Angry My experience with Hivelocity - and my opinion.

Hello all.

After two months struggling with this provider I feel its a moral obligation to share my terrible experience with Hivelocity, so that no one in the community has to deal with it.

On Sept 5 2009 we setup a new server with Hivelocity. We host several web sites and email services.

Setup was fine except that it took some additional time because it did not come with the 2nd HD we had ordered. From there until Sept 21, we were setting up the server and migrating all of our domain names and services.

The nightmare came once we migrated our services and went live, on sept 21th 2009. All of our customers started complaining about not being able to send email, constantly getting their email bounced back with the following error:

"Failed Recipient: xxxx
    Reason: Remote host said: 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation."

After doing some research, we found out that the set of IP addresses we got assigned was reported as having poor reputation.
    We had been assigned IP's 74.50.97.68-73, but were only using the one IP ending in 68.
    We contacted support unsuccessfully; Mr. Ju Pak, who got our ticket, even suggested that it was our fault. We desperately decided to check the whole IP range to see if there was another IP we could use to rapidly solve the problem. At that time our customers were furious and we were losing business.

It turned out that *ALL* 5 IP addresses assigned to us were reported at SenderBase as having poor reputation

Even more, the whole IP address block assigned to Hivelocity was reported in the ASPEWS list.(aspews.org/?p=91). (Please note they have some of their IP addresses listed under the name NOC4HOSTS.COM)

We contacted support again, but Mr. Jay, Sr. Systems Administrator, replied that "no ISP uses ASPEWS nor should they as it is a blackhole list formerly known as spews, although they claim not to be.". And again, we were blamed for the problem.

At that time we setup an email gateway with another server we own, to temporarily solve the problem and continue asking for support.

Everything was futile. Today we completed a full migration to a new provider, and are starting actions to get our money back and alert concerning authorities about this.

What Hiveolicity did is clearly a deceitful practice; they are fully aware of the reputation problems of their IP's, but despite that, they not only deny the problem, but even threat and blame their customers. I have been managing servers since 2004 and have never had any incident before.

My advice is stay away of this provider, specially if you plan to run email services of any kind. I will be updating as our claims develop.

The following is the full ticket support threads that we desperately created looking for help and the corresponding responses we got, so you can make for yourself an idea of what "impressive support" mean to these guys:

Ticket ID: WUB-203859
    Department: Abuse
    Priority: Critical
    Created On:22 Sep 2009 09:12 AM
    Last Update: 22 Sep 2009 09:12 AM

CONVERSATION
    -----------------------------------------
    Camilo Arango Posted On: 22 Sep 2009 09:12 AM
    Hi, I have received several complaints from customers using our email service about not being getting able to send email and receiving the following error message: "554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation". I checked and we have relay and evertything else properly configured. Also, I checked on several blacklist and we don't appear there except here:
    (UNABLE TO POST LINK - ASPEWS)

Is there anything we could do to run a email service with your IP block? It seems that ASPWES is a closed list and there is no way to be removed.

Please help, our customers are going crazy with this one.

Kind Regards,

Camilo Arango

Gary Posted On: 22 Sep 2009 09:36 AM

Hello,

You can get more detail about the reputation of your IPs @ (UNABLE TO POST LINK - SENDERBASE).
    You are exactly right about ASPEWS being closed and most server admins know this and don't use the list for that reason so it shouldn't be of much concern to you.

Thanks,

Gary H.
    Systems Administrator
    Hivelocity Impressive Support Dept.

Camilo Arango Posted On: 22 Sep 2009 10:48 AM
    Thanks Gary. I suppose you have had this error before with other customers. Is there something like a "to-do" list to save time and get out of this lists as soon as possible? Any other blacklist service have us as OK except ASPEWS; however, our reputation on SenderBase is poor!!

Do you think hivelocity may not be suitable for creating an email infrastructure? What else should I do?

Sr. Systems Administrator Posted On: 22 Sep 2009 11:33 AM
    Hello,

Be advised that should any RBL blacklistings occur as a result of mail sent from your server then the server shall be eligible for termination in full. Please read our AUP: (LINK TO ACCEPTED USE POLICY)

While looking at your IP's reputation via
    (LINK TO SENDERBASE QUERY OF IP 74.50.97.68)

SenderBase reputation score Poor
    Sender Category
    Network Owner IK Marketing International
    Domain insidesoluciones.com
    Date of first message seen from this address 2009-09-21
    CIDR range 74.50.97.64/29

You need to stop the garbage mail from being sent from your server and the reputation will increase.

Thank you!

-Jay
    Sr. Systems Administrator
    HiVelocity Impressive Support
    (888) 869-4678

Camilo Arango Posted On: 22 Sep 2009 11:50 AM
    You don't seem to be reading the whole thread. I just started using
    Hivelocity this morning for my clients and everybody is getting that 554
    message. I'm not new to email servers and I'm pretty sure we have everything
    fine tuned. The problem is YOU; noc4hosts.com HAS ITS WHOLE IP RANGE
    reported as used by spammers on ASPEWS and that is what has my server not
    being able to send email.
    I can't correct the info on ASPEWS because its a closed list, so I'm
    starting to suspect that I will never be able to improve my score now.

Now my question is clear and concise: Could you show me an IP Address on
    your range that has a neutral or good reputation in senderbase.org?

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:33 AM, HiVelocity Support <support AT support.hivelocity.net> wrote:
    <quoted last post from Jay>

Sr. Systems Administrator Posted On: 22 Sep 2009 01:01 PM
    Hello,

1) Be advised that no ISP uses ASPEWS nor should they as it is a blackhole list formerly known as spews, although they claim not to be.

2) With regards to the IP reputation, when I telnet to port 25 of 74.50.97.68 I see:

220 server.insidesoluciones.com

Now lets look at what I sent you in my previous reply:

While looking at your IP's reputation via (LINK TO SENDERBASE AGAIN)I see:

Sender Category

So with that said it is clear to see that your servers hostname matches the domain name from the reputation score: insidesoluciones.com

NOTE: You took possession of this server on 09-02-2009 and the date of first message seen from this address at senderbase was 09-21-2009.

Your server is what is causing your IP reputation to be flagged as poor.

What are you intending to do to resolve said issue?

Thank you!

-Jay
    (888) 869-4678

Camilo Arango Posted On: 22 Sep 2009 06:14 PM
    Jay, thanks for your quick replies. We have extensive experience running our mail servers and I can assure you that it is not an open relay, and neither there is any of our customers spamming. We don't even allow sending more than 30 emails in a timespan of an hour.
    You can see that the server is safe on any tests on the internet. Check out (LINK TO CHECKOR) for the IP (74.50.97.68) and you will see.
    We are not listed in ANY blacklist, except for ASPEWS, which includes whole ranges of IP addresses of NOC4HOSTS.COM
    Besides that, being online one day would not be enough to be included in Poor reputation. I have also checked all other IP addresses we got assigned and all of them are blacklisted, and we haven't even configured them on the machine.

Sr. Systems Administrator Posted On: 23 Sep 2009 10:20 AM
    Hello,

In your first post you said clients are getting: "554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation".

That 554 error is not saying that the IP is blacklisted. It is saying it has a poor reputation. When I check the reputation at senderbase I see:

> SenderBase reputation score Poor
    > Sender Category
    > Network Owner IK Marketing International
    > Domain insidesoluciones.com
    > Date of first message seen from this address 2009-09-21
    > CIDR range 74.50.97.64/29

This server went online for you on 09-02-2009 and the date of first message seen from this address at senderbase was 09-21-2009. So how can you say it was only online 1 day?

In addition, when I telnet to port 25 of 74.50.97.68 I see it is server.insidesoluciones.com and that is your server. With that said I am not sure what you are not clear on as your server is the source of the poor reputation.

I never said your server is an open relay nor any intentional spam is being sent. However, it is obvious there is some neglegent activity that your server is the source of as it has caused the poor reputation at senderbase.org. Your servers information is listed on the details of the site when checking the IP.

As I have already advised, you need to stop the garbage mail from being sent from your server and the reputation will increase. You will not be given new IP's until your reputation increases and I have advised the billing department of the same.

I now also see: "blocked, See: (LINK TO SPAM CANNIBAL) check 74.50.97.68.

Thank you!

-Jay
    (888) 869-4678

**END OF FIRST TICKET**

Ticket ID: AUK-701593
    Department:Billing
    Priority:
    Critical
    Created On:22 Sep 2009 04:28 PM
    Last Update: 22 Sep 2009 04:28 PM

CONVERSATION
    ---------------------------------------------
    Camilo Arango Posted On: 22 Sep 2009 04:28 PM
    Hi. We are losing a lot of email traffic due to the fact that NOC4HOSTS.COM has several blocks of IP addresses listed on several spam DNSBL.
    We have tested all 5 assigned IP addresses and all have the same problem.
    This is making impossible for us to run our email services and is causing us tremendous damage with our customers.

We need to be assigned a new range of IP addresses ASAP that are clean from every spam list including ASPEWS.

We need a little honesty here. We failed to check on HiVelocity's spam reputation because we learned about it from someone we trust.
    Please tell us if hivelocity is not adequate to run a mail server operation due to having a history of not fighting spam. Do you have any IP's not listed at all?
    If not possible, we will have to migrate our email services to another provider; but each additional hour we spend trying to deal with this is causing even greater damage to our customer relationship. We clearly stated when we signed up that we are a small hosting company and have web servers and email services.

Thanks,

Camilo

Islam Posted On: 22 Sep 2009 05:49 PM
    Hello,

I am now transferring this ticket to billing as we do not handle IP allocation.

Islam E.
    Hivelocity Impressive Support Dept
    Systems Administrator

Ju Pak Posted On: 23 Sep 2009 09:30 AM
    Hello,

As explained to you by our abuse admin the mail your sending out from the server is the cause of the ips being blacklisted. We can not assign you additional ips. Please check out ticket WUB-203859.

Thanks,

Ju Pak
    Billing Department
    Ju AT Hivelocity.Net
    888-869-4678 ext 234
    **END OF SECOND TICKET**

It seems that your email service was sending spam

Based on what you posted.

Sender Category

You took possession of the server on Sept 5 2009 and the Date of first message seen from this address 2009-09-21

And telnet to port 25 of 74.50.97.68 I see:

Seems your the one that is at fault not Hivelocity.

OP posted a lot of text so I went ahead and eliminated all but the relevant information.

Quote Originally Posted by Camilo99 View Post
    Sr. Systems Administrator Posted On: 22 Sep 2009 01:01 PM
    Hello,

With regards to the IP reputation, when I telnet to port 25 of 74.50.97.68 I see:

Now lets look at what I sent you in my previous reply:

While looking at your IP's reputation via (LINK TO SENDERBASE AGAIN)I see:

Sender Category

So with that said it is clear to see that your servers hostname matches the domain name from the reputation score: insidesoluciones.com

NOTE: You took possession of this server on 09-02-2009 and the date of first message seen from this address at senderbase was 09-21-2009.

Your server is what is causing your IP reputation to be flagged as poor.

What are you intending to do to resolve said issue?

Thank you!

-Jay
    (888) 869-4678

Sr. Systems Administrator Posted On: 23 Sep 2009 10:20 AM
    Hello,

In your first post you said clients are getting: "554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation".

That 554 error is not saying that the IP is blacklisted. It is saying it has a poor reputation. When I check the reputation at senderbase I see:

> SenderBase reputation score Poor
    > Sender Category
    > Network Owner IK Marketing International
    > Domain insidesoluciones.com
    > Date of first message seen from this address 2009-09-21
    > CIDR range 74.50.97.64/29

This server went online for you on 09-02-2009 and the date of first message seen from this address at senderbase was 09-21-2009. So how can you say it was only online 1 day?

In addition, when I telnet to port 25 of 74.50.97.68 I see it is server.insidesoluciones.com and that is your server. With that said I am not sure what you are not clear on as your server is the source of the poor reputation.

I never said your server is an open relay nor any intentional spam is being sent. However, it is obvious there is some neglegent activity that your server is the source of as it has caused the poor reputation at senderbase.org. Your servers information is listed on the details of the site when checking the IP.

I now also see: "blocked, See: (LINK TO SPAM CANNIBAL) check 74.50.97.68.

Thank you!

-Jay
    (888) 869-4678

**END OF FIRST TICKET**
    I fail to see where we are being deceitful. To the contrary I think the subject of this thread is deceitful.
    Last edited by hivelocitygm; 10-26-2009 at 08:50 PM.
    Steve Eschweiler- Hivelocity- Director of Operations
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

I tend to side with Hivelocity here - the evidence thus far seems to point to you as causing the initial blacklisting in that particular provider - I have another point to make.

As working with a previous dedicated provider and even with my current job - when you have such a large amount of IP's it's impossible to "check" each one in blacklists. It's a futile effort.

Could they have assisted a bit more, possibly assigned you another /29? Yes, though that doesn't put them at fault (especially considering the time of the blacklisting). It seems like you would have been unhappy regardless of what they did - unless they excepted fault.
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Let's Encrypt Sponsor.

Camilo99: If HiVelocity really wanted, if agreed too in the contract, can charge you for getting their IP's listed on a RBL. Gettings IP's removed from RBL's takes many man hours and is a very expensive task. HiVelocity should NOT give you any new IP's from any other range since you will simply get those blocked as well. If anything, you should pay them to work on getting those IP's clean.

Not fair to HiVelocity.
    www.DMEHosting.com - DME Hosting LLC | Servers, KVM/OpenVZ VPS's, Email Hosting, Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by CodyRo View Post
    As working with a previous dedicated provider and even with my current job - when you have such a large amount of IP's it's impossible to "check" each one in blacklists. It's a futile effort.
    While this is not the cause of the OP's difficulties, it is possible to check every ip regularly if one is willing to subscribe to a service, or program the required code oneself.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Why was all of your IPs blacklisted? I was on hivelocity for a few months and never got a abuse notice even though our paid clients ran post2host.

You should secure your server more next time or do something to prevent spammers from signing up.

Plus, it is a fact that SPEWS and ASPEWS are not the cause of your SenderBase listing, as nobody serious use them as DNSBL filters (only inadvertised mailserver operators who don't know that they run those lists for a scam and put every known DNSBL on the mailserver configuration).

Hivelocity never really cared to take a look at the cause of the problem. Since I first reported the problem, (which was two hours after we started runnig the server - no email would get along-) their answer was blaming.

Doing a telnet to port 25 and getting a response doesn't mean you have an open relay or are doing anything wrong. It just means there is a SMTP server listening, which off course there was, that is the idea. Customers are to blame even before doing proper tests.

All of the IP's I had were reported, even though I was only using one.
    Check the traffic on the other IP's - you'll see it's been zero for months

It's a matter of how much you care about customers.

Hivelocity never really cared to take a look at the cause of the problem. Since I first reported the problem, (which was two hours after we started runnig the server - no email would get along-) their answer was blaming.

Doing a telnet to port 25 and getting a response doesn't mean you have an open relay or are doing anything wrong. It just means there is a SMTP server listening, which off course there was, that is the idea. Customers are to blame even before doing proper tests.

Is it a managed server ? If not then they do not need to look for the problem as you are the one that needs to look after your server.

I would suggest spending less time pointing fingers at your server provider for your failings, and more time configuring your server to not be less prone to spamming.

All evidence presented, and what SenderBase is showing, confirms that your server is the problem, nothing else. It also supports the fact that HiVelocity is correct. As we say, "The customer is always right - unless they are wrong".

If you are running cPanel/WHM, go in and limit the number of e-mails each domain can send per hour. Go to "Tweak Settings", then you will see the follow option:

The maximum each domain can send out per hour (0 is unlimited)

Set it to 200 (for now).

Contact SenderBase and see if they will be able to tell you what e-mails are responsible for your poor rating. Most likely something that was submitted to SpamCop.

Contact a server management company and get your server hardened and your e-mail services configured properly.

Then, issue a public apology to HiVelocity, and send them cake
    Cpanel/WHM • PHP • Perl • Ruby • Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Hivelocity can show the log files of incoming and outgoing traffic from all Ip's on that server. It's perfectly possible that the IP's had a poor reputation before being assigned.

Was the server managed? If not, Hivelocity doesn't even have to log in to the server. Email services and IP reputation is on the management layer. Another point is that you are talking like all IPs from Hivelocity are blacklisted which is clearly not the case. IPs can be also be monitored for blacklisting. You can automate a monitoring system for example with senderbase.org

If the IPs had bad reputation, they would increase if mail coming from your server is absolutely good. If not, the reputation will gown down the pipe. I think you need to apologize to Hivelocity as your are bashing them in public for no reason other then not being able to properly manage your server.

Hivelocity can show the log files of incoming and outgoing traffic from all Ip's on that server. It's perfectly possible that the IP's had a poor reputation before being assigned.
    Actually, not it is not. According to SenderBase and "Date of first message seen from this address", the first e-mail known to be sent from your main IP (most likely the spam one, as it would go to SpamCop and be brought to their attention) was September 21st (2009-09-21).

If the IP had prior history of spam, the date would be from BEFORE you got the server no??

Heed my advice from my last post and your problems will be dealt with.
    Cpanel/WHM • PHP • Perl • Ruby • Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

So when is a moderator going to change the subject of this thread?
    Steve Eschweiler- Hivelocity- Director of Operations
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

All 5 IP's have poor reputation

Quote Originally Posted by rlshosting View Post
    Why was all of your IPs blacklisted? I was on hivelocity for a few months and never got a abuse notice even though our paid clients ran post2host.

You should secure your server more next time or do something to prevent spammers from signing up.
    Take a look at these IP's reputation:

All of those IP's were assigned to me, NEVER USED (Check traffic on SenderBase) and all have POOR reputation.

Whoever used those IP's before destroyed the reputation, and HiVelocity assigned them and then refused to change them.

SenderBase appears to be using a particularly horrible way of classifying domains, I looked up a few of my own IPs and several were rated "poor" on the sole reason (as far as I could tell) that there had been spam from other IPs in the same /24 subnet. They weren't registered in the SpamCop blocklist or anything. Meaning that if you were running an open relay, you could have broken the rest of the subnet, as far as SenderBase is concerned.

Take a look at these IP's reputation:

All of those IP's were assigned to me, NEVER USED (Check traffic on SenderBase) and all have POOR reputation.

Whoever used those IP's before destroyed the reputation, and HiVelocity assigned them and then refused to change them.
    Camilo99,

My experience with these "blacklist providers" is that they routinely block the subnet or include them in the main spam complaint. I have had an entire Class C aka /24 listed as spam for something a single ip did. Nutty.

I am sorry for your experience but you brought this to a public forum to get feedback, are getting the feedback you wanted and for some reason are chosing to ignore it because it doesn't match with your pre-conceived notions of who was at fault(apparently everyone but yourself).

The FIRST incident was reported after you had the server for 2+ weeks. Thats the very first incident they claim. Stop trying to find fault with the provider and if you really want only the truth, actually READ the entire description. It says the first occurance happened on your watch. The other ips are proabaly a result of the entire subnet being classified as belonging to the same person which it is.

I don't know any other way to say it and I watched this thread hoping you would get it when others pointed it out, but this is your fault not your provider's. Even the best sysadmins make mistakes and clearly yours did. Someone on your watch caused the problem you are now blaming your provider for.

I will amend the thread title.
    Andrι Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

I did a check on my servers in HV and any of those has a poor rep.- Instead of poor, some are good and others are neutral.-

Camilo, when the tech went into your 25's port they found the same hostname that is listed on the database, that's why they told you that is your fault.-

So please, this is not good, HV had have some issues, but this issue is not because of them. And i'm sure, they are improving right now.

Arsenico, that is actually not true. What happened is that I "inherited" the problem from whoever was using those IP's before. I have been doing some research and it turns out that you can't destroy an IP's reputation in just two hours. It takes a lot of time, as it also takes a lot of time to build it back.

You can check the other 4 IP addresses and see that reputation is poor even though I never used them.

Coolraul, you can see that although I received the server on the 5th, traffic started appearing on the 21th. (Check hivelocity's own support responses). We were preparing the server to go live and no traffic was being produced.

The bottomline here is that you can't just blame your customer when he is the one reporting the problem, other IP's not used are also reported and obviously he is trying to work out the problem with the company.

If I was a spammer, would I call to their attention that I was abusing their infrastructure?

The treatment I received was unfair and the support personnel was totally uninterested on our business. This was costly for us.

Check out my record before Hivelocity and also check it after Hivelocity: Our new server, that went live just three days ago, started with a "Neutral" reputation and just moved today to "good" reputation.

No check Hivelocity's IP's reputation: They are still poor, even though er are not using them since Friday!!!

You can check my new server reputation on senderbase: senderbase.org/senderbase_queries/detailip?search_string=69.162.78.42

Well, i have a similar problem with my datacenter, but they always fix. Sometimes an entire ip range is blocked, and i think they can't monitor this.

So, when you get a server, try to verify your ips first.

Nowadays, it's much easier to see an unicorn than getting clean ips.

Depending on where your ip is listed, it's not so hard to delist.

I agree Starbolt; reputation was supposed to increase over some days of well-behaving but that just never happened. We waited for a whole month before deciding to move no another provider.

why lots of negative comment about hivelocity? they should review themselves now.

Camilo, change the host of your new ip (put the same you had in hivelocity) and let me know later

Thanks.