Secure web space costs???

Hi All,

I'm working for an organisation which is looking for a company who can provide us with a public website to be updated with a CMS and 132 secure areas which should be accessible from that public website.

Today I was sent a proposal by them stating that there would be a cost per year of:

£3,350 for data storage areas of up to 20mb space per secure area (i.e. £25 per secure area)

£6,700 for data storage areas of up to 75mb space per secure area (i.e. £50.70 per secure area)

We really would prefer much more space per area than this (upwards of 2GB per area) and are a bit wary of how much is being charged for the storage space.

I have three questions on this :

1) How do these prices compare with other hosts that you know of? Are they reasonable?
    2) Is this 'secure space' much more expensive than normal space?
    3) Are there hosts that offer unlimited secure space for reasonable prices?

Btw, these are the facilities that this host provides:

6 redundant Internet connections
    24x7x365 onsite support
    Fire protection
    Backup power generators
    Daily back up to magnetic tape media
    Anti virus protection for all uploaded content
    Industry Standard Cisco firewalls

Thanks.

GH

Why not just get a dedicated server with a good set of hard drives at a solid provider? What exactly do you mean by "secure storage"?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Why not just get a dedicated server with a good set of hard drives at a solid provider? What exactly do you mean by "secure storage"?
    I'm quite confused as well. Do you mean encrypted storage?
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

Sorry, by secure I just meant that each storage area must be on a secure server and password protected as they will contain files with personal data.

I just want to get some idea of whether these storage costs are much higher than normal.

Ideally we would like to go with this company as they already a host a website which ours would become a part of. Certain groups of all users registered to that site would have access to ours too so we won't have to go giving our members new logins. The problem is that we would need GB's of space per secure area and not just 75MB's.

Thanks.

What are you planning on storing in these storage areas that is personal/confidential?

This sounds like something you may want to do in-house... I mean is it actually web hosting you're looking for ? If it's just to store data about clients then I don't know why you would need GBs of storage?

If you can elaborate on your needs a bit, that will help a bit.

You're probably best off going with a strong Dedicated Server with a nice array of hard drives in it. You could even split it into a web server and a backend data server. Of course, this route would require that you have some know how in order to set it all up or pay someone to do that for you. I believe you could get WAY more storage space for the same price this way. In fact, you may even end up paying less.

What are you planning on storing in these storage areas that is personal/confidential?

This sounds like something you may want to do in-house... I mean is it actually web hosting you're looking for ? If it's just to store data about clients then I don't know why you would need GBs of storage?

If you can elaborate on your needs a bit, that will help a bit.
    Each secure area will be used by a school and the files will contain all sorts of data about achievement, attendance, future targets etc. We want each area to act as a 'repository' of archived data so with some of these databases being 50mb each, we will quickly surpass the limits already offered to us. It obviously needs to be very secure because of the chances of pupil level data being included in the files but it is not something we can provide in house because of our lack of ICT resources.

Again, I'm really just looking for an idea of how much storage space 'should' cost if there is an answer to this so that I can speak to this company again about making us an alternative offer. We know that they have the Content and user Management facilities that we need but the cost and restricted storage space is too much of an issue.

Many Thanks for the quick replies. Much appreciated.

Just a couple questions:
    How will this data be accessed (web site/sftp/etc.) and stored (database/flat files/mix/...)?

Quote Originally Posted by InsDel View Post
    Just a couple questions:
    How will this data be accessed (web site/sftp/etc.) and stored (database/flat files/mix/...)?
    Not really sure if this answers your question but data we will have a public facing web site for all schools and then depending on which school logs in, there will be a menu link to a secure area where they can view any files specific to them in a folder structure. I'm not sure how of the technical details of how that will be done.

Would password protected folders be enough security? But without knowing what methods are used its hard to come up with a plan.
    NationhostUK - International Hosting Provider
    UK, US & Asia based servers - Shared, VPS & Dedi
    LancasterSecure - Secure Online Solutions
    www.lancastersecure.co.uk - 01934 310013

It sounds to me like you need something custom set up for this - especially with the type of data you may be handling. The initial setup is likely going to be expensive but depending on who you work with you may be able to get lower operating costs.

I would try to find a local provider to work with.

What exactly do you mean by "secure storage"?
    He could mean, something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttVgWwGFMw

Quote Originally Posted by jardin View Post
    He could mean, something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttVgWwGFMw
    Don't want anyone stealing or tampering with those servers. All that steel isn't going to stop a hacker.. haha.
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

I would not put that sort of data on a shared server. You should definitely look into getting a managed server, making sure that your potential provider understands the nature of the data and your other requirements. I believe the price you've been quoted is too high, for the amount of space given.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by Hiveon View Post
    Don't want anyone stealing or tampering with those servers. All that steel isn't going to stop a hacker.. haha.
    Yeah haha

Quote Originally Posted by Hiveon View Post
    All of that "protection" and they're still using a standard CRT monitor to watch the server rooms?