge for larger databases because it requires to hold table locks for the full duration of copying all tables… e.g. minutes to copy all the data… so during the hot copy queries will block or eventually timeout.

CDP locks MySQL only briefly to perform a point-in-time volume/partition snapshot using the CDP Linux kernel device driver. This is usually less than a second or may be several seconds on systems with many writes and large memory… its very quick.

More details on CDP for MySQL can be found here: http://wiki.r1soft.com/x/GhBE

“It does flush the changes in memory to disk before the changes are copied. When you do not use the mysql addon this is not done and you run the risk of corrupt, unrecoverable tables…"
    Scott.Mc is 100% correct. And as Scott pointed out we even warn if you do not have MySQL instances configured and we detect MySQL. MySQL must be correctly locked and flushed in coordination with CDP replication. Very very important and based on experience we will be making the warning even louder in the next CDP version.

“…but their license seems a way too costly”
    the link you posted is to the mini-elite hosting license promotion. The price quoted IMHO for 1,000 servers is an absolute steal… $3.20 / server / month for CDP software… if I did my math right?… and that is how companies are providing it as “free”… we call it value-ad. If I was growing my hosting biz to 1,000 servers I would get the elite license it will not stay that inexpensive for much longer.

Be aware you don’t have to purchase 1,000 licenses... You can purchase in almost any quantity you like. Contact R1Soft sales team for more information.

“Has anyone tried r1 in comparison to storegrid?”
    Storegrid is a great product and I have had the pleasure of talking to Sekar CEO of Storegrid about his product. Storegrid is made for ISPs/MSPs to provide managed backup services to small offices. Storegrid has a lot of great reselling and billing features and has plugins for Exchange, MySQL, and SQL Server. Under the hood it is VERY similar to rsync… it will NOT cut your backup windows down from hours to minutes like CDP replication as AdmoNet points out.

“Your backup server (buserver) will need to be a decently good system with 6-8 disks in RAID-10 at least. CDP is currently very I/O hungry but that is all supposed to change with CDP 3.0 coming early next year (hopefully)”
    I think AdmoNet is primarily referring to the CDP Server or data repository and he is very correct. CDP works by offloading I/O form the Agent (the server you are replicating) to the repository. CDP 3 has a new Disk Safe storage engine and has greatly improves CDP Server disk I/O… even so... CDP 3.0 is still I/O hungry e.g. hourly replications for 5-100 servers has a price in I/O… it’s just primarily paid at the backup repository and not on your server (the one with applications you are protecting) which is an amazing advantage over any other backup method.

We frequently see R1Soft customers deploy ratios of 100 Agents to 1 CDP Server repository using relatively inexpensive hardware… directly attached RAID cards etc... This is frankly amazing compared to really any other replication solution out there… all of them very expensive… take CommVault or EMC for example where Agent / Server ratios are in the range of 5:1… 15:1… at most with massive hardware investments.
    - David Wartell
    - R1Soft Founder - R1Soft & Idera are Divisions of BBS Technologies, Inc.
      0 Not allowed!

Just go with R1Soft, I've finally got a chance to use it and it's unbelievably easy to use. If I can finish some of my personal projects I will finally get it going for us as well. Aside from other projects I need more money as well.
      0 Not allowed!

VPS and R1Soft

You cannot use their backup software on a VPS. It must be installed on the hardware node.
    It depends on what virtualization software you are using and O/S (Windows or Linux).

This is documented here:
    Windows - http://www.r1soft.com/windows-cdp/cdp-server-20/vms/
    Linux - http://www.r1soft.com/linux-cdp/cdp-server-20/vms/
    - David Wartell
    - R1Soft Founder - R1Soft & Idera are Divisions of BBS Technologies, Inc.
      0 Not allowed!

Greetings:

The software, which works extremely well, involves a CDP server (akin to a control panel) that should be on its own server (though it can be on a VPS node). A disk that the CDP server has access to is also required; and should be large enough to contain the amount of backups you desire to keep.

Then there are agents you install on the target servers to be backed up. Currently there are agents for Windows and Linux.

The agents tend to be very economical in terms of foot print -- memory, disk utilization, and CPU utilization when active.

Overall, r1soft has an excellent backup technology; the only negative (which to me is extreme) is they have an extremely anti-user ticket system which makes anyone putting in a ticket feel like they are trash.

Rather than picking up a user friendly ticket system (we favor HelpSpot, but they could have also picked Kayako or Cerberus), they picked a system which appears to be oriented towards bug tracking, software development.

They refuse the trash the ticket system; and so, in our case, we post support requests everywhere BUT the ticket system.

Also, they have a reseller program; but that has holes in it because they will bill the customer directly AND bill the reseller (double dipping); AND they will communicate directly with the customer of the reseller even though the contract supposedly states that will never happen.

Aside from those issues, the software itself works well and is reliable.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast