RAID-10 in a shared hosting server

I`m building some Xeon Nehalem servers for shared hosting with cPanel. The servers will be:

Dell PowerEdge R410
    Xeon Nehalem E5502
    12GB DDR3 RAM
    3ware raid controller

But for shared hosting, is it worthy to have a RAID-10, or would a RAID-1 be enough?

We have some Xeon E3xxx servers running with RAID-1 hosting more than 1000 accounts, we hadn`t had any IO/load problem so far.

Thanks

If you are running a hardware RAID controller, I would go RAID 5. That will be fast and give you lots of storage.

It really depends on the type of customers you're dealing with. With us raid-10 is a must as the majority of our users are using PHP with MySQL meaning the drives are getting hit pretty hard with read and write.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

For that machine I would suggest RAID10. RAID-1 is not going to provide enough performance, and RAID-5 is going to struggle a little if you are using MySQL heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by lordcage View Post
    I`m building some Xeon Nehalem servers for shared hosting with cPanel. The servers will be:

Dell PowerEdge R410
    Xeon Nehalem E5502
    12GB DDR3 RAM
    3ware raid controller

But for shared hosting, is it worthy to have a RAID-10, or would a RAID-1 be enough?

We have some Xeon E3xxx servers running with RAID-1 hosting more than 1000 accounts, we hadn`t had any IO/load problem so far.

Thanks
    RAID 10 is always better but to be honest I won't recommend RAID for Shared Hosting servers, instead have a backup server where all your data will be copied on daily basis with all the configuration files. It should be like, just restore all the backed up directories on a new cPanel server and everything comes back online.

If you want I can provide you with the list of all the files/directories that need to be backed up in case of a cPanel server.

The good thing about it is, you will always have a backup of all the websites and the configuration files.
    | LinuxHostingSupport.net
    | Server Setup | Security | Optimization | Troubleshooting | Server Migration
    | Monthly and Task basis services.
    | MSN : madaboutlinux[at]hotmail.com | Skype : madaboutlinux

Quote Originally Posted by madaboutlinux View Post
    RAID 10 is always better but to be honest I won't recommend RAID for Shared Hosting servers, instead have a backup server where all your data will be copied on daily basis with all the configuration files. It should be like, just restore all the backed up directories on a new cPanel server and everything comes back online.

If you want I can provide you with the list of all the files/directories that need to be backed up in case of a cPanel server.

The good thing about it is, you will always have a backup of all the websites and the configuration files.
    so can tell me list of dir need to get backup

but RAID10 is used for reduce I/O wait time? if any shared host haveing high wait time will RAID10 help?
    HostNotch Hosting Services 99.9% uptime Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting
    yajur | Sales Team
    CPanel Hosting R1 Soft Offsite-Backup Great Uptime
    http://hostnotch.com sales @ hostnotch.com

Quote Originally Posted by yajur View Post
    so can tell me list of dir need to get backup

but RAID10 is used for reduce I/O wait time? if any shared host haveing high wait time will RAID10 help?
    You have exceeded your stored private messages quota. Please delete some messages so that I can send you a PM.
    | LinuxHostingSupport.net
    | Server Setup | Security | Optimization | Troubleshooting | Server Migration
    | Monthly and Task basis services.
    | MSN : madaboutlinux[at]hotmail.com | Skype : madaboutlinux

You have exceeded your stored private messages quota. Please delete some messages so that I can send you a PM.
    yep cleared can you resend it again thanks
    yajur | Sales Team

Why not just share the info here so we can all learn?

Then you need twice as many servers which is costly. Also the down time in bringing the new server online. I'd much rather have a layer of protection like raid for drive failures. Resort to backups which take much longer to restore last.

I don't know though we've had a fair share of drive failures and raid has been a life saver. Most cases just swap the drive while the machine is online and rebuild and everything is good once again.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

Well we actually do RAID-1 in all our hosting servers. As we are buying more powerful servers this week, I was wondering about it.

We have decided to keep RAID-10 for some reasons:

1) Faster IO speeds
    2) Each disk should last longer, as they should get less reads and writes (the IO tasks are divided by 2)
    3) The server will be usable to host 10-20% more sites than in RAID-1. That should represent a good economy for us in the mid term

Remember we're talking about shared hosting. If it's a VPS server, RAID-10 is mandatory and there's no discussion about it.

Having RAID-1 VPS servers is a waste of time and money.
    Copahost.com | Established in 2008
    Managed dedicated servers - Activation in 4 hours | Managed & Cheap VPS servers (KVM) - Instant activation
    █ cPanel/WHM | Microsoft SPLA Partner | R1Soft | CloudLinux | Paypal & BTC payments
    Datacenters in Portugal and Germany | Many servers in stock | For custom configurations: sales @ copahost.com

I won't recommend RAID for Shared Hosting servers
    Personally, I wont run any server without RAID.

Quote Originally Posted by lordcage View Post
    2) Each disk should last longer, as they should get less reads and writes (the IO tasks are divided by 2)
    That is the case for SSDs, but I doubt it is for disk drives.

if i have 4*1.5TB HDD setup in RAID10 can i get 3TB usable space also it possible to add another HDD with RAID to use full space for cpanel backup

will the RAID10 will reduce the I/O wait time?
    yajur | Sales Team